LABOR DAY. Do Anything?

COOPER&BURNETT

Happy Labor day in the U.S..Not really sure why we have such a holliday. Why not a day to honor those that make dinner? Pay the bills? Whatever..... Anyway, I have one day off (I don't get a holliday 3 day weekend, as I work the weekends).I'm going to have a huge steak dinner at a restaurant. My family is visiting, and will take me out for my birthday dinner.I might move more stuff to my storage facility too. I'm not sure what I'm going to do actually for most of the day. I can do anything I wish.What did you do for LABOR DAY?

• Administrators

Happy Labor day in the U.S..Not really sure why we have such a holliday.

Labor Day celebrates the economic and social achievements of workers, specifically the eight-hour day movement, which advocated eight hours for work, eight hours for recreation, and eight hours for rest. President Grover Cleveland made it a federal holiday in 1894, following the deaths of a number of workers at the hands of the U.S. military and U.S. Marshals during a strike.Me? I'm watching the U.S. Nationals which is the biggest drag race of the year for the NHRA. I'm not a beach person so forget the Jersey shore. Besides I might run into Snookie and her crew which would definitely land me in jail! Everyone and their mother flock to the shore this weekend because it's, it's...OMG, THE END OF SUMMER!!I say good ridance! Bring on the Fall!!

What did you do for LABOR DAY?

Funny enough :DThis year it was my first working day after the holidays :cry::cry::cry: (I work at a college). So I laboured :cry: (We have such a holiday on the 1st of May)PS. And then I cooked mushrooms. So in case I never appear here...

Like in many European countries, Labour (yes, I know, most of you spell it "Labor" but at university I specialized in "British Studies" :D so I usually stick to British English although when I watch too many MV episodes in a row, my accent changes a bit :)) Day in Poland is celebrated (although it's a bad word as we don't really celebrate this occasion as we still remember the obligation of attending official festivities in the communist times) on 1st of May. It's still a day off in our country and for many people it's the beginning of a long weekend as 3rd of May is Constitution Day, our national holiday and also a day off work. We had the second constitution in the world, after the American one and the first in Europe, a few months older than the famous French one.At the festive weekend I used to relax and then to get ready for school leaving examinations - 19 year olds start taking them in the first week of May and I always work as exam invigilator then :D. I'm using past tense because I don't know what future might bring - mine is rather bleak... :(

So far, I've been just downloading videos from YOU TUBE. I get a kick out of the crank calls people make, and post. Especially the ones from soundboards. :)

Looks like all my neighbors are home today. I'm off today, then I work tomorrow, then I'll take the next three days off, work three days, and then take two days off.I can't take my fith week of vacation until October.

Just stayed home at tried to get some rest, don't have to return to work until Thursday.Been watching Grey's Anatomy on dvd, completed seasons 1-5 so far.Also squeezed in some MV, Definitely Miami and Yankee Dollar.

I make dinner AND pay the bills, instead of making more holidays, let's just institutionalize a 4 1/2 day work week! This weekend (Sun.) I went camping, haven't done that in forever. It was just an outdoor community of RVs with tents and benches around them, but even so, it was good to make me long for home for a night while flopping around in my sleeping bag on the hard ground.But the true event of the weekend was seeing the reclusive TEARS FOR FEARS play, their rare performances tours de force toujours. I am heaping tons of their great and maybe lesser known songs on my blog, help yourself.

I worked two of the three days (Sat. Sun.) :thumbsdown:I ate a wonderful 16 oz New York steak this evening at a wonderful steakhouse. Got several cards, gift cards for clothes (:thumbsup:) food, and ca$h. Back to work tomorrow, up at 6am. :evil:

Reading this, I realize we all need to hang out someday and go out! (No cameras allowed, if necessary.) Coop, glad we didn't miss your burfday, I thought maybe we had forgotten, for which we would need to come up with some zany sitcom-like solution to resolve.

My Labor DayI got to have my 2 sisters, who live in Missouri, come down to Texas and see me. They left today, and since my grandmother's health is failing, she donated her Crown Victoria, painted black. Looks like an FBI car, haha.Also, another thing happened. My girlfriend broke up with me today, stating that I was more of a friend than a boyfriend. How sad... :thumbsdown:

Sorry to hear the bad news dude. Cheer up' date=' maybe the next one will be better! :thumbsup:[/quote'] Thanks for the encouragement. I really appreciate it. :cool:

My girlfriend broke up with me today' date=' stating that I was more of a friend than a boyfriend. How sad... :thumbsdown:[/quote'] Everything, that happens, is for the best;)

I got to have my 2 sisters' date=' who live in Missouri, come down to Texas and see me. They left today, and since my grandmother's health is failing, she donated her Crown Victoria, painted black. Looks like an FBI car, haha.Also, another thing happened. My girlfriend broke up with me today, stating that I was more of a friend than a boyfriend. How sad... :thumbsdown:[/quote'] Sorry to read your labor day wasn't that festive.I hope everything goes a bit better by now!

I worked two of the three days (Sat. Sun.) :thumbsdown:I ate a wonderful 16 oz New York steak this evening at a wonderful steakhouse. Got several cards' date=' gift cards for clothes (:thumbsup:) food, and ca$h. Back to work tomorrow, up at 6am. :evil:[/quote'] I have to get up at 05:30 from monday till friday :cry::eek: week after week after.....So I feel your pain for having to get op at 6 am.

In Grmany, Labor day is also celebrated on May 1st, but as I´m working in a nursing home, there´s no difference between a holiday and a normal day... except of that they payment is much better on a holiday!:)

I got to have my 2 sisters' date=' who live in Missouri, come down to Texas and see me. They left today, and since my grandmother's health is failing, she donated her Crown Victoria, painted black. Looks like an FBI car, haha.Also, another thing happened. My girlfriend broke up with me today, stating that I was more of a friend than a boyfriend. How sad... :thumbsdown:[/quote'] I hope your grandma is o.k.I have read countless dating threads on Fark (they're always hilarious) and concluded that there is not much of a rational anything in dating. Maybe you can call her up in a few months and see how she's doing. Sorry about that bad news, man. For now, be happy with your freedom! (I am with mine, and also happy for my dog.)

• 2 weeks later...