Episode #33 "Phil The Shill"

Ferrariman

7 hours ago, Sebax said:

One of my favorites episodes. The vibes, the style, the funny moments. The cars! (Mercedes, Lambo). 10/10

Yes such a good one. 10/10

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I watched it last night and had a blast with it. Phil Collins is a really charming bloke and I like his scenes with Izzy quite a bit. Switek and Zito also have some great comedy moments throughout. I think Kyra Sedgwick definitely has to be a contender for hottest Vice babe.

9/10

• Like 3

Totally transparent guest-star vehicle, but one of the better Vice comedy episodes. As I've mentioned before, I always find it interesting when people love this episode but hate Made for Each Other. The only real difference is Phil, honestly. It does showcase the potential Switek and Zito had as an episode focus point, and makes the loss of Larry even more tragic as the show moved forward.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

I always find it interesting when people love this episode but hate Made for Each Other.

Actually, that is quite interesting. I always thought if you loved one you also loved the other. I'm quite surprised there are fans that actually hate Made for Each Other. 

6 minutes ago, IzzyFan99 said:

Actually, that is quite interesting. I always thought if you loved one you also loved the other. I'm quite surprised there are fans that actually hate Made for Each Other. 

I was, too, but if you look at the thread for that episode you see it. I really like Made for Each Other and am split on Phil the Shill. I always really liked the character interaction and the con artist aspect, but the drug dealer bit always felt like it was bolted on near the end of the process to force coke into the plot.That and the double guest star bit. But other than that it's a good episode for me.

1 hour ago, Robbie C. said:

Totally transparent guest-star vehicle, but one of the better Vice comedy episodes. As I've mentioned before, I always find it interesting when people love this episode but hate Made for Each Other. The only real difference is Phil, honestly. It does showcase the potential Switek and Zito had as an episode focus point, and makes the loss of Larry even more tragic as the show moved forward.

I like them both :)

Love this one...Phil and Kyra both “made” this episode (their chemistry together & performances)! :clap: Also, despite the comedic aspect (comedy with class) there was also a serious & deadly aspect as well...the way they intertwined both was superb! :thumbsup: This episode was worthy of a sequel, with Phil & Kyra popping up again together, later on. 

Everyone has their opinions on what episodes they do or don’t like...to each his or her own. ;) But, I am one of those that does not care for Made for Each Other. I truly liked and cared about the characters of Switek & Zito, and I know they were mainly supposed to be the “comedic relief”, if you will, but MFEO wasn’t funny, nor was the plot interesting or captivating, nor did it help the characters any...it was just pure stupidity & ridiculousness (my opinion). I was very disappointed with MFEO :(, and I still say Stan & Larry deserved a much better episode together—although there were some very good storylines with and/or about each character “separately”. 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

• 10 months later...

I love this episode! It's hilarious but action-packed and entertaining as well! Since half of Phil’s songs (obviously exagerated but you know what I mean) ended up in MV episodes, it was only natural that Phil Collins would guest-star at some point! :baby: 

He was perfect for the part of the con Phil Mayhew--hilarious but definitely devious as well. Sometimes singers cannot act and you can tell when they try to guest star on some TV show or if they try to break out into the movie business. But, Phil Collins was a natural! Check out Kyra Sedgwick!! Whoa...this lady's awesome and has figured out some beauty secret...considering I saw a few episodes of The Closer (her show years later) and to me she didn’t look any older or different than on the "Phil the Shill" episode! :happy:

The plot was was interesting too and everyone did an awesome job...it was humorous or funny in parts, but there was also a deadly determination behind Sarah’s (Kyra) and even Phil’s motives as well! I love the aspect of Stan calling in sick, then sneaking on the Rat Race game-show...what was up with the whacky other contestant, Emo Philips I think...he was crazy & annoying as crap? :rolleyes: But, this was a different kind of episode...and it scored! :clap:

Also, I used to do some grounds work in the summer time on the side from my regular job, for this overweight slobby real estate guy named...Phil. He’d taken over ‘daddy’s’ Century 21 business in the town I live in. Well, sadly Phil was not the fair & honest/respectable business man his father had been. He was known as a liar, cheat, and a thief of sorts. Half the time I could never get Phil to pay me for the grounds work of show houses & empty lots he was trying to sell...and it was a constant "rat race" (pun intended from the episode :p) to get him to give me my check.

So, because of his name, his dishonest & scam-artist way of handling things, and remembering this episode...I always referred to him as ol' Phil-the-Shill. ;) Needless to say, ol' Phil-the-Shill eventually went out of business and I’d quit doing work for him a few years before he ran daddy’s business into the ground.

