dear dumb Dio died

Guest myonlyvice

Guest myonlyvice

You know that dude with red hair who was always in the background, from the pilot episode all the way to the series finale, but never had a speaking part (hence "dumb")? We learn his name was "Dio" at some point in season one. I just noticed he was killed in "Freefall". It happened while he was guarding a safe house I believe. He got stabbed. Anybody ever notice this? I've always found it amazing that the same extra would be used over the course of an entire series so consistently. He must have been involved with the production somehow and just enjoyed frequent cameo appearances. Anybody know this guy's real name? There was also the big, bald dude who was always smoking a cigar who was there for all five seasons. Not sure if he was in the finale and if he lived. Can anybody shed some light on these guys?

for a second I thought this was going to be a memorial thread for Ronnie James DioEDIT: I just googled him and I found out he died a couple of months back. I had no idea. I didn't hear about it.Rest in peace. Holy Diver is a kickass song

for a second I thought this was going to be a memorial thread for Ronnie James DioUPDATE: I just googled him and I found out he died a couple of months back. Holy crap! I had no idea. I didn't hear about it.Oh well' date=' rest in peace. Holy Diver is a kickass song[/quote']Yeah Dio passed away a while back, the title of this thread gave me pause.Also thought is was about him.Dear Dumb Dio? ?(

Guest myonlyvice

I had no idea RJD recently passed away or I would have thought of a different title. No disrespect intended to him or anybody else. I'm just a sucker for cheesy alliteration.

• Administrators

I can picture the bald dude with the cigar but not the kid with the red hair.How about a screen shot of him?

Guest myonlyvice

I can picture the bald dude with the cigar but not the kid with the red hair.How about a screen shot of him?

I'd love to oblige but I don't know how to do that. I'm generally pretty bad with stuff like that. I think one of his more conspicuous appearances was in "Lombard". In that scene where they're out in open water he was the guy who Sonny left on the St. Vitus. He's one of the few males in the show other than Evan Freed who had red hair.

Guest myonlyvice

There's also the red headed crooked cop from England in "Irish Eyes". There may be a couple of other reds too but it should be pretty easy to identify Dio. He's the only red headed police officer extra. Keep your eye open for him when inside OCB. Maybe as a tangent we can see how many red heads folks can identify in the entire series.

I don't believe his name was "dio".What episode says that is his name?They did mention a name for him before. I know the name, but am saving it for a trivia question, but I'm just trying to remember what episode it was to prove it before I start the trivia question.

Very interesting thread, myonlyvice. You don't need to post screenshots, just tell us some more episodes and scenes in which he appears.

I always thought that his name was Diehl (John Diehl :)), or something like that. I remember Switek saying his name in some episode where they moved desks etc. in the OCB. the ep could have been The Big Thaw... Guess i'll have to watch that again to get confirmation.

• Like 1

I'd love to oblige but I don't know how to do that. I'm generally pretty bad with stuff like that. I think one of his more conspicuous appearances was in "Lombard". In that scene where they're out in open water he was the guy who Sonny left on the St. Vitus. He's one of the few males in the show other than Evan Freed who had red hair.

I think the poor shlub that Vanessa killed in The Great McCarthy had red hair.

I think the poor shlub that Vanessa killed in The Great McCarthy had red hair.

Gifford.Read the vintage article about him in the SCRAPBOOK section. He got arrested!! (LOTS of unique, and fun things are to be discovered in the scrapbook section)

Guest myonlyvice
Very interesting thread' date=' myonlyvice. You don't need to post screenshots, just tell us some more episodes and scenes in which he appears.[/quote'] First, I really appreciate the interest so many have shown in this thread. I would like to name multiple eps. and scenes where Dio can be found but since he's only an extra this would be a very tedious process. He appears in so many episodes you just have to mindful to keep an eye out for him and I promise you'll see him. I do have some more helpful information however. Frequently, though not always, during the first season, Dio can be spotted sitting at the desk just inside those front double swinging doors of OCB, under the walkie-talkies. Now there are at least two guys who I've seen sitting at that desk during the first season and, amazingly, both have variations of red hair. I know this sounds crazy but bear with me. The first is a bit heavy set and sports a beard sometimes. His hair appears reddish = not fully red. This is NOT Dio. Dio, the other sometimes-occupant of that desk, is thin, pale, and has pure, straight red hair. I just watched "Prodigal Son" and Dio can be seen walking out those swinging double doors just as C&T are returning from NYC at the very end of the ep. I hope this helps. And by the way, I always watch Vice with the English subtitles on because sometimes the dialogue can be hard to understand. The name was rendered at the bottom as "Dio", I assure you. I just wish I could remember the episode. I thought is was first or second season but now I'm not so sure anymore. But it's in there. I'm not making it up...

Guest myonlyvice

I just learned today that both Dio and the bald cigar guy had very small speaking rolls. Bald guy speaks "Little Miss Dangerous" and Dio speaks in "Free Verse" If you're still wondering who Dio is, in this particualr episode he's the guy with red hair wheeling Sandoval into the strategy room at OCB. They are followed by C&T and Castillo. Once you identify him you'll notice him everywhere. He's like the Waldo of Vice. So is the bald guy to a lesser extent. Happy hunting.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest myonlyvice
I always thought that his name was Diehl (John Diehl :))' date=' or something like that. I remember Switek saying his name in some episode where they moved desks etc. in the OCB. the ep could have been The Big Thaw... Guess i'll have to watch that again to get confirmation.[/quote'] You were right on with the episode. Thanks for the tip! I finally got around to watching "Big Thaw" and learned what I needed to know so this question could be put to bed. The large, stout dude with reddish-blond hair from the beginning of "Big Thaw", named "Dio", was not the person who I had in mind who got stabbed in "Freefall". The person stabbed was named "Mark". He is identified as such in "Free Verse". (I apologize that my previous posts have been misleading. When I wrote in the earlier post that the red head from "Free Verse" was named "Dio" I actually did know that he was called "Mark" in that episode but I withheld this information because I thought C&B might want to use it for his trivia question. He later told me not to worry about it.) Like Dio, Mark too has red hair but is thinner and somewhat taller. They both will sit (at different times) at the same desk in OCB under the walkie-talkies which contributed greatly to the confusion. All in all I would say Mark made more on-screen appearances than Dio, though both are present from the very beginning. If anybody can identify a scene where both guys can be seen on camera at the same time I would be most appreciative if you would let me know. Be aware that Dio sometimes has a beard and Mark likes to wear those blue button down shirts with a plunging "V" neckline. It's amazing an extra like Mark would span the entire series and then get whacked in the final episode. I actually think it's one of the things Vice got perfect in an era when much of the magic of earlier years had been lost. I absolutely love continuity like this in a TV series. I think you can't edit the title of a thread but if it were possible I would call this one "Mute Mark Meets Maker".