Episode #34 "Definitely Miami"

Ferrariman

6 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I love noir, and some think noir can only be black & white...but I disagree with that. Noir is about the plot & how it’s carried out or portrayed on screen. Some noir can actually use color to their advantage...that despite the color, there’s a definite dark feeling of foreboding, or something’s not quite right. The movie Niagara is one superb example of this...and I agree that this episode, “Definitely Miami”, is too. Very noir! Despite the beautiful colors & brightness...there’s some very “dark” & tragic elements lurking in the proverbial shadows.

The term "sunshine Noir" has been used by critics to describe MV. That's the only reason I used the term. Noir is more a state of mind and plot, as you point out.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

“Evan” to me is more ‘drama’, than psychological. “LMD”, “Death & the Lady”, “OWTBDR”, “Shadow in the Dark”, etc...are more psychological, and deal with the dark, if not bizarre, psyche. 

Agreed. There are psychological elements to it (mainly in the whole redemption theme and how Sonny and Evan have different reactions to the same event), but plot-wise it's very much straightforward drama. The other episodes you mentioned deal much more with elements of the human psyche, manipulation of that psyche, and the audience's perception of what's shown on the screen. DM has some psychological elements, but in the end it's almost traditional Noir. I also think it's the distilled essence of what Miami Vice was.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

But it has classic Noir roots (the femme fatale). Noir was also quite psychological, as shown by the two Noir arcs contained in this episode. But DM is a Noir episode through and through, as well as being (in my view) THE classic MV episode (sunshine Noir). And I don't think you can say LMD's psychological aspects are only on the surface.

I was wrong to say that about LMD, that has great psychological depth to it.

I think you are right DM is more Noir but it has that psychological thriller feel to it as well.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

OWTBDR is better in that sense as well :)

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

One of my top 5 of Season 2, "Definitely Miami" meshes two storylines (Clemente/Maria & Callie/Basset), both of them engaging.  You know, if Arielle Dombasle could just get into good shape, she'd be fine.  Seriously, she's like the eighth wonder of the world here.  Dombasle had been in several European films before this; she also is excellent (and also wears abbreviated swimwear) in Eric Rohmer's Pauline at the Beach. Sonny, like other noir chumps, gets sucked under Callie's spell - although to his credit he keeps his guard somewhat up. 

Villain Ted Nugent has plenty of charisma as Charlie Basset.  It's also awesome to see Albert Hall as the too confident Task Force operative; just for Apocalypse Now alone he's a legendary actor in my book. 

So I've been driven to hair-pulling exasperation by the titles of Jan Hammer's music cues.  A sinuous piece of score entitled "Maria's Dance" appears here.  We have a Maria, yes, but she ain't dancing.  Where this cue first was heard was in Season 1's "The Maze" in which the character of Gabriella is swaying and dancing.  One of these days someone will figure out, get in order and retitle Hammer's original cues. 

The climax of the Clemente/Maria storyline is powerful as everything spirals out of control.  Melodramatic?  Sure.  Gut-wrenching and memorable?  Absolutely.  

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2021 at 2:47 PM, Jack Gretsky said:

One of my top 5 of Season 2, "Definitely Miami" meshes two storylines (Clemente/Maria & Callie/Basset), both of them engaging.  You know, if Arielle Dombasle could just get into good shape, she'd be fine.  Seriously, she's like the eighth wonder of the world here.  Dombasle had been in several European films before this; she also is excellent (and also wears abbreviated swimwear) in Eric Rohmer's Pauline at the Beach. Sonny, like other noir chumps, gets sucked under Callie's spell - although to his credit he keeps his guard somewhat up. 

Villain Ted Nugent has plenty of charisma as Charlie Basset.  It's also awesome to see Albert Hall as the too confident Task Force operative; just for Apocalypse Now alone he's a legendary actor in my book. 

