What if Lt. Rodriguez lived?

Spyder

Or to put it another way, what if Gregory Sierra decided to stay on the show, and they didn't kill off his character? How would the show have been different with him in all the episodes we know and love?With Castillo, we were introduced to the most unique character in a cop show to that point -- a brooding, taciturn, yet fearless commanding officer with an almost Buddhist personality towards viewing right vs. wrong.Rodriguez was akin more to the typical police lieutenant of so many other shows. He was loud and brash like Crockett and I don't know if the contrast we ended up seeing between Crockett and Castillo would have ever happened.

I don't think it would've lasted as many seasons without Castillo. Rodriguez was always the typical loud-mouthed Lt. while the people in the show were usually different than most other shows, especially Castillo. Castillo was quiet, and knew how to handle business, while Rodriguez seemed like the skimmer, and the man who would use his men up until they died. I personally think he was the guy that would sit around with his feet on his desk, watching football and eating a lot of donuts, maybe too many.Not saying he was a bad character, but he was too typical. Too bland, for my taste.

an even better show would have resulted. i prefered lou to castillo

How do you think the show would've fared better, Shill? With Castillo, we got episodes like Golden Triangle, Heart of Night and Bushido. Would we have seen stories centered on Lou?

Intriguing question! Certainly, a lot would have been lost without having Castillo who only sees things are either right or wrong, and also dresses that way (black and white). His back story was based on MICHAEL MANN's travels in the Golden Triangle (and he wrote a screenplay about it, but hasn't made a film on it, because times and circumstances have changed in Burma and Thailand).If the other changes that took place happened when Castillo showed up, had taken place when Lou was there, it would have been different, but it may not have been that bad. I think Crockett and Lou would have been like a father and son relationship over time had he lived. They both respected each other, and Lou knew how to to keep him in line...Through yelling.Castillo could do it with just a look, or glare without raising his voice.I'm envisoning Lou would have the same relationship with Crockett that Castillo did filling the shoes.Castillo was mysterious. Lou a rightous cop.Both were of hispanic nationality, so that evens out.Castillo did things by the book, and would be willing to let a bad guy go if he didn't have enough evidence in hopes to get him another way, and another day. I see Lou cutting corners from time to time like Crockett and Tubbs for the sake of putting someone away because he would feel it was the right thing to do for a good cause. I know things would have a different tone.Things did change when Castillo joined the team, but....other things changed, like less Elvis, and a more serious tone.Were the changes because of Castillo, or was it because the show didn't have very good ratings and they made some changes?

• Administrators

an even better show would have resulted. i prefered lou to castillo

For me there was not enough character development and time to get to really like Lou. If he had made it through all of season one, I think a lot of people would have a different opinion. Since he was killed off relatively quickly we don't know how the show would have turned out.
  • Like 1

For me there was not enough character development and time to get to really like Lou. If he had made it through all of season one' date=' I think a lot of people would have a different opinion. Since he was killed off relatively quickly we don't know how the show would have turned out.[/quote'] I wonder if Sierra ever regretted his decision to leave. The job was his; but he didn't even give it till mid-season. By then, the show was gaining in popularity and it was a worldwide smash by Season 2. MV could have done for his career what it did for EJO, who went on to Oscar nomination.

I wonder if Sierra ever regretted his decision to leave. The job was his; but he didn't even give it till mid-season. By then' date=' the show was gaining in popularity and it was a worldwide smash by Season 2. MV could have done for his career what it died for EJO, who went on to Oscar nomination.[/quote']Guess we'll never know. Both are experienced actors.

Things did change when Castillo joined the team' date=' but....other things changed, like less Elvis, and a more serious tone.Were the changes because of Castillo, or was it because the show didn't have very good ratings and they made some changes?[/quote'] I don't think the show had enough time to begin getting good ratings when Rodriguez departed (only 4 episodes?). But I think the addition of Castillo was one part why the show did earn its good ratings. I don't think Rodriguez was as enigmatic a character to warrant his own Golden Triangle or Bushido, for instance.The changes they made later to boost low ratings were things like Crockett getting married, or losing his memory. And Lou de Long, which hurt the boosted ratings. :)