Anyway, this episode maybe didn't have some of the memorable "Vice" look or one of the unforgettable storylines...but Phil Collins and Kyra totally "made" the episode! They were fun & captivating enough that they really should have returned & popped up later in another episode. I originally gave this episode a 9...I still stand by that! :thumbsup: 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

Was this episode the only time a different song was used for the closing credits?

Aside from the final episode I think so, yes.

Also, Jan's C&T tailing the mercedes score is only used in this episode. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Such a great track to drive to in my fake spyder :p

Edited by fakespyder
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, fakespyder said:

Also, Jan's C&T tailing the mercedes score is only used in this episode. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

You are correct :thumbsup:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

Was this episode the only time a different song was used for the closing credits?

24 minutes ago, fakespyder said:

Aside from the final episode I think so, yes.

Correct...this episode & the finale are the only two episodes that an alternate song was used during the ending credits. :radio: 

8 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Correct...this episode & the finale are the only two episodes that an alternate song was used during the ending credits. :radio: 

I believe that’s actually wrong. Season 1’s “Calderone’s Demise” had the Tina Turner song “What’s Love Got To Do With It” playing during the end credits. 

So that’s a total of 3 episodes that had alternative end credit songs.

12 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I love this episode! It's hilarious but action-packed and entertaining as well! Since half of Phil’s songs (obviously exagerated but you know what I mean) ended up in MV episodes, it was only natural that Phil Collins would guest-star at some point! :baby: 

He was perfect for the part of the con Phil Mayhew--hilarious but definitely devious as well. Sometimes singers cannot act and you can tell when they try to guest star on some TV show or if they try to break out into the movie business. But, Phil Collins was a natural! Check out Kyra Sedgwick!! Whoa...this lady's awesome and has figured out some beauty secret...considering I saw a few episodes of The Closer (her show years later) and to me she didn’t look any older or different than on the "Phil the Shill" episode! :happy:

The plot was was interesting too and everyone did an awesome job...it was humorous or funny in parts, but there was also a deadly determination behind Sarah’s (Kyra) and even Phil’s motives as well! I love the aspect of Stan calling in sick, then sneaking on the Rat Race game-show...what was up with the whacky other contestant, Emo Philips I think...he was crazy & annoying as crap? :rolleyes: But, this was a different kind of episode...and it scored! :clap:

Also, I used to do some grounds work in the summer time on the side from my regular job, for this overweight slobby real estate guy named...Phil. He’d taken over ‘daddy’s’ Century 21 business in the town I live in. Well, sadly Phil was not the fair & honest/respectable business man his father had been. He was known as a liar, cheat, and a thief of sorts. Half the time I could never get Phil to pay me for the grounds work of show houses & empty lots he was trying to sell...and it was a constant "rat race" (pun intended from the episode :p) to get him to give me my check.

So, because of his name, his dishonest & scam-artist way of handling things, and remembering this episode...I always referred to him as ol' Phil-the-Shill. ;) Needless to say, ol' Phil-the-Shill eventually went out of business and I’d quit doing work for him a few years before he ran daddy’s business into the ground.

Anyway, this episode maybe didn't have some of the memorable "Vice" look or one of the unforgettable storylines...but Phil Collins and Kyra totally "made" the episode! They were fun & captivating enough that they really should have returned & popped up later in another episode. I originally gave this episode a 9...I still stand by that! :thumbsup: 

I give it a 9 as well and you right Phil's acting is spot on, he actually put's real actors to shame with his flawless performance.

What I like most about the episode is the balance between comedy and drama. On one hand its a bit silly and on they other it can be sinister. Rivers was an excellent bad guy.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Every Miami Vice season has to have at least one screwball zany episode and this is season 2's! It's always fun to see singers (Glenn Frey, John Taylor, etc.) playing roles in this show, this time it's Phil Collins.  Some of his tracks had been used excellently in previous episodes.  This time we get "Life is a Rat Race" which is a more of a jingle than a full-out song, and it sticks in my head after every time I see this ep. :radio::eek:

Emo Phillips has always creeped me out; he makes Bobcat Goldthwait and Pee-Wee Herman look normal by comparison!  Collins getting c-blocked by Izzy - "Dessert!" - when he's getting flirty with Kyra Sedgwick. :dance: I like the party scene: the line-snorting with that business-like redhead acting like they're sampling cheese or something, and Izzy stopping the music dead when he bumps into the stereo.  You're going to hell, Izzy!  But at least we get Clapton's "Knock on Wood." Nice amusement-park-at-night setting for the climax.   Of course, I've got to love Stan's final "revenge."

