Forgive Us Our Debts

miamijimf

• 10 months later...

Anybody have a spare $5 million rattling around in your pockets?  You can buy the building where Attorney General Waldman's office was located:

One real estate broker goes so far as to advertise the Miami Vice connection and show a screen capture of Crockett & Tubbs at the building:

https://www.dixoncommercialre.com/crockett-and-tubbs-visit-the-2424-building/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, airtommy said:

Anybody have a spare $5 million rattling around in your pockets?  You can buy the building where Attorney General Waldman's office was located:

One real estate broker goes so far as to advertise the Miami Vice connection and show a screen capture of Crockett & Tubbs at the building:

It’s been on the market since 2016? I noticed it was empty recently and tatty buildings behind it.

I liked the comments in the article - they had wires everywhere when they filmed there and the building staff had a few days off when they filmed there. This building always looked like such a Miami Vice building.

18 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

It’s been on the market since 2016? I noticed it was empty recently and tatty buildings behind it.

I liked the comments in the article - they had wires everywhere when they filmed there and the building staff had a few days off when they filmed there. This building always looked like such a Miami Vice building.

The architect who designed it had his office there for years.  He was there during the Vice filming and gave CGlidea full tour.  I'm jealous!  :(

8 hours ago, airtommy said:

right next to the highway, this is why it's so cheap. seems it's gone for 3.3M. with the highway you can't even build a condo there. i wonder who bought it, and for what

https://www.dixoncommercialre.com/2424-sold/

Edited by jpm1

• 5 weeks later...

As seen in Location Trivia, I finally found the house in the opening teaser.   In hindsight, the house was quite easy to find.  Once I studied it closely, I realized that the heavy tree cover and unpaved driveway meant it had to be in Coconut Grove.  And the road was a double curve, an ess-curve.  That's very rare in Miami.  Looking at a map, I could see a neighborhood in southern Coconut Grove between 37th Ave and 42nd Ave which had a bunch of curvy roads.  I drove around there for less than 30 minutes and found it.

The address is 3842 Leafy Way.  Unfortunately, Google Street View cameras have not covered this street.  There is an intimidating sign at the entrance of Leafy Way which says "Private Road Authorized Vehicles Only".  And the property itself has a scary sign warning against trespassers by order of the police.  My photos are terrible because I was too nervous to stick around.

Forgive2.png.22b6c4bfc60d9b62835cebdd31ea7332.png

P1010159.thumb.JPG.8141d049694bb3d020c3a62fd1097298.JPG

P1010158.thumb.JPG.9df1c36a8fd4a5147b61add8663b38fd.JPG

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2

This is my failed attempt to capture the S-curve we see at the start.  I think the wall on the right is new and makes the original shot impossible, but I'm not sure.   Crockett drives over a speed bump in his Porsche.  I was so nervous about getting out of there I forgot to check if it is still there.

Forgive1.png.64a07c1f9807d52c5cb7435c5522c9b0.png

P1010163.thumb.JPG.ef62d5269645d3a1908b076a890e211e.JPG

This stone wall is still there:

forgive11.png.c548ce3a66d0cbb10a58951b631262e1.png

P1010162.thumb.JPG.0b03098476ba09f530325fae16a9e494.JPG

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, airtommy said:

As seen in Location Trivia, I finally found the house in the opening teaser.   In hindsight, the house was quite easy to find.  Once I studied it closely, I realized that the heavy tree cover and unpaved driveway meant it had to be in Coconut Grove.  And the road was a double curve, an ess-curve.  That's very rare in Miami.  Looking at a map, I could see a neighborhood in southern Coconut Grove between 37th Ave and 42nd Ave which had a bunch of curvy roads.  I drove around there for less than 30 minutes and found it.

The address is 3842 Leafy Way.  Unfortunately, Google Street View cameras have not covered this street.  There is an intimidating sign at the entrance of Leafy Way which says "Private Road Authorized Vehicles Only".  And the property itself has a scary sign warning against trespassers by order of the police.  My photos are terrible because I was too nervous to stick around.

Forgive2.png.22b6c4bfc60d9b62835cebdd31ea7332.png

P1010159.thumb.JPG.8141d049694bb3d020c3a62fd1097298.JPG

P1010158.thumb.JPG.9df1c36a8fd4a5147b61add8663b38fd.JPG

Great work airtommy.  I thought it was the Grove.  My excuse for not finding it is now it's absence on Google Maps.  W appreciate you taking a chance for the photo.

Edited by miamijimf

2 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Great work airtommy.  I thought it was the Grove

The good guys won (on this location hunt) for once.  :dance2:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, airtommy said:

The good guys won (on this location hunt) for once.  :dance2:

My excuse for not finding it is now it's absence on Google Maps.    :D  We appreciate you taking a chance for the photo.

16 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Great work airtommy.  I thought it was the Grove.  My excuse for not finding it is now it's absence on Google Maps.  W appreciate you taking a chance for the photo.

Another weird complicating factor is that Google Maps incorrectly shows Leafy Way as a straight road.  Mapquest properly shows the road curving back and forth.

One of the interesting things about this teaser, repeated in the teaser of Deliver Us From Evil, is that Donna Rice has an uncredited walk-on appearance as the wife of Sonny's partner.  The affair she was having with married presidential candidate Gary Hart created a scandal that brought an end to Hart’s presidential campaign and political career.  The teaser was filmed five months before the scandal broke.  She was already well known for posing topless and I'll bet the Vice crew knew what was going on.

