Mark Harmon as Sonny Crockett

Spyder

Following up on my "What if Gregory Sierra stayed on the show as Lou Rodriguez" thread, how do you think MV would have changed if Mark Harmon was Sonny Crockett?We all know that Don Johnson wanted out of his contract by the end of Season 2, and Harmon was the first choice to play the character.On top of the stylistic change to series (no more pastels, no more Daytona Spyder, darker storylines), I can't think of another example of a show recasting its main star, especially when the series was at its most popular. How would the chemistry be with PMT? Would Harmon have brought the brash, Southern, cool nature to Crockett like DJ? Would the show have lasted five years? Shows very often jump the shark when a character is recast with a new actor/actress. The best way to get around it is to not bring back the character at all (Larry Zito) or introduce a new, superior character altogether (Castillo).What's odd is that in 1986, when MV was on top of the world, the sexiest man alive for People magazine wasn't DJ, but ...Eingefügtes Bild

In fact, it´s difficult to say what would have happened. I think that many DJ fans would have been disappointed and had stopped watching the series. Others would have been curious about how Mark Harmon played the role.But at least, it have depended on what kind of character the screen writers had given him and how he had played it.You´re right, many series have lost fans and popularity after changing a main actor /actrice. What luck that DJ decided against leaving MV!

Another sequel to the thread: What if Larry Wilcox would be chosen to be Sonny Crockett instead Don Johnson? Erik Estrada as Castillo? lol

Interesting idea - that one.I doubt DJ really wanted out of his contract by the end of Season 2 that would have been crazy MV was a top 10 show in 1986 by the end of Season 2 not far behind the "big gun shows" such as "Dallas " and "Dynasty". :D

• Administrators

I think that he was just rattling his saber to get more money. Can't say I blame him. I'd rattle my saber at work too for more money but they just let me walk! :)

• Administrators

DJ didn't show up for work at the beginning of season 3 filming because of contract negotiations and someone started the rumor about Mark Harmon taking his place. It turned out to be exactly that, a rumor, cause when Harmon was asked his reply was that he knew nothing about it.

• Administrators

I must've read the same article you did about it being a rumor. Or course, I most likely read it from the same place you did. :)

Don didn't show up to the filming, as he was holding out for more money (didn't I post this article on this site?? Perhaps it was the "other" site....but, anyway, he wanted more money, but absolutely wanted to stay until the magic number of episodes were filmed, so he could get residual checks when the show was syndicated. That means about five seasons of episodes to be in that catagory. )Mark Harmon was mentioned just to get him to sign faster if he thought he could be replaced. He didn't panic, and Don made a LOT more money!If I haven't posted the article from my Legendary Huge Miami Vice Scrapbook on here before, I'll find it and post it.

Don didn't show up to the filming' date=' as he was holding out for more money (didn't I post this article on this site?? Perhaps it was the "other" site....but, anyway, he wanted more money, but absolutely wanted to stay until the magic number of episodes were filmed, so he could get residual checks when the show was syndicated. That means about five seasons of episodes to be in that catagory. )Mark Harmon was mentioned just to get him to sign faster if he thought he could be replaced. He didn't panic, and Don made a LOT more money!If I haven't posted the article from my Legendary Huge Miami Vice Scrapbook on here before, I'll find it and post it.[/quote'] I'd definitely like to see that article! Even if it was just a rumor, I can't imagine anyone else playing Sonny Crockett than Don Johnson!

Even if it was just a rumor' date=' I can't imagine anyone else playing Sonny Crockett than Don Johnson![/quote'] I have to agree with this - it's hard for me too to imagine any actor playing Sonny but DJ... in fact I'm sure that his charm is one of the greatest reasons for my loving MV (of course together with style, music, stories, etc., but it surely had a great impact). I can't remember any of Mark Harmon's films on the spot, so I don't even know if I like him... ?( Maybe I would if he was playing Crockett from the beginning, who knows... ?( And I also agree that changing actors for one character doesn't look good, it's better to get rid of the character altogether is possible.

I can´t imagine that Rico or Sonny got killed in the show and were replaced by someone else. I think it would´ve been the same if another actor had taken Larry´s place.Could someone imagine that Switek got a new partner? I can´t!

Well, I can, actually... of course it's impossible to replace their unique couple (Larry and Stanley, I mean)... but maybe they could just have some different chemistry. As for Crockett and Tubbs - yes, it's surely hard to imagine MV without any of them, because the whole show was centered around them for the most part. (I imagine what the viewing public must have felt when they saw a boat blown with Crockett on it in "Mirror Image" for the very first time. :eek:)

• 8 years later...

Wilcox would've been better than Harmon.  A snippet of his audition is on YouTube.  Harmon has the same problem as Dave Caruso-they are untough guys who look like they're trying to act tough.  And they both mistake being deadpan and stoic for intensity.  You couldn't have Harmon lead MV without a major overhaul to the show's dynamic and that just wouldn't have worked.

what if i was born woman, instead of man.. no offense to anyone, just joking, but seriously i think it's impossible to answer that question (again no offense)

I don't think it's totally impossible if you look at what Harmon has done before and since.  He would either go the wisecrack smiling route or deadpan serious (we already got EJO for that).  He just doesn't bring the total package like DJ.  

what i was trying to say, it's that nowadays MV isn't just a TV show. it's a whole galaxy that is orbiting around it. MV nowadays, it's the community, the video games, the books, the fashion.. if you change such as a major ingredient as DJ, you have to rewrite the whole thing. actually it can be done, if you have 100 years to spare

I thought Harmon was going to play a new character all together but he was going to play Crockett?:sick: Thank god that didn't happen.

That would be like getting an Australian model to replace Sean Connery as Bond..oh wait..

• 3 weeks later...
Am 28.9.2018 um 21:31 schrieb Vincent Hanna:

That would be like getting an Australian model to replace Sean Connery as Bond..oh wait..

Which actually worked. Lazenby played a Bond truer to the novels than Connery ever did. He actually would have stayed on if he hadn't gotten megalomaniac, wanting more money and all. Which brings me back to DJ. Never heard of this before let alone this Harmon guy. But it's kinda fun to think about what other actors of the 80s could have played Crockett & Tubbs and actually pull it off? Hmm....

• Like 1