One of those middling, but very enjoyable Vice eps. 

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Just wondering: 

Does anyone know if the final answer in the “Rat Race” game about Elvis Presley’s last appearance on television is true?

(Something like “Ramada Inn, 1974, shot at Robert Goulet”)

• 3 months later...

Does anybody know the name of Rivers bodyguard, I can't seem to find his name anywhere on the internet.

He was also in Stallone's prison movie "Lock Up" but he name isn't credited there either.

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

Does anybody know the name of Rivers bodyguard, I can't seem to find his name anywhere on the internet.

He was also in Stallone's prison movie "Lock Up" but he name isn't credited there either.

I’ve tried looking for who this guy was all over, but can’t seem to find him. The MV Wikia page for this episode even mentions ‘River’s bodyguard’ shooting the two guys hanging in the old hanger in the plot section...but it does not say who the bodyguard was anywhere, even in the guest cast list?? ?( 

He just may be one of those background actors that may get paid a small amount for each thing they are in, but for whatever reason they’re not usually credited if they don’t have that big a part,  or if they don’t have a speaking part. There are a few ‘uncredited’ people that were in the movie Lock Up, listed at the bottom of the cast list on IMDb...but I’m not sure any of those are the guy you’re looking for, and I’ve not seen Lock Up before, lol.

He may end up being one of those MV mysteries (like who was Manny, Izzy’s driver?) that we can’t seem to figure out?  

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2022 at 11:17 PM, Dadrian said:

Just wondering: 

Does anyone know if the final answer in the “Rat Race” game about Elvis Presley’s last appearance on television is true?

(Something like “Ramada Inn, 1974, shot at Robert Goulet”)

I’m not sure about Elvis Presley’s last appearance on television...but the final question in this episode was in reference to Elvis shooting out a TV once when it showed an image of Robert Goulet.

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

I’m not sure about Elvis Presley’s last appearance on television...but the final question in this episode was in reference to Elvis shooting out a TV once when it showed an image of Robert Goulet.

Omg this totally changes my perception of the question!!! :) 

Thank you! 

I thought it meant the “camera shot”. :) 

Am I the only one???

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Thank you! 

Am I the only one???

As much as we all liked Elvis, and his music & image, in reality he was very disturbed. In later years he was usually whacked out on prescription drugs. He was actually known for shooting out his televisions if someone or something he didn’t like came on. The story goes he didn’t like Robert Goulet, and thought his singing and/or act was terrible. So, he shot out a television when Goulet came on, to shut him up, lol. This must’ve been around 1974 (per the question on MV), and I’m not even sure this was at Elvis‘ estate, Graceland. For some reason, I think I remember reading once that he was at a Ramada Inn.  But, I may be thinking of something else, lol. 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I’ve tried looking for who this guy was all over, but can’t seem to find him. The MV Wikia page for this episode even mentions ‘River’s bodyguard’ shooting the two guys hanging in the old hanger in the plot section...but it does not say who the bodyguard was anywhere, even in the guest cast list?? ?( 

He just may be one of those background actors that may get paid a small amount for each thing they are in, but for whatever reason they’re not usually credited if they don’t have that big a part,  or if they don’t have a speaking part. There are a few ‘uncredited’ people that were in the movie Lock Up, listed at the bottom of the cast list on IMDb...but I’m not sure any of those are the guy you’re looking for, and I’ve not seen Lock Up before, lol.

He may end up being one of those MV mysteries (like who was Manny, Izzy’s driver?) that we can’t seem to figure out?  

It was very unusual in that era for a non-speaking role to be credited, even if they appeared prominently in multiple scenes.  Any such role is considered “atmosphere” by SAG.  There were, however,  pay “bumps” above minimum if the individual was cast for specific physical characteristics, such as a physically large bodyguard, or for specific skills shown in the scene.

• Like 2

vor 3 Stunden schrieb ViceFanMan:

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Dadrian:

Thank you! 

Am I the only one???

Actually the question asked by Phil in the TV show was WHEN/WHERE Elvis shot out a TV for the last time and WHO was the intended target. 

That was exactly the hint to us TV viewers that this must have been rigged as Joe Perth who had not been able to answer any much easier question about Elvis before suddenly knew all details of the answer (date/location and Robert Goulet) in the last second and also said it in a very pre-trained computer-like staccato tone. :funky:

Edited by Tom