Miami Vice und Starsky & Hutch

Roddy

Was MV für die 80er war, waren Starsky & Hutch für die 70er - eine Kult-Cop-Serie!Zwischen beiden Serien gibt es ja durchaus viele Parallelen und Berührungspunkte. Z.B. haben ja die beiden S&H Hauptdarsteller Paul Michael Glaser und David Soul bei einigen MV-Episoden Regie geführt.Wer mehr über die internen Connections beider Serien weiß, kann das hier gerne schreiben. 8)Und: Wie gefällt euch S & H eigentlich so im Vergleich zu MV?

• Administrators

ich habe mich mit s&h nie so intensiv beschäftigt wie mit miami vice. dafür ist mir die serie zu sehr "70er" - das vertrage ich nicht immer ;) ... kultig ist sie allemal, und ab und an sehe ich auch gerne eine episode. aber so süchtig wie miami vice hat mich die serie nicht gemacht. michael mann hat zu starsky&hutch einige drehbücher geschrieben (weiss aber nicht, welche). auch die parallelen im aufbau der geschichte sind groß. in der datenbank ist eine seminararbeit zur serie zu finden, da werden explizit immer wieder die parallelen zu miami vice aufgezeigt. 8)

von Miss Ell.a

dafür ist mir die serie zu sehr "70er" - das vertrage ich nicht immer

Das liegt daran ,das Du einfach zu jung bist Herzblatt! ;)

Ich habe die erste Staffel. Ich weiß nicht, ob ich mir die folgenden Staffeln auch kaufe. Ist nicht so mein Geschmack, da ich die 70er eigentlich so garnicht mag.Ich mag die Schlaghosen und die Blümchenhemden, sowie den Synthiesound, wie ihn z. B. Abba und auch andere wie die Bee Gees haben, nicht. Man kann den Sound ja auch gut bei "CHiPs" hören!

• Like 1

Original von Ell.ain der datenbank ist eine seminararbeit zur serie zu finden, da werden explizit immer wieder die parallelen zu miami vice aufgezeigt. 8)

Danke für den Hinweis! =)Werde ich nachher mal ausführlich lesen.Ich bin Jahrgang ´70 und habe daher zu den Sachen, die bei Teenies und Twens in den 70ern angesagt waren, eigentlich auch gar keinen Bezug. Aber in den letzten Jahren bin ich zu einem Fan der späten 70er geworden. Ich mag die Musik von damals (Disco!!!), die Mode (obwohl ich mich selbst nicht so anziehe, aber ich sehe es gerne auf dem Bildschirm) und Filme und TV-Serien von damals (Krieg der Sterne, Saturday Night Fever, S&H oder Drei Engel für Charlie, um nur einige wenige zu nennen). 8)

Na, für 'Star Wars' muss man aber kein Fan der Seventies sein, hehe... ;)Aber zu S&H hatte ich auch keinerlei Bezug. Könnte mir höchstens die Lackierung ihres Wagens für 'nen Chevy Camaro oder Nova vorstellen... :)

Original von Tom PepsIch habe die erste Staffel. Ich weiß nicht, ob ich mir die folgenden Staffeln auch kaufe. Ist nicht so mein Geschmack

Soweit mir bekannt, sind damals viele S&H-Folgen für´s deutsche TV (ZDF war´s glaube ich) entschärft worden, und zwar sowohl durch Schnitte bei Gewalt als auch durch eine Sprüche-Klopfer-Synchro á la Rainer Brandt.Wäre mal interessant zu wissen, ob die deutschen DVDs auch nur die gekürzten Folgen enthalten oder ob es (wie bei Kojak) die fehlenden Sachen im Original mit UT gibt (oder gar - oh Graus! - eine Neusynchro).

Der Pilot ist komplett ohne Syncro. Die Episoden, sind, wie es natürlich üblich ist, auch auf deutsch. Tja, wenn ich das wüßte mit den Schnitten....

Original von MaverickMeinen Infos nach sind die fehlenden Szenen in der Originalversion mit Untertiteln auf den DVDs enthalten.

So steht´s auch hier für Staffel 1:http://forum.cinefacts.de/showthread.php?t=112135&highlight=Starsky+HutchDasselbe gilt auch für die Staffeln 2, 3 und 4 (so die entsprechenden anderen Threads). Columbia scheint ja wirklich Serien komplett rauszubringen. Bravo!

• 15 years later...