I wonder if Sierra ever regretted his decision to leave. The job was his; but he didn't even give it till mid-season. By then' date=' the show was gaining in popularity and it was a worldwide smash by Season 2. MV could have done for his career what it did for EJO, who went on to Oscar nomination.[/quote'] Here's what Greggory Sierra has done since he left MIAMI VICE.I don't think he regretted it.Vic (2006) .... Charlie Blood Money (1999) (TV) ... aka "La Sangre de la Venganza" - USA (Spanish title)Jane Austen's Mafia! (1998) .... Bonifacio ... aka "Mafia!" - USA (short title)Vampire$ (1998) .... Father Giovanni ... aka "Vampires" - USA (original title) ... aka "John Carpenter's Vampires" - USA (complete title)The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit (1998) .... Villanazul "Ellen" .... General Colon (1 episode, 1996) ... aka "These Friends of Mine" - USA (first season title) - When the Vow Breaks: Part 1 (1996) TV episode .... General Colon"Common Law" (1996) TV series .... Luis Alvarez (unknown episodes) "Kirk" .... Dr. Navarro (1 episode, 1995) - Kirk Unplugged (1995) TV episode .... Dr. Navarro"Walker, Texas Ranger" .... Rafael Mendoza (1 episode, 1995) - Standoff (1995) TV episode .... Rafael Mendoza"Murder, She Wrote" .... Lieutenant Gabriel Caceras / ... (6 episodes, 1985-1995) - Film Flam (1995) TV episode .... Lieutenant Gabriel Caceras - A Nest of Vipers (1994) TV episode .... Lieutenant Gabriel Caceras - The Petrified Florist (1993) TV episode .... Lieutenant Gabriel Caceras - Day of the Dead (1992) TV episode .... Ramon - Murder Through the Looking Glass (1988) TV episode .... Sanchez (1 more)A Low Down Dirty Shame (1994) .... Captain Nunez "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman" .... General Eli Parker / ... (2 episodes, 1994) - The Washington Affair: Part 1 (1994) TV episode .... General Parker - The Washington Affair: Part 2 (1994) TV episode .... General Eli Parker"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" .... Entek (1 episode, 1994) ... aka "DS9" - USA (promotional abbreviation)... aka "Deep Space Nine" - USA (short title)... aka "Star Trek: DS9" - USA (short title) - Second Skin (1994) TV episode .... Entek"704 Hauser" .... Manny (1 episode, 1994) - Ernie Live on Tape (1994) TV episode .... Manny"Nurses" .... Gina's Father / ... (2 episodes, 1993-1994) - Bury the Hatchets (1994) TV episode .... Vargas Cuevas - Bring Me, the Head of Hank Kaplan (1993) TV episode .... Gina's Father"The X-Files" .... Dr. Diamond (1 episode, 1993)... aka "The X Files" - USA (original title) ... aka "X-File" - Japan (English title) - The Jersey Devil (1993) TV episode .... Dr. Diamond"Thea" .... Mr. Guiterez (1 episode, 1993) - How I Got Over (1993) TV episode .... Mr. GuiterezHot Shots! Part Deux (1993) .... The Captain "The Golden Palace" .... Rubin (1 episode, 1992) - Ebbtide for the Defense (1992) TV episode .... Rubin"The Ray Bradbury Theater" .... Ricardo (1 episode, 1992) - Sun and Shadow (1992) TV episode .... Ricardo"The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" .... Hector (1 episode, 1992) - Will Gets Committed (1992) TV episode .... HectorHoney I Blew Up the Kid (1992) .... Terence Wheeler Deep Cover (1992) .... Barbosa "P.S.I. Luv U" .... Lt. Orly (1 episode, 1991) - Pilot (1991) TV episode .... Lt. OrlyP.S.I. Luv U (1991) (TV) .... Lt. Orly "FBI: The Untold Stories" .... Jimmy Chagra (1 episode, 1991) - Judge Wood Case (1991) TV episode .... Jimmy ChagraDonor (1990) (TV) .... Hector Aliosa "City" .... Rigoberto (1 episode, 1990) - With a Song in Your Heart and a Knife in Your Back (1990) TV episode .... Rigoberto"Midnight Caller" .... Perry Fine (1 episode, 1990) - Protection (1990) TV episode .... Perry Fine"MacGyver" .... Captain Diaz / ... (3 episodes, 1985-1990) - The Treasure of Manco (1990) TV episode .... Captain Diaz - Jack of Lies (1986) TV episode .... Colonel Antunnez - The Gauntlet (1985) TV episode .... General Antonio VasquezUnspeakable Acts (1990) (TV) .... Frank Fuster Desperado: Badlands Justice (1989) (TV) .... Jesus Gutierrez "Growing Pains" .... Dr. Paul Ramirez (2 episodes, 1989) - The New Deal: Part 2 (1989) TV episode .... Dr. Paul Ramirez - The New Deal: Part 1 (1989) TV episode .... Dr. Paul Ramirez"Something Is Out There" .... Captain Victor Maldonado (3 episodes, 1988-1989) - A He**** of Another Color (1989) TV episode .... Captain Victor Maldonado - Good Psychics Are Hard to Come By (1988) TV episode .... Captain Victor Maldonado - The Keeper (1988) TV episode .... Captain Victor MaldonadoWhere the Hell's That Gold?!!? (1988) (TV) .... General "The Munsters Today" .... Don Steinburg (1 episode, 1988) ... aka "The New Munsters" - USA (alternative title) - Farewell Grandpa (1988) TV episode .... Don SteinburgSomething Is Out There (1988) (TV) .... Victor Maldonado The Trouble with Spies (1987) .... Capt. Sanchez "Hunter" .... Councilman Elandro (1 episode, 1987) - Flashpoint (1987) TV episode .... Councilman Elandro"Magnum, P.I." .... Miguel Torres (1 episode, 1987) - Pleasure Principle (1987) TV episode .... Miguel Torres"Falcon Crest" .... FBI-Agent Taylor (1 episode, 1987) - Desperation (1987) TV episode .... FBI-Agent TaylorHer Secret Life (1987) (TV) .... Vic 'The Dancer' Pena "Cagney & Lacey" .... Coach Kellino / ... (2 episodes, 1985-1987) - Ahead of the Game (1987) TV episode .... Coach Kellino - Violation (1985) TV episode .... Eddie 'Cleanhead' Stutz"You Again?" .... Joe (1 episode, 1986) - Good Neighbors (1986) TV episode .... JoeLet's Get Harry (1986) .... Alphonso "Blacke's Magic" .... Sheriff (1 episode, 1986) - Forced Landing (1986) TV episode .... Sheriff"Airwolf" .... Frank Ochoa (1 episode, 1986) ... aka "Lobo del aire" - USA (Spanish title) - Wildfire (1986) TV episode .... Frank Ochoa"Simon & Simon" .... Gregory Cable / ... (2 episodes, 1983-1985) - The Enchilada Express (1985) TV episode .... Raul Gutierrez - The Club Murder Vacation (1983) TV episode .... Gregory CableCommand 5 (1985) (TV) .... Delgado Stingray (1985) (TV) .... Anthony 'Tony' Mendosa "Cover Up" .... Zeidler (1 episode, 1985) - The Assassin (1985) TV episode .... Zeidler"Miami Vice" .... Lt. Lou Rodriguez

