Vincent Hanna from "Heat" does a good Crockett impression from "Give a Little..."

Guest myonlyvice

Guest myonlyvice

Has anybody ever noticed the similarity in body language, speaking style and demeanor between Al Pacino's Vincent Hanna character from "Heat" and Crockett from "Give a Little, Take a Little", particularly in the scene where he and Tubbs bust Bob Rickert at that Attanasio warehouse early in the episode? What's funny about it is that everything about Crockett's behavior in this scene seems out of character, almost like he's playing a different character and not Sonny. He's boisterous, overly demonstrative, smashing things, chewing (smacking) gum, and, in general, just showing an alltogether different personality. This combination of traits perfectly describes not Crockett (usually), but Hanna from "Heat", who wouldn't appear for another 11 years. Whether it was a coincidence or not on Michael Mann's part, the similarity is undeniable.

• Administrators

Yes they are. I don't know why the change other then to play the "bad guy" cop and scare the kid into telling him what he wanted to know.

Don Johnson would have made a better Hanna in L.A. Takedown, Mann's original version of Heat (with all due respect to the late Scott Plank).

I recently bought HEAT for the full effect of enjoyment when I wanted and completely forgot Mann directed it and when I watched for the first time since a long time ago it seemed alot of the filming style and angles seemed all too familiar...Yep, another Vice quality brought to some more recent film...Then it dawned on my...A Michael Mann Production. What a signature of his work. Awesome!:thumbsup:...My 2¢...Mike

Guest myonlyvice
Don Johnson would have made a better Hanna in L.A. Takedown' date=' Mann's original version of Heat (with all due respect to the late Scott Plank).[/quote'] I agree. And his (Johnson's) age would not have been a problem, either. I don't know of it was done with makeup or a lack of it or what but I've always been amazed how much older and frazzled DJ looked in season five ('88-'89) than he did in his other appearances throughout the 90's. Take "Guilty as Sin" for example. He looks significantly younger there than he did in S5.

Guest myonlyvice
I recently bought HEAT for the full effect of enjoyment when I wanted and completely forgot Mann directed it and when I watched for the first time since a long time ago it seemed alot of the filming style and angles seemed all too familiar...Yep' date=' another Vice quality brought to some more recent film...Then it dawned on my...A Michael Mann Production. What a signature of his work. Awesome!:thumbsup:...My 2¢...Mike[/quote'] "Heat" is a masterpiece. I was blown away when I saw it in the theaters in '95. The whole time I felt as if I were watching a more modern iteration of Vice, kind of like Vice only in an alternate universe.

I agree. And his (Johnson's) age would not have been a problem' date=' either. I don't know of it was done with makeup or a lack of it or what but I've always been amazed how much older and frazzled DJ looked in season five ('88-'89) than he did in his other appearances throughout the 90's. Take "Guilty as Sin" for example. He looks significantly younger there than he did in S5.[/quote'] There was a People magazine article from 1987 about the Sonny/Caitlin marriage that commented on DJ's weight gain, which he had attributed to quitting smoking. I thought that made him look older, and I thought that he slimmed down a bit later for Season 5, but you're right, he does look a bit older than he did in the early 90s.The same thing happened to David Soul on Starsky and Hutch. In the final season (78/79), he looked bloated, tired and old; a few years later, in the mid-80s, he looked slim, youthful, like he hadn't aged a bit in 10 years.