Edited by miamijimf

57 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

One of the interesting things about this teaser, repeated in the teaser of Deliver Us From Evil, is that Donna Rice has an uncredited walk-on appearance as the wife of Sonny's partner.  The affair she was having with married presidential candidate Gary Hart created a scandal that brought an end to Hart’s presidential campaign and political career.  The teaser was filmed five months before the scandal broke.  She was already well known for posing topless and I'll bet the Vice crew knew what was going on.

Funny I always imagined her to be the woman on Sonny’s boat during the opening credits not Frankel’s wife. 

The Gary Hart/ Donna Rice scandal and cover up reportably inspired the ‘ripped from the headlines’ fourth season “Vote of Confidence” episode filmed in the first few weeks of January 1988.

Edited by Matt5

Matt, no but there is a connection.  It's got to be more than a coincidence that there was a blond named Donna as a guest on Sonny’s boat in ‘Forgive Us Our Debts.’  Even though this episode was filmed before the National Enquirer article came out exposing the affair there were plenty of rumors about the affair.   The yacht Monkey Business was frequently moored at Turnberry Isle, where Vice filmed several times.  Gary Hart  was photographed with Donna Rice sitting on his lap while he was wearing a "Monkey Business" shirt if my memory serves me right.  I'm no facial recognition expert but the girls look different here and if you Google Donna Rice.

Donna Rice in the teaser of Forgive us our Debts etc:

CapturerealDonna.JPG.e7f32d25042f36612043698813eb4b78.JPG

The prettier IMO Donna on Sonny's boat:

Capture6.JPG.8174256bbbb5042fe681ee5de46a710d.JPG

Never heard of the scandal inspiring Vote of Confidence but it makes sense.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

Amazing work airtommy.  There can't be too many significant (I realize they are all important) Vice sites left unfound.  Except for drive-by locations, of course.  All the more reason to focus on finding Burn Notice sites.  This show was heavily influenced by Vice and there would be no Burn Notice without Vice leading the way.

Edited by miamijimf

There are two drive scenes in this episode on the Julia Tuttle Causeway heading from the mainland to the beach and we see this building at NE69th Street just north of Morningside and Legion Park from the mainland area of the causeway. Jeremy had highlighted the causeway but I looked at the scene and could identify the exact building we see north of Crockett.

CDC85AB0-65FF-4124-AA8D-42A159C55782.jpeg

97666897-1E20-4207-BB44-B022673CE520.jpeg

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

I visited the spot where the governor is having an outdoor luncheon and C&T arrive by boat to get him to stop the execution:

forgive25.jpg.abe4c858df54e12d87f812b7f906f171.jpg

This is in a luxury condo complex with a guardhouse, but as it turns out I was able to stroll right in.  I parked at nearby Veterans Park:

P1010554.thumb.JPG.53ae6e92ed597f9345f750d5a758f362.JPG

and I followed this path.  Instead of going right by the guardhouse on NE 183rd St, I cut over to the marina parking lot.  Red X is the guardhouse.

govpicnic.thumb.png.f5cd068bfaabec110c95dc4a3c6ce772.png

I walked right by this sign, unfazed.  :)

P1010558.thumb.JPG.bb8bca69ddfbe13bbb379aedeed6a788.JPG

And finally I reached the location.

P1010557.thumb.JPG.a801afc2e668ff681a28395749217c5b.JPG

This is where the dock used to be.  Those islands were completely undeveloped in 1986.

P1010556.thumb.JPG.eb55c5272b3997176480150395c5a256.JPG

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

The final scene where Hackman is released from jail and taunts Crockett:

forgiveend1.png.4c4e7c756440ce3b6c3dfdad8bff6a6e.png forgiveend2.png.38d0bb21afb0537f5d9d2761e3db7327.png

This was filmed at the South Florida Evaluation and Treatment Center at 2200 NW 7th Ave.  I visited and it looked like it was getting ready to be demolished.  There was a really dumb security guard who didn't want me to take pictures, and he spoke no English so I couldn't talk to him.  The good news is that they are not demolishing it, just doing a renovation.  It will become the Miami Center for Mental Health and Recovery.

https://www.naco.org/articles/miami-dade-county-builds-center-mental-health-and-recovery

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Last Cold Case of this episode: the Cuban diner

Clues: there is a two-way street outside with running traffic. First I thought we see a T-shaped intersection through the window behind C&T, but it´s not. The diner is likely not at a corner (what seemed like a windows at an 90 degree angle left of Tubbs is most likely an interior piece of the cafe). The most decisive clue is the opposite building seen through the entrance door which is quite massive and distinctive, it looks looks like a public building and has a parking lot (diagonal parking?) in front.

I scanned with this building as a benchmark all locations of this episode, the studio and a few blocks around them but no fit. When we find this building, we find the diner. 

I doubt that they traveled long distance for this short scene with three main characters (Castillo is no other scenes other than OCB and Spanish monastery)

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-30 um 14.44.25.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-30 um 14.45.34 Kopie.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-30 um 16.07.24.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

On 4/2/2019 at 6:52 PM, airtommy said:

This is my failed attempt to capture the S-curve we see at the start.  I think the wall on the right is new and makes the original shot impossible, but I'm not sure.   Crockett drives over a speed bump in his Porsche.  I was so nervous about getting out of there I forgot to check if it is still there.

Forgive1.png.64a07c1f9807d52c5cb7435c5522c9b0.png

P1010163.thumb.JPG.ef62d5269645d3a1908b076a890e211e.JPG

I was there again today as the first time I did not get good re-creation pictures so while I was passing by I stopped again and had much better success. Example 1. I was able to locate the original camera position and shoot the same shot from the same spot this time.

DSC01850.JPG

Edited by C Glide
  • Like 2