So I've been driven to hair-pulling exasperation by the titles of Jan Hammer's music cues.  A sinuous piece of score entitled "Maria's Dance" appears here.  We have a Maria, yes, but she ain't dancing.  Where this cue first was heard was in Season 1's "The Maze" in which the character of Gabriella is swaying and dancing.  One of these days someone will figure out, get in order and retitle Hammer's original cues. 

The climax of the Clemente/Maria storyline is powerful as everything spirals out of control.  Melodramatic?  Sure.  Gut-wrenching and memorable?  Absolutely.  

I love this episode due to the content & the dual storylines, plus the heat being its own character. I don't really want to have a Top Ten of Vice in fear of leaving an awesome episode out, but if I did, I'd do it drinking a Dos Equis...just kidding, it would most likely be in my Top Five.

On Sunday, I thought of this episode due to the moment I had at work: I was walking out of the kitchen and down the hallway on the 2nd floor of the Sawgrass Marriott, and just as I passed the hallway to the right that has the employee time clock, someone shouted "Hey!" to me (I thought they said "Lee!", which is my nickname, though no one usually shouts it). I thought it was my supervisor, but as the woman walked closer I saw that it was Colleen the server (I like Colleen actually; she's all business and no nonsense, and she looks at me as if she finds me interesting. I too find her interesting). See, most everyone wears black at the Marriott (the place is clearly into goth), and my eyes literally played a trick on me, totally reminding me of when Callie was picturing Charlie and then Crockett. I know this all probably sounds weird, but that's just that Vice grip again (for the record, I think Colleen has a little of that former Mrs. Thurmond magic, which is why I wrote the poem "Crush Course":happy:).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This episode just keeps popping up in nearly any discussion about MV.  It's so at-the-forefront with fan discussions, that there are lots of collectors who actually HATE that episode--think it's one of the more stupid ones to be on the series---and there are lots who just love the damn thing so much for its murderous quirkiness.  We all know that there ARE human beings in our world who DO what is depicted in this episode, for a living, just roam through new places, lover-may-care attitude, riding on a soft mystic high inside themselves, while they bait, victimize, and then kill and bury people they select after casual researching them, or sometimes just on the whim of opportunity.  They do it so casually and breezily that it takes years for authorities to realize and track them (back-track all the victims they accumulated).  
Did someone post somewhere that the writer was inspired by an actual police case with this episode?  I can't remember.

I like it.  She has to just make you laugh in spite of the shock of it!  "Krockets... Don't hate me Krockets...  I'm going to seduce this uniform-officer to drive me to Alabama state line instead of taking me to jail."
When I could still afford tripping and vacationing, I dreamed about walking on the beach, wearing loafers in the sand, with white loose pants cut above the ankles, a girl walking beside me pulling on my shoulder.  Crockett in that last scene was my inspiration.

No, not on my top favorite episodes.  But definitely worthy of Miami Vice.  Definitely.  

Edited by Augusta
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Augusta said:

This episode just keeps popping up in nearly any discussion about MV.  It's so at-the-forefront with fan discussions, that there are lots of collectors who actually HATE that episode--think it's one of the more stupid ones to be on the series---and there are lots who just love the damn thing so much for its murderous quirkiness.  We all know that there ARE human beings in our world who DO what is depicted in this episode, for a living, just roam through new places, lover-may-care attitude, riding on a soft mystic high inside themselves, while they bait, victimize, and then kill and bury people they select after casual researching them, or sometimes just on the whim of opportunity.  They do it so casually and breezily that it takes years for authorities to realize and track them (back-track all the victims they accumulated).  
Did someone post somewhere that the writer was inspired by an actual police case with this episode?  I can't remember.

I like it.  She has to just make you laugh in spite of the shock of it!  "Krockets... Don't hate me Krockets...  I'm going to seduce this uniform-officer to drive me to Alabama state line instead of taking me to jail."
When I could still afford tripping and vacationing, I dreamed about walking on the beach, wearing loafers in the sand, with white loose pants cut above the ankles, a girl walking beside me pulling on my shoulder.  Crockett in that last scene was my inspiration.

