Junk Love: Miami Vice was ahead of it's time.

23 ways

In addition to being controversial and touchy the episode of "Junk love" was a head of it's time. With actress Mckenzie Phillips admitting that her father comitted incest with her for several years as well as recent movies addressing the same subject matter this episode almost seemed necessary. As a child I was initially confused by this episode when it aired back in 85 because I was shocked that an issue such as this would be allowed on broadcast tv as well as the fact that it wasn't revealed until the very end (although Ferrariman told me on another site that Rosella called Silva daddy at the end of Segment 4 and NBC dubbed the word honey)What's your take?

• Administrators

Yes it was controversial for the time period. In my opinion even moreso, or at least equal to, a mother selling her daughter for drugs ("Too Much, Too Late") Perhaps that little dubbing of the word "honey" was the censors way of delaying Rosella's secret, and creating a classic shock ending.Great to see you here 23! What took you so long? ;)

We were supposed to be confused as to what was going on. So were CROCKETT AND TUBBS.TOO MUCH, TOO LATE was so controversial at the time, NBC never showed it. It was shown on cable TV for the first time.The dirty secret was a shock.

Guest myonlyvice

I've always liked this episode. I don't know enough about the content of other shows from this era to say if it was ahead of its time but it would not surprise me if it were the first major network program to deal with such a topic. Before it is revealed that they are father and daughter you can plainly see them kiss for just a second before the angle is changed and all that remains visible is the father's head. I doubt they would have been able to show that kiss if the truth behind their relationship were already revealed. This episode also appeared to have some incidental nudity in it (an exposed nipple)when Rosella leans over and exposes her chest at the vacated brothel when speaking to Gina and Trudy. This is a very intriguing episode and quite unique with its pacing. Many have commented that they find it boring but I disagree. I love it. One of season two's many, many gems.

This episode also appeared to have some incidental nudity in it (an exposed nipple)when Rosella leans over and exposes her chest at the vacated brothel when speaking to Gina and Trudy.

She's so flat chested, it really doesn't matter. :)