a change in film color quality after season one?

Guest myonlyvice

Guest myonlyvice

Has anybody noticed how the colors and the overall appearance of Vice from the first season look different from the other four. The film used in season one delivers a finished product which has the look of other television shows from the seventies and early eighties. The colors are not as vibrant as they would become. On the other hand, sometime during season two or perhaps late during season one, the colors started coming across bolder and it was this "look" that, I think, defines Miami Vice.

Has anybody noticed how the colors and the overall appearance of Vice from the first season look different from the other four. The film used in season one delivers a finished product which has the look of other television shows from the seventies and early eighties. The colors are not as vibrant as they would become. On the other hand' date=' sometime during season two or perhaps late during season one, the colors started coming across bolder and it was this "look" that, I think, defines Miami Vice.[/quote'] Didn't the producers start the whole repainting of buildings project in Season 2? (If the color of a building didn't match the shot they were seeking, they'd just repaint the building?) Some of the Season 1 episodes look aged, as well. Glades and The Maze, for some reason, look grainy and old, like they weren't able to remaster those particular shows for DVD.Season 1 looks a lot more bolder and stylish than Season 5 does. Season 5 has a USA Network look to it that is hard to describe sometimes!

Season 5 has a USA Network look to it that is hard to describe sometimes!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you see a USA network logo on a MV DVD, you have a bootleg, right?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong' date=' but if you see a USA network logo on a MV DVD, you have a bootleg, right?[/quote'] Yes, it would have been taped off cable if you see that logo. But what I meant was the way Season 5 was filmed; it had more of a cheap, syndicated "made for cable" look to it rather than the big-budget, filmic, Michael Mann style of the early seasons.It'd be interesting to find out how much they spent per episode over five years.

Has anybody noticed how the colors and the overall appearance of Vice from the first season look different from the other four. The film used in season one delivers a finished product which has the look of other television shows from the seventies and early eighties. The colors are not as vibrant as they would become. On the other hand' date=' sometime during season two or perhaps late during season one, the colors started coming across bolder and it was this "look" that, I think, defines Miami Vice.[/quote'] I would say there was more of a color saturation look from Season Three onward. My guess is when Dick Wolf started producing the show he wanted more of an "in your face" type look. The contrast is definitely much more defined from Season Three onward, Seasons One and Two are more "grainy-looking" (IMO)...

Guest myonlyvice
I would say there was more of a color saturation look from Season Three onward. My guess is when Dick Wolf started producing the show he wanted more of an "in your face" type look. The contrast is definitely much more defined from Season Three onward' date=' Seasons One and Two are more "grainy-looking" (IMO)...[/quote'] I don't remember S2 being all that grainy, especially when compared with early season one episodes, but I'm about to start watching it straight through again in the next few days. I'll update afterwards. Thanks for the comments.

Yes' date=' it would have been taped off cable if you see that logo. But what I meant was the way Season 5 was filmed; it had more of a cheap, syndicated "made for cable" look to it rather than the big-budget, filmic, Michael Mann style of the early seasons.It'd be interesting to find out how much they spent per episode over five years.[/quote']Anyone else notice how it was dark in OCB quite often the final season? Like somebody forgot to pay the electricity bill. ?(

Anyone else notice how it was dark in OCB quite often the final season? Like somebody forgot to pay the electricity bill. ?(

Like in Borrasca when EJO and Brion James are talking in Castillo's pitch black office.

Yes.

For that matter, Reese (James) visits Castillo two times in dark settings in Borrasca; once, at OCB, and before that, at Castillo's house where he eats all his food! :eek:

For that matter' date=' Reese (James) visits Castillo two times in dark settings in Borrasca; once, at OCB, and before that, at Castillo's house where he eats all his food! :eek:[/quote'] Yeah I remember that scene.

For that matter' date=' Reese (James) visits Castillo two times in dark settings in Borrasca; once, at OCB, and before that, at Castillo's house where he eats all his food! :eek:[/quote'] Maybe he just likes the dark! hehehe