rank the season finales

Guest myonlyvice

1. Sons and LoversMV at its absolute peak -- Season 2, high ratings, MV Mania worldwide. Mann and Co. do a great job revisiting the Calderone storyline. My only regret is that apart from The Afternoon Plane the following year, we never, ever heard again about the loss of Tubbs' family, and that could be the biggest missed opportunity the show ever had ... IMO, this one is more powerful than Deliver Us From Evil.2. Mirror ImageA great cliffhanger episode with an ending that leaves you on the edge of your seat when being left on the edge of your seat hadn't become the tired TV trend we expect out of every other show out there these days. The Bergman-esque, cinema verite dream sequence on the beach is something maybe they should have explored more on MV. What would have been cooler was if the producers decided to keep Sonny as Burnett for most, if not all, of Season 5, leaving Tubbs, Castillo and the rest of OCB to track him down through Miami.3. FreefallNot as good as other two-hour episodes, but a solid effort considering the cast and crew knew this was the last one, so you can tell they put extra into it. It's a shame it was the last episode of the series, because it really is the first and only time the Vice Vibe came back, which went away sometime in Season 3. Plus, the final scene is among the best in TV history. Repeating "Hey Tubbs, you ever consider a career in southern law enforcement?" from the Pilot is pure gold.4. Heroes of the RevolutionI have a soft spot for Gina and I always though Saundra Santiago did a good job in Gina-based episodes where her personal life and background are explored. I am admittedly a fan of When Irish Eyes are Crying, and I think based on the strength of that as the season opener, they decided to close the season with a Gina story. I thought she and Jeroen Krabbe had good chemistry, and honestly, I found Gina's singing more believable than Caitlin's the following year. I like the ending, too; the more abrupt, the more realistic ... reuniting after decades only to part ways once more, never to see each other again.5. LombardDennis Farina is funny and puts a nice, new, likeable twist on the role, which he could have easily played like your typical mobster. But this one just played like a standard episode to me that doesn't stand out from other Season 1 fare like Glades. Considering that MV was climbing to its apex at this point in early '85, it makes it more evident that Season 1 went out on too quiet of a note. But Prodigal Son made up for it the following year.

Guest neworder

Mirror ImageFreefallSons and LoversLombardHeroes of the RevolutionTo be fair they are all strong episodes apart from Heroes of the revolution which is atrocious !!!