No, not on my top favorite episodes.  But definitely worthy of Miami Vice.  Definitely.  

There are multiple reasons this episode is considered by many to be one of the best & quintessential MV episodes. It’s very noir...MV style, the colors, plot, performances, action, fashion, locations, etc... Those kinds of episodes will always be fan favorites and always discussed at  length.  

No, it’s not based on a true case or story. The only episodes, that I know of, that are based on actual true cases (and I’ll venture enough to say probably “loosely” based) are “Out Where the Buses Don’t Run” & “Shadow in the Dark”.

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

On 4/5/2021 at 9:57 AM, wolfie1996 said:

Either that or a sand dinosaur.....

I think Callie might be a big "Star Wars" fan and is attempting to recreate the scene when Luke is running around his sandy home planet. She's so focused on this task, her vision gets blurred and that makes her unable to tell the difference between Crockett & Charlie.

Definitely (Miami) though, her little sand-building indicates her involvement in the scam, and knows how Charlie disposes of the victims and their vehicles. She seems to feel romantic about the whole endeavor, at least that's my impression.

Also for me, I think the climax is Larry Zito's finest hour: not only does he supply Crockett with the reinforced steel suitcase, but he provides the cover fire necessary for Crockett to take his shots on Charlie. Bravo Zito!

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I think Callie might be a big "Star Wars" fan and is attempting to recreate the scene when Luke is running around his sandy home planet. She's so focused on this task, her vision gets blurred and that makes her unable to tell the difference between Crockett & Charlie.

Definitely (Miami) though, her little sand-building indicates her involvement in the scam, and knows how Charlie disposes of the victims and their vehicles. She seems to feel romantic about the whole endeavor, at least that's my impression.

Also for me, I think the climax is Larry Zito's finest hour: not only does he supply Crockett with the reinforced steel suitcase, but he provides the cover fire necessary for Crockett to take his shots on Charlie. Bravo Zito!

Not only was Callie “involved” in the bizarre, twisted sex-murder scheme...I think she was really the one more in charge (or control) behind the scenes. I think most of it was her idea...she chose the ‘marks’, she seemed to plan everything out, and she seemed to manipulate (or instruct) Charlie as well on how to carry out her sick fantasies. Callie was “definitely” (pun intended) a Miami femme-fatale...figuratively & literally!! 

I love it that Zito got to be Crockett’s cover & ultimately help in taking Charlie out..they’re rare, but the few times Zito or Switek get to “shine” are always cool! :thumbsup: 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

Not only was Callie “involved” in the bizarre, twisted sex-murder scheme...I think she was really the one more in charge (or control) behind the scenes. I think most of it was her idea...she chose the ‘marks’, she seemed to plan everything out, and she seemed to manipulate (or instruct) Charlie as well on how to carry out her sick fantasies. Callie was “definitely” (pun intended) a Miami femme-fatale...figuratively & literally!! 

I love it that Zito got to be Crockett’s cover & ultimately help in taking Charlie out..they’re rare, but the few times Zito or Switek get to “shine” are always cool! :thumbsup: 

I agree, Callie was the one pulling the strings; all the men (Charlie included) were just a means to an end. Definitely a femme-fatale (well, at least she liked Crockett's face, and I still think dripping & draining a shirt in cold water in hot weather is a good idea, so I do like that about her. It goes to show that one can learn from even the most ill-intentioned of folks:)).

For sure, I love it when Switek & Zito allowed to demonstrate their capabilities (I really dig them catching the guys at the door of the warehouse by surprise in 'Little Prince').

Edited by Eillio Martin Imbasciati
misspelling
  • Like 2

Yeah, in spite of the numerous humorous times they DID appear in the episodes, the "bug" team of cops still ended up feeling like the most under-utilized characters in the series.  