Castillo was quiet' date=' and knew how to handle business, while Rodriguez seemed like the skimmer, and the man who would use his men up until they died. [/quote']Can't agree about Lou "using people"... ?( I've just rewatched the beginning of the 1st season and didn't notice anything to come to such conclusion. Of course I may be not attentive enough or something... but remember how he died? He took a bullet for Crockett, for God's sake. I have to admit that I prefer Castillo, because of his "unusual" personality and stuff, just like many others here said, and mostly because he was an interesting contrast to Crockett. But I find Crockett's fights with Rodrigues very funny too. "Shut up, Crockett, and I'll explain!" :D Just one of my favourite lines... or how he promised to take Crockett to a safehouse handcuffed in the "Hit List". :thumbsup: Perhaps this "father and son" relationship could have worked out very well, if Sierra stayed. I think the show would be cool anyway, even with Rodrigues (don't know about the ratings, I can't decide for all American viewing public of mid-eighties... :D), though it definitely didn't lose anything but only gained with Castillo.

Guest myonlyvice

It's impossible for me to picture Vice without Castillo. He is absolutely unique and impossible not to notice, in spite of his taciturn nature. While Lou was only around for four episodes, I think you can still make a reasonable determination about the trajectory the show would have taken with him as the Lt. It would have been TOTALLY different and, in my opinion, significantly diminished when compared to what Castillo would contribute. In Castillo's first episode it was obvious who the guy was: the antithesis of Lou. What I remember about Vice when it first aired (I saw several episodes from the second-fourth seasons) was how intense it was. Castillo only amplified this effect. My heart literally pounded when I watched these episodes. Granted I was only ten years old but even for an adult Castillo leaves a lasting impression. Lou is easily forgettable and it has nothing to do with his short tenure on the show. As it was plain who Castillo was from his first episode, so it was for Lou. Vice would not be Vice if Lou were the Lt. Castillo was the most unique character on the show and in many respects the engine that drove the vibe of Vice.

I agree with myonlyvice. Castillo was a great character and he contributed so much to Vice and helped make it the great show that it is. Infact in the first few episodes of season one you get the feeling that something pivotal was missing, and it was Castillo. Everything fell into place when he arrived.Rodriguez wasn't a memorable character IMO. He was just an ordinary generic conventional formuliac lieutenant. Castillo was far more unique and atypical to other cop shows.

Or to put it another way' date=' what if Gregory Sierra decided to stay on the show, and they didn't kill off his character? How would the show have been different with him in all the episodes we know and love?With Castillo, we were introduced to the most unique character in a cop show to that point -- a brooding, taciturn, yet fearless commanding officer with an almost Buddhist personality towards viewing right vs. wrong.Rodriguez was akin more to the typical police lieutenant of so many other shows. He was loud and brash like Crockett and I don't know if the contrast we ended up seeing between Crockett and Castillo would have ever happened.[/quote'] What if Crockett and Rico didnt throw their badges on the floor ?

What if Crockett and Rico didnt throw their badges on the floor ?

Then we'd have had 5 more years of Vice and I'd have no complaints. :) Hell, the show might still be on the air today, for an unprecedented 26 seasons! :thumbsup:

Miami Vice wouldn't of been as good with Gregory. Edward's Castilo was unique. Remember Edward won an Emmy for season 1 and he wasn't even in the entire first season. He was also nominated for Emmys and a Golden Globe award for Seasons 2 and 5.