Guest myonlyvice
1. Sons and LoversMV at its absolute peak -- Season 2' date=' high ratings, MV Mania worldwide. Mann and Co. do a great job revisiting the Calderone storyline. My only regret is that apart from The Afternoon Plane the following year, we never, ever heard again about the loss of Tubbs' family, and that could be the biggest missed opportunity the show ever had ... IMO, this one is more powerful than Deliver Us From Evil.2. Mirror ImageA great cliffhanger episode with an ending that leaves you on the edge of your seat when being left on the edge of your seat hadn't become the tired TV trend we expect out of every other show out there these days. The Bergman-esque, cinema verite dream sequence on the beach is something maybe they should have explored more on MV. What would have been cooler was if the producers decided to keep Sonny as Burnett for most, if not all, of Season 5, leaving Tubbs, Castillo and the rest of OCB to track him down through Miami.3. FreefallNot as good as other two-hour episodes, but a solid effort considering the cast and crew knew this was the last one, so you can tell they put extra into it. It's a shame it was the last episode of the series, because it really is the first and only time the Vice Vibe came back, which went away sometime in Season 3. Plus, the final scene is among the best in TV history. Repeating "Hey Tubbs, you ever consider a career in southern law enforcement?" from the Pilot is pure gold.4. Heroes of the RevolutionI have a soft spot for Gina and I always though Saundra Santiago did a good job in Gina-based episodes where her personal life and background are explored. I am admittedly a fan of When Irish Eyes are Crying, and I think based on the strength of that as the season opener, they decided to close the season with a Gina story. I thought she and Jeroen Krabbe had good chemistry, and honestly, I found Gina's singing more believable than Caitlin's the following year. I like the ending, too; the more abrupt, the more realistic ... reuniting after decades only to part ways once more, never to see each other again.5. LombardDennis Farina is funny and puts a nice, new, likeable twist on the role, which he could have easily played like your typical mobster. But this one just played like a standard episode to me that doesn't stand out from other Season 1 fare like Glades. Considering that MV was climbing to its apex at this point in early '85, it makes it more evident that Season 1 went out on too quiet of a note. But Prodigal Son made up for it the following year.[/quote'] "Sons and Lovers" is a 5 star episode from start to finish, no question. "Mirror Image" is too. But I find the latter to be just a tiny bit more compelling than the former. Watching Sonny become Burnett and try to kill Tubbs while Jan Hammer sings his swan song is almost TOO much. I know it makes no sense but it's too perfect. And though I've never thought to make the comparison, "S&L" is more compelling than "Deliver Us from Evil". Caitlin was so naggy, and while I felt sorry for Sonny and his grief, it was a bit of a relief not to have to listen to her any more. Sonny never actually got to hold his child either like Tubbs did. Tubbs getting his revenge followed by the funeral sequence with the Phil Collins song was brilliant. "Lombard" is worth 4.5 stars. The whole time they are holed up at the hotel, from the Italian dinner Lombard cooked and their conversation with him to the shoot out the following day, was Vice at its best. I like it when they tell more stories about characters that have already been introduced, like Lombard. I actually wish they did more of this in Vice. "Freefall" was simply a solid episode but in no way exceptional except for the fact that it was the series finale. The handshake and conversation at the end were great as was the music but this should be expected as it's the last episode. The actual story was not all that compelling and if it were run mid-season I wager it would be consided nothing more than a decent effort by most everybody. "Heroes of the Revolution" is just not good and that's all I want to say about it.

My opinion1. Sons and lovers2. Freefall3. Lombard4. Mirror Image5. Heroes of the revolutionnny and his grief, it was a bit of a relief not to have to listen to her any more. Sonny never actually got to hold his child either like Tubbs did. Tubbs getting his revenge followed by the funeral sequence with the Phil Collins song was brilliant. "Lombard" is worth 4.5 stars. The whole time they are holed up at the hotel, from the Italian dinner Lombard cooked and their conversation with him to the shoot out the following day, was Vice at its best. I like it when they tell more stories about characters that have already been introduced, like Lombard. I actually wish they did more of this in Vice. "Freefall" was simply a solid episode but in no way exceptional except for the fact that it was the series finale. The handshake and conversation at the end were great as was the music but this should be expected as it's the last episode. The actual story was not all that compelling and if it were run mid-season I wager it would be consided nothing more than a decent effort by most everybody. "Heroes of the Revolution" is just not good and that's all I want to say about it.

1. Mirror ImageCrockett loses his memory, shoots his partner and blasts a corrupt cop before speeding off in a boat while Tubbs shouts "Sooonnnnnyyyy!" in slo-mo, the episode that marks that the next season of Vice may be the last.2. LombardA great bookend for Season One, they brought good closure for the Lombard stuff in Season One and brought the First Season to a somewhat more subtle end.3. FreefallWhile I don't particularly care for the end of the series, I would have prefered something going down in Miami that would have triggered the loss of their jobs but the final scene is well done without a bunch of Vice cops standing around blubbering for ten minutes but a scene where they just accept it and go on their ways.4. Heroes of the RevolutionGood episode, just not significant enough to be a season finale.5. Sons and LoversWith exception to reviewing it, I usually avoid this episode, it feels too random for me, all of a sudden the daughter of Calderone comes to Miami and has Tubbs' baby, then of course there is always a crazy psycho brother out to kill Tubbs but ends up killing his own sister and Tubbs' son, then we get to see Tubbs model a new pair of sunglasses, I'm sorry, I know there are people here who probably were "moved by it, I was kind of bored by it.