Any time one of them could show some critical support skill by using no-nonsense force to shield a fellow officer, almost made the episode STAND STILL for a moment.  Remember Trudy's episode where she had to shoot a perp--that look on her face in that party tattoo paint?  That same camera pause (or a serious "thanks, back there" from the cop who got their support, or something!) should have been used with Stan and Winston (err- I mean Stan and Zito).  

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

There is some great lines in this, it is so well written.

"Be careful, you haven't seen everything"

"Maybe we just see what we want to see"

"The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes"

Just to name a few.

There is so much depth on a psychological level which makes it one of the true great MV episodes.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

There is some great lines in this, it is so well written.

"Be careful, you haven't seen everything"

"Maybe we just see what we want to see"

"The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes"

Just to name a few.

There is so much depth on a psychological level which makes it one of the true great MV episodes.

Good writing is at least as important as good acting, in fact more so! I love a well written episode and some of MV's are brilliant.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I like history and older/vintage/antique things/aspects. I know this has been brought up before...but one small, but interesting/favorite (to me) aspect for this episode (besides the standard superbness of it overall) is that in one scene where Crockett & Tubbs are walking on the beach and talking, you get a glimpse/shot of The Blue Waters Hotel in the background—previously used in The Maze, and will be used again in French Twist. Strange as it is, there’s something about that old hotel that fascinates me...and I wish it could have been saved/restored! 

5427D140-061A-4032-8A24-1AD7173A4F40.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm writing to discuss the scene where Crockett gets beat up by Charlie Basset in the hotel room.  It's pretty clear to me that if he wanted to, he could have won the fight, either in role as Burnett, or after announcing his true identify.  His character as somebody who can handle himself had been well established, most recently in the previous episode, "Phil the Shill," when he had to stage a fight with Tony River's bodyguard to distract him from Tubbs planting a bug in his car, yet in this scene, Crockett doesn't even fight back.  Yes, Bassett does pull a gun on Burnett at the end of the scene, but Burnett had plenty of time to react before that and did absolutely nothing. 

Crockett doesn't realize he's being played until he mentions it to Tubbs in the next scene, but I do think he had plans for Bassett, and this is my theory.  Crockett's super detective instincts kicked in much earlier in the episode and he thought that in addition to protecting Callie, he could bust Basset for something big, even though he didn't know what it would be for yet.  Had he arrested him for the assault, he would have missed the opportunity, and had he won the fight, Bassett wouldn't take a dominant role and later try and setup Burnett.

Am I on to something, or do some folks have alternate theories about why Crockett got has ass kicked?  

Edited by dragon48
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, dragon48 said:

I'm writing to discuss the scene where Crockett gets beat up by Charlie Basset in the hotel room.  It's pretty clear to me that if he wanted to, he could have won the fight, either in role as Burnett, or after announcing his true identify.  His character as somebody who can handle himself had been well established, most recently in the previous episode, "Phil the Shill," when he had to stage a fight with Tony River's bodyguard to distract him from Tubbs planting a bug in his car, yet in this scene, Crockett doesn't even fight back.  Yes, Bassett does pull a gun on Burnett at the end of the scene, but Burnett had plenty of time to react before that and did absolutely nothing. 

Crockett doesn't realize he's being played until he mentions it to Tubbs in the next scene, but I do think he had plans for Bassett, and this is my theory.  Crockett's super detective instincts kicked in much earlier in the episode and he thought that in addition to protecting Callie, he could bust Basset for something big, even though he didn't know what it would be for yet.  Had he arrested him for the assault, he would have missed the opportunity, and had he won the fight, Bassett wouldn't take a dominant role and later try and setup Burnett.

Am I on to something, or do some folks have alternate theories about why Crockett got has ass kicked?  

Very interesting theory...I’d not thought of or viewed it, in that sense before. :baby: I’d always thought that for just a short time Crockett had ignored his cop instincts & (to be blunt) was thinking with the wrong head. :p

But, maybe he actually decided to pursue a different tactic when he got jumped by Charlie & decided to let his butt get kicked...see where things would go, and where or what Charlie would lead him to? 

