Don Johnson article in Dutch TV-Guide

2morgen

This article was in the Veronica TV-guide in august 1986. For me, if the article is accurate and a real interview, it explains a lot about Don's attitude in later years towards MV. He didn't wanted to be in it but when he had no choise he made the best off it.Translations follows in the next posts. I hope I did a proper translation.:hot:Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

translation first part:Don Johnson wants to be a Rock star.Life can be strange for the adored star. Don Johnson is applauded and especially well paid, but that's not everything in life. For now it seems that his dearest wish just will remain a wish and that the woman of his dreams broke up with him.The very populair DJ would like to quit mv and give up his acting career to be a full-time rocksinger. The producers of the hit-serie however have gotten him to act in a new season and the filming, although later as plannend, has started already.Don tells :â€If I could get out under my contract I would have done that for sure. I have always said: If I don’t have fun during the taping of MV I would quit. Well I don’t have a lot of fun so ………..â€It has been known for all time, that Don’s heart lays with the music, he never made a secret out of that, but nobody expected that he wants to quit acting totally if the his music careers worked out.Don: “music is my passion and my life. It touches people deeper. Much deeper than TV for example, that’s why I love it so much. When I was a young boy I always wanted to be the lead-singer of a rock band. It seemed and still does very exciting to me to perform in front of huge crowd. All those fans whom adore you and come especially for you …. Something more beautiful doesn’t exist for me. By the way, last year I performed with the group The Power Station, what a good experience that wass! The crowd was swinging ….. It was fantastic.. Something completely different than standing on the set under warm lights and peer into the camera.â€The makers of the serie, Universal Studios, have had a lot of trouble convincing Johnson he had to keep himself to the clauses of the contract, things got so out of hand a judge had to rule between the party’s at 10 juni j.l.Don was gone for three days and was nowhere to be found let alone on set. Universal didn’t take that and the producers demanded 20 million dollars compensations if the star didn’t turn up. The turning point for Don to obey to the rules and behave like a good boy and turn up on set was the fact that Universal had the opportunity to block Dons new record, which is released in America at this moment. Poor Don just the one thing he loves the most was almost going up in smoke, so the actor caved in to the demands.

translation second part:Solid TwackAs if the going to court wasn’t enough, the handsome actor received another blow in his private life. The mother of his son Jesse dumped him for the one Richard Tyson a young actor.Thru the years DJ broke the hart of Patty D’Arbanville, his most loved girlfriend, by having romances with other woman, while Patty always, often for nothing, waited patiently for dad to come home. But Patty drew the line. She set a fat line under the relationship and is now living with the Tyson, whom so different then Don and does come home when diner is ready. The star finds it hard to handle. It is after all not nothing if your favourite toy is taken away. Not long ago Patty had warned him to leave him if he didn’t start acting like a normal “husband”. Don promised to do better but the partying didn’t stop, the actor did a little bit more and was seen frequently with scarcest clothed young ladies in the most expensive clubs and restaurants. That fact of course couldn’t get by Patty D’Arbanville, she could enjoy it on a daily basis in the articles. And the one thing Don never had expected Patty quit.The actor threw himself out of misery on his job and the American sensation press is throwing themselves on Don. They just can get over talking about the heart of the heartbreaker is broken. It’s all not good for his ego.Don: “Miami Vice is one off the top ten most watched series in the US and that should stay that way. The best thing I can do at the moment is to do my best for 200% to keep the level of the show high. My music is going the right way en I hope my record is going to be a success. In my personal life of course everything isn’t okay, but that is my own fault. I blew it, I lost Patti for ever. But I have the firm impression that my way of life is going to do me harm. As for the rest to me it is very important she will be happy, I really hope that for her. Our child Jesse will always be our child together.

Very interesting, thank you very much, 2morgen! :)It's rather hard for me to decide whether I should believe it or not... ?( I've read (or heard) Don saying in other interviews that he surely didn't want to quit acting for a singing career, just used the opportunity to do both. Of course he might just put up a good front... But I've also read that in his younger days (before Miami Vice) he sang in some bands, etc., on occasion, and was even close to trying to make a record, but no matter how deeply he liked music and singing - once he was given a movie part, he would quit music immediately, because acting was his priority. ?(

Very interesting' date=' thank you very much, 2morgen! :)It's rather hard for me to decide whether I should believe it or not... ?( I've read (or heard) Don saying in other interviews that he surely didn't want to quit acting for a singing career, just used the opportunity to do both. Of course he might just put up a good front... But I've also read that in his younger days (before Miami Vice) he sang in some bands, etc., on occasion, and was even close to trying to make a record, but no matter how deeply he liked music and singing - once he was given a movie part, he would quit music immediately, because acting was his priority. ?([/quote'] That's why I wrote "if the article is accurate" because I have once red the same thing you are saying. Maybe it was just the stage of his life he was in, which kind of thing he prefered acting or singing. Or maybe he just wanted to have to good things of both things I don't know.

Some of the stuff I read was accurate, like threatened to be sued by Universal. He may have in fact said those things, because some people contradict themselves fairly often, (Like George Lucas over the years) or during a certain stage in their lives when they have a certain interest.GREAT ARTICLE! :clap:THANKS FOR THE TRANSLATION!! :thumbsup:

There's one thing that looks weird to me - if DJ wanted to be a rock-singer so badly, that he even wanted to quit acting for that, why didn't he try to do it after Vice? Considering that his career between Vice and Nash wasn't too successful (unfortunately, but it's a fact), he must have had plenty of time for devoting himself to music, but instead he just drank and stuff (supposedly being depressed about lack of ACTING jobs!). ?( And never tried to record anything besides those two albums, at least to my knowledge. Of course he just might have change his mind again, lose interest, etc., he even described himself as a person who loses interest quickly... but at the same time he never lost interest for his profession, so there must be something constant even for him. But of course we'll never know the truth... I'm just talking too much as usual. :D

Yes indeed! I feel that I didn't thank our translator properly, so - thank you very much again, 2morgen. :) I know that translating into a foreign language isn't an easy job.

But I think that 2morgen agrees when I claim that it makes fun to do this job for such a great community.

Your right! :thumbsup:I don't mind doing it because people appriciate it overhere!

Thanks for the translation. Good thing DJ didn't quit his day job for singing. :o

I agree... though I wish he paid more attention to his singing too, 2 albums are not enough for me. :o