season five's "gritty realism"?

Guest myonlyvice

Guest myonlyvice

What makes S5 so remarkably "gritty" and "real" compared to the rest of the show? I've never understood how these two adjectives came to be essential when describing S5. What do they even really mean in this context? I suspect that somebody a long while back happened to use these words and for some reason they caught on and now everyone uses them. Maybe we just like the way they sound. If you randomly ask a fan of Vice to describe S5 odds are they will mention its "gritty realism" but do they really even know why they're saying it? "Gritty" is too abstract to have any true meaning in describing a TV show and, while Vice may be many things, one thing it has never been is "real" or "realistic". The show takes so many liberties regarding logic and true life that it would be impossible to name them all. Season 5 is really all about burn-out and fatigue and disillusionment. These are much more appropriate for capturing the feel of the season.

What makes S5 so remarkably "gritty" and "real" compared to the rest of the show? I've never understood how these two adjectives came to be essential when describing S5. What do they even really mean in this context? I suspect that somebody a long while back happened to use these words and for some reason they caught on and now every one uses them. Maybe we just like the way they sound. If you randomly ask a fan of Vice to describe S5 odds are they will mention its "gritty realism" but do they really even know why they're saying it? "Gritty" is too abstract to have any true meaning in describing a TV show and' date=' while Vice may be many things, one thing it has never been is "real" or "realistic". The show takes so many liberties regarding logic and true life that it would be impossible to name them all. Season 5 is really all about burn-out and fatigue and disillusionment. These are much more appropriate for capturing the feel of the season.[/quote'] It's a term used for just about every cop show and movie. I think gritty realism better describes Season 1, when characters like Calderon emitted a truly Scarface type of threat to the Vice team. In Season 5, too many of the baddies looked and acted comically. And that's not gritty or realistic at all.But yes, disillusioned is how I would describe the last season as well, especially in contrast to the early years, when Sonny and Rico were full of idealism that they could conquer the drug world.

In Season 5' date=' too many of the baddies looked and acted comically.[/quote'] I agree with that. For example Octavio Escandero (Jack of All Trades), he was a big weirdo. :D

I agree with that. For example Octavio Escandero (Jack of All Trades)' date=' he was a big weirdo. :D[/quote'] Or the one from Miami Squeeze, the British fop with the little dog and affected voice. He looked more like he should be smuggling Earl Grey tea than kilos of cocaine. :)

Or the one from Miami Squeeze' date=' the British fop with the little dog and affected voice. He looked more like he should be smuggling Earl Grey tea than kilos of cocaine. :)[/quote'] ..I think the dogs name was Edwida..He was obsessed with that dog....lol....