• Like 2

Or he may have simply been surprised by Charlie's attack because he was more focused on Callie. Crockett didn't always think things through, after all. And we all know his attention isn't what it should be when he's focused on the girl.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm posting here to discuss my review on the S2 episode "Definitely Miami."

To me, when introducing Miami Vice to new viewers, I would show this episode to the newcomers over the pilot "Brother's Keeper." I use "Definitely Miami" as a newcomer's first episode for multiple reasons: It's not over 1 hr. and 30 min. unlike the pilot (and this is important because I didn't want to overwhelm the new viewers with long stories), it's another good way to introduce the cast without any worries of continuing arcs, it uses music effectively, and it's an episodic story that doesn't deal with arcs such as the Burnett arc or the Caitlin arc. Because of these qualities, I showed this episode to my friend and my oldest sister. Here in this review, I will not only go over my thoughts, but also the thoughts of my friend (23-years old, same age as me) and sister (25-years old).

In the intro sequence, Ted Nugent's "Angry Young Man" was playing. My friend (who is the same age as me) commented that the usage of the song "is so 80s" due to the synthesizers and the aggressive way the guitar was played. However, my friend noted that it didn't make sense that Charlie was able to bury his dead victim and the victim's car with so much sand since it wasn't shown what was being used to do the deed. My friend and I believed that it was an error on the writer's part.

The episode then cuts to Crockett and Tubbs on the poolside of a nice hotel. Crockett then notices the bikini-wearing, blonde bombshell that is Callie, and the camera keeps focusing on the young woman as Crockett is staring at her in awe. Whilst this is happening, Gato Barbieri's sexy, jazzy cover of "Europa" plays. When I watched it with my friend, I was smiling at the blatant fanservice in display. Meanwhile, my friend was confused because he wasn't sure if those scenes were important to the plot. I promised to him that yes, despite the fanservice, those scenes were important because it leads to Callie's role in the story.

Starting in the middle of the episode, two storylines are introduced. For Tubbs and the rest of the OCB, a criminal named Sergio Clemente is willing to testify against various drug dealers, and his testimony is important because it could bring down drug running across the East Coast. However, Clemente is only willing to testify if he can see his sister Maria Rojas, and she's rightly terrified because her brother previously killed her husband. Unfortunately, a federal agent named Joe Dalva is forcing Rojas to see her brother, despite the woman being in witness protection. I thought that Dalva is a scumbag because he broke his promise in protecting Rojas, and she really is that horrified of meeting her brother. Now, because Dalva forced Rojas to do his bidding, she actually met Clemente, with the OCB and other officers surrounding the meet. But that reunion didn't last long because she stabbed him 2 times. Rojas then was crying and wailing because she felt she had no choice to kill him. Regardless, a sniper then kills Rojas. Based off of what was told about Clemente and Rojas' relation, I believe that the former hired the sniper just so he can find a way to kill her without directly doing the murder himself. But then again, it's just a theory, and it won't be answered at all by official sources. Now, back to the plot, the last thing that occurred was Castillo giving the shocked Dalva a long stare that says, "I'm disappointed of what you have done to Rojas and Clemente. Shame on you."

As for Crockett, he met Callie for a 2nd time, and he learns that she is being abused by her husband. Callie hopes that Crockett can protect her from Charlie, and he promises to do that. But here's the problem: Crockett believes that Callie is lying to him and setting him up. This was confirmed when he met her at her hotel room, and Charlie was hiding in the corner of the room and then kicking Crockett out. Crockett then meets in the area where Charlie buried his murder victims, and the former and Zito were able to kill him. Then, Crockett went back to the beach near the safehouse where Callie was, and he had her arrested by cops who arrived via helicopter. Crockett can only walk away in disappointment as Callie was being arrested. Also, in the final minutes of both storylines, Godley and Creme's "Cry" was being played. Fitting, because the song appropriately describes the bitterness and manipulation featured in both plots.