Interessant ist, das Paul M. Glaser Regie geführt hat bei "Smugglers Blues" und "Prodigal Son", zwei von meinen absoluten Lieblingsfolgen. Es gibt also durchaus eine Verbindung zwischen MV und S/H 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I was a big fan of "Starsky & Hutch" back in the day. But with the exception of a handful of episodes, the show doesn't hold up the way "Vice" does. I remember the show becoming very silly around the 3rd season. They went undercover as everything from hairdressers to mimes and then for some reason the 2 stars got on their high horse and protested against violence on TV. This made the 4th (and final) season episodes very boring and almost unwatchable. 

The popularity of the show did produce 1 cool thing! 

starskyhutch13.jpg

Starsky and Hutch's Gran Torino proved to be so popular that ABC and the show's producers were always getting requests about it. Ford decided to pump out a few limited-edition models so that regular folk could drive around like their heroes. Ford was betting on the show's rating gold status and it certainly paid off. In 1976 the auto manufacturer built 1,100 of the TV show models. They sold out like finding bags of money on the street. The cars had a 351 Windsor V8 engine, and of course a top-of-the-line 8-track stereo player with AM / FM radio.

On 2/5/2006 at 6:18 AM, Tom Peps said:

I have the first season. I don't know if I'll buy the following seasons. It's not my taste, because I don't really like the 70s at all. I don't like the flared pants and the floral shirts, as well as the synth sound, as it has e.B. Abba and others like the Bee Gees. You can also hear the sound well on "CHiPs"!

Tom you made me smile! Thank You!

I was a Starsky-Hutch fan in my youth, (had Matchboxe's version of the red tomato, too!).  But I was not good at absorbing the technical side of storytelling when I was in the 70's---by the 80's I was a college student with an interest in cameras and an appreciation for how good mechanics tell a good story to an audience.  
In the 70's shows like Starsky-Hutch were created around a buddy-partners-on-the-job concept,... and that's all.  No other ambition for the series.  In the early 70's, American tv still had Gunsmoke and Barnaby Jones, and Switch, and Adam-12 (Dragnet).  They were shows built on the structure of "primary character and his sidekick", and they were quite successful.  I think Hollywood realized they could  to leave the "Hero+Sidekick" idea, and master an idea of "2-equal-Buddies".  Emergency was the best (I think most successful example at the time) of the Equal-Buddies tv show in the 70's, and a lot of shows tried and failed.  If the Buddies concept is all you're really basing the show on, the audience either likes those two buddies, ore the show will fail.  
Starsky and Hutch lasted as long as the audience LIKED the buddy-actors.  I liked half the episodes, but I THINK the episodes didn't matter nearly as much as keeping the buddy relationship lovable to the audience.  
I hear that somewhere in later seasons, the off-show gossip and vile suggestions started tainting the audience's perception of the actors.  Some of it was what I call just "smut", unkind, socially unfair, and meant to interfere in an actor's or actress' right to manage their career.  As a kid, I decided that was the only reason why Starsky and Hutch was eventually canceled.

Miami Vice on the other hand was not SOLELY an "Equal-Buddies" concept.  Yes, Crockett and Tubbs relationship is certainly structured to function that way in the show, but the show is clearly fights a more-enlarged campaign.  It wants to be a pertpetual showcase of a city (a concept we've seen in some American shows like Kojak, The Equalizer, etc); it wants to plug into a social phenomenon that's happening with people at the time (music video art), that has nothing to do with the cop show really--but it wants to incorporate that feeling into the show and see how the audience likes that; and in order to help that experiment succeed, it wants to push television soundtrack engineering way past it's MONO speaker fidelity, into 4-track high potential stereo.  

Wow, that's a LOT of ambition for a tv show.  MV lasted only as long as they could keep that (seriously hard and expensive) innovative achievement going.

Anthony Yerkovich started as a writer.  Some information says he wrote episodes for Starsky and Hutch, and so it's really nice that Hutch and Starsky end up directing episodes in Anthony's production after a decade--I hope they had lots of fun doing that, that's so cool.  

But I think it would be impossible to recognize any similarities in the story writing between episodes of S&H, and episodes of MV. Or maybe I'm wrong. I can't see it.

I will say, Starsky and Hutch didn't feel like a strong visual feeling of Los Angeles (not even when I look at the show with grown-up eyes).  Rockford Files gives what I feel is the most vivid feeling of LA.  Even today I feel Kojak is the best snapshot of what New York was like at the time.  Miami Vice gives the best feeling of the city Miami at the time.  But Starsky and Hutch was made from that old Hollywood studio prop street mindset, and you could still see that in some of their locations.

2 hours ago, Augusta said:

Tom you made me smile! Thank You!