For my final thoughts, I want to type how much I love this episode. This is my favorite one due to it featuring plots of mistrust and bitterness, songs that fit the specific scenes, and characters that are well-written. My sister liked the episode due to the episode's pastel palette, the clothes, the cinematography, and the clever writing. However, she felt like the characters could've been more fleshed out had the episode been just 1 storyline. My friend also likes the episode, but he also felt that the episode should've been just 1 story. He was also confused as to how Crockett was able to figure out that Callie is setting him up without obvious clues. Despite the criticism, I'm glad that I showed the two my favorite MV episode of all time.

• Like 4

The beauty of a good episode of MV is that not everything is spelled out. The creators actually give the viewers some credit that we can piece together fuzzy areas of plot.

You are 100% right about Maria being killed by her brother. He probably arranged the meeting point so the cops would not have time to properly secure the area. Her being sniped from a distance made it all the more impossible a task to secure her. It was a shocking scene and still is to an extent.

It's worth remembering how Callie met Sonny. She must've figured he was a player from the chase at the pool. By the time Sonny gets b-slapped he knows for sure he's being played.

I didn't have any issue with the two stories running side by side. It does mean we lost some character development, sure. But given that, it is a testament to the creators that the show still packs a lot of emotional weight.

It is a great first episode for a newbie to watch. Has all the style, perfect music and a tight story.

Personally, I would always start at the beginning but I get it.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, fakespyder said:

The beauty of a good episode of MV is that not everything is spelled out. The creators actually give the viewers some credit that we can piece together fuzzy areas of plot.

That's exactly right!
I own some scripts from MV. If you compare them with the one shown in the episode, you'll see that it's those passages where a person explains the meaning, the conclusion of the episode that are missing. Otherwise, the scene is the same as in the script, but the explanation is missing. Or background information is not given, as with Rojas and Clemente. It is obvious that Clemente ordered the assassination of Rojas, but it is not explicitly stated.
I like that. As a viewer, you are more actively involved.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, FURRYBAIT said:

I'm posting here to discuss my review on the S2 episode "Definitely Miami."

To me, when introducing Miami Vice to new viewers, I would show this episode to the newcomers over the pilot "Brother's Keeper." I use "Definitely Miami" as a newcomer's first episode for multiple reasons: It's not over 1 hr. and 30 min. unlike the pilot (and this is important because I didn't want to overwhelm the new viewers with long stories), it's another good way to introduce the cast without any worries of continuing arcs, it uses music effectively, and it's an episodic story that doesn't deal with arcs such as the Burnett arc or the Caitlin arc. Because of these qualities, I showed this episode to my friend and my oldest sister. Here in this review, I will not only go over my thoughts, but also the thoughts of my friend (23-years old, same age as me) and sister (25-years old).

In the intro sequence, Ted Nugent's "Angry Young Man" was playing. My friend (who is the same age as me) commented that the usage of the song "is so 80s" due to the synthesizers and the aggressive way the guitar was played. However, my friend noted that it didn't make sense that Charlie was able to bury his dead victim and the victim's car with so much sand since it wasn't shown what was being used to do the deed. My friend and I believed that it was an error on the writer's part.

The episode then cuts to Crockett and Tubbs on the poolside of a nice hotel. Crockett then notices the bikini-wearing, blonde bombshell that is Callie, and the camera keeps focusing on the young woman as Crockett is staring at her in awe. Whilst this is happening, Gato Barbieri's sexy, jazzy cover of "Europa" plays. When I watched it with my friend, I was smiling at the blatant fanservice in display. Meanwhile, my friend was confused because he wasn't sure if those scenes were important to the plot. I promised to him that yes, despite the fanservice, those scenes were important because it leads to Callie's role in the story.

Starting in the middle of the episode, two storylines are introduced. For Tubbs and the rest of the OCB, a criminal named Sergio Clemente is willing to testify against various drug dealers, and his testimony is important because it could bring down drug running across the East Coast. However, Clemente is only willing to testify if he can see his sister Maria Rojas, and she's rightly terrified because her brother previously killed her husband. Unfortunately, a federal agent named Joe Dalva is forcing Rojas to see her brother, despite the woman being in witness protection. I thought that Dalva is a scumbag because he broke his promise in protecting Rojas, and she really is that horrified of meeting her brother. Now, because Dalva forced Rojas to do his bidding, she actually met Clemente, with the OCB and other officers surrounding the meet. But that reunion didn't last long because she stabbed him 2 times. Rojas then was crying and wailing because she felt she had no choice to kill him. Regardless, a sniper then kills Rojas. Based off of what was told about Clemente and Rojas' relation, I believe that the former hired the sniper just so he can find a way to kill her without directly doing the murder himself. But then again, it's just a theory, and it won't be answered at all by official sources. Now, back to the plot, the last thing that occurred was Castillo giving the shocked Dalva a long stare that says, "I'm disappointed of what you have done to Rojas and Clemente. Shame on you."

As for Crockett, he met Callie for a 2nd time, and he learns that she is being abused by her husband. Callie hopes that Crockett can protect her from Charlie, and he promises to do that. But here's the problem: Crockett believes that Callie is lying to him and setting him up. This was confirmed when he met her at her hotel room, and Charlie was hiding in the corner of the room and then kicking Crockett out. Crockett then meets in the area where Charlie buried his murder victims, and the former and Zito were able to kill him. Then, Crockett went back to the beach near the safehouse where Callie was, and he had her arrested by cops who arrived via helicopter. Crockett can only walk away in disappointment as Callie was being arrested. Also, in the final minutes of both storylines, Godley and Creme's "Cry" was being played. Fitting, because the song appropriately describes the bitterness and manipulation featured in both plots.

For my final thoughts, I want to type how much I love this episode. This is my favorite one due to it featuring plots of mistrust and bitterness, songs that fit the specific scenes, and characters that are well-written. My sister liked the episode due to the episode's pastel palette, the clothes, the cinematography, and the clever writing. However, she felt like the characters could've been more fleshed out had the episode been just 1 storyline. My friend also likes the episode, but he also felt that the episode should've been just 1 story. He was also confused as to how Crockett was able to figure out that Callie is setting him up without obvious clues. Despite the criticism, I'm glad that I showed the two my favorite MV episode of all time.

Excellent, detailed review.  I like these types of thoughtful posts.  But, damn, I almost gave myself a hematoma smacking my head at your friend's "It's so '80s" comment.  First of all, something that is "so '80s" to me is a great thing, second off - should we be hearing an autotuned 21st century track or '40s big band music?  lol.  And I don't even want to get into the issue of whether or not fanservice is "important" to the "plot."  (Especially as I like Miami Vice as a senses-stirring experience more than a series of well-made stories.)  

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jack Gretsky said:

damn, I almost gave myself a hematoma smacking my head at your friend's "It's so '80s" comment.  First of all, something that is "so '80s" to me is a great thing, second off - should we be hearing an autotuned 21st century track or '40s big band music?  lol.  And I don't even want to get into the issue of whether or not fanservice is "important" to the "plot."  (Especially as I like Miami Vice as a senses-stirring experience more than a series of well-made stories.)  

Amen! MV was created as an 80s, neo-noir “visual” experience, to stir the senses of what you’re seeing & hearing (colors, fashion, music, mood, etc...), not realistic, true-crime. ;) 

And, what cracks me up about the “it’s so 80s” comment is that a lot of things from the 80s are now back in style...younger kids just don’t always realize or know it. :)

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

@Jack GretskyOf course, there were plenty of times in the first few years where the amazing visuals were combined with well-made plots...and the result was television bliss!! :clap: :dance2:

Oh, certainly.  I like good stories too, lol!  But I love it whenever Vice breaks free of plot devices and gets cinematic and sensational. Bliss, as you say.  :)

• Like 4