I was a Starsky-Hutch fan in my youth, (had Matchboxe's version of the red tomato, too!).  But I was not good at absorbing the technical side of storytelling when I was in the 70's---by the 80's I was a college student with an interest in cameras and an appreciation for how good mechanics tell a good story to an audience.  
In the 70's shows like Starsky-Hutch were created around a buddy-partners-on-the-job concept,... and that's all.  No other ambition for the series.  In the early 70's, American tv still had Gunsmoke and Barnaby Jones, and Switch, and Adam-12 (Dragnet).  They were shows built on the structure of "primary character and his sidekick", and they were quite successful.  I think Hollywood realized they could  to leave the "Hero+Sidekick" idea, and master an idea of "2-equal-Buddies".  Emergency was the best (I think most successful example at the time) of the Equal-Buddies tv show in the 70's, and a lot of shows tried and failed.  If the Buddies concept is all you're really basing the show on, the audience either likes those two buddies, ore the show will fail.  
Starsky and Hutch lasted as long as the audience LIKED the buddy-actors.  I liked half the episodes, but I THINK the episodes didn't matter nearly as much as keeping the buddy relationship lovable to the audience.  
I hear that somewhere in later seasons, the off-show gossip and vile suggestions started tainting the audience's perception of the actors.  Some of it was what I call just "smut", unkind, socially unfair, and meant to interfere in an actor's or actress' right to manage their career.  As a kid, I decided that was the only reason why Starsky and Hutch was eventually canceled.

Miami Vice on the other hand was not SOLELY an "Equal-Buddies" concept.  Yes, Crockett and Tubbs relationship is certainly structured to function that way in the show, but the show is clearly fights a more-enlarged campaign.  It wants to be a pertpetual showcase of a city (a concept we've seen in some American shows like Kojak, The Equalizer, etc); it wants to plug into a social phenomenon that's happening with people at the time (music video art), that has nothing to do with the cop show really--but it wants to incorporate that feeling into the show and see how the audience likes that; and in order to help that experiment succeed, it wants to push television soundtrack engineering way past it's MONO speaker fidelity, into 4-track high potential stereo.  

Wow, that's a LOT of ambition for a tv show.  MV lasted only as long as they could keep that (seriously hard and expensive) innovative achievement going.

Anthony Yerkovich started as a writer.  Some information says he wrote episodes for Starsky and Hutch, and so it's really nice that Hutch and Starsky end up directing episodes in Anthony's production after a decade--I hope they had lots of fun doing that, that's so cool.  

But I think it would be impossible to recognize any similarities in the story writing between episodes of S&H, and episodes of MV. Or maybe I'm wrong. I can't see it.

I will say, Starsky and Hutch didn't feel like a strong visual feeling of Los Angeles (not even when I look at the show with grown-up eyes).  Rockford Files gives what I feel is the most vivid feeling of LA.  Even today I feel Kojak is the best snapshot of what New York was like at the time.  Miami Vice gives the best feeling of the city Miami at the time.  But Starsky and Hutch was made from that old Hollywood studio prop street mindset, and you could still see that in some of their locations.

Starsky and Hutch didn’t shoot much on studio sets but rather did a lot of location shooting in the city of San Pedro, which is not where most LA-based shows film.  They tend to film from downtown west toward Santa Monica and Malibu.  San Pedro is very far south near the Port of LA, and is only connected to LA by a narrow strip of land called the Harbor Gateway.  I live in the nearby city of Long Beach, which, like San Pedro, dates to the 1880’s and 90’s in its older neighborhoods.  At the time Starsky and Hutch was filmed in the 70’s, both areas also had fairly gritty, run-down urban centers that have since gentrified.  I think the same might be true for the locations Kojak filmed in.

I was a Starsky and Hutch fan also.  I find it funny that Paul Michael Glaser has said in numerous interviews that he hated driving the striped tomato. I must say the car was very eye appealing. Just last week my wife was looking on our ROKU for something classic to watch and she picked the pilot for this series.  It brought back great childhood memories.  I must agree with a previous comment that the 4th season was unwatchable.  I did enjoy the opening theme music.

• 2 months later...

Oh boy, that's a long times ago, back in 2006. lol Tastes change. ;)

In the meantime I watched all episodes from S&H and last year all the episodes from Rockford Files. I also watched Kojak long ago. And I know many songs from the 70's, as a child of the 80's. Except from the sound of the 70's (I only like a few songs) I do like these tv shows.

Interestingly, you can still see influences from the 70s, in "The Fall Guy" and not to mention "Hart to Hart", first aired in 1979. ;)