Comparisons between Miami Vice, Magnum PI and the Lethal Weapon series

GoldcoastOCB

I always felt that Tom Selleck and Mel Gibson in their respective shows/movies also had a little bit of MV-style beach-life, a sportscar and going undercover. It´s not exactly the same but the vibe i get has similarities with the other 2 actors playing their forementioned roles.What are your thoughts about this, MV.info-people?B.T.W. sorry i didn´t do it in german, folks.

• Administrators

ehm, lets see. sportscar, good looking guys, going undercover. well, at least some similarities. but i miss the music, the lighting, the neon, the pastels, the bad endings ...martin riggs is too crazy to be compared with crockett who is a more tragic character in my book. lethal weapon and magnum (though i like both as well) are a bit too funny, too much slapstick to match the vice vibe ...

Exactly my opinion. I never felt any identification with the person of 'Magnum' (okay, except the wish to drive a Ferrari *lol*) or the suicide daydreams of Martin Riggs. But with Sonny Crockett...this is another thing. I don't know, why, but in the Eighties I was a little envious of his job, his life, the location where he was living, his look (of course). And in the same time I felt sorry for him because the bads ends of his loves and other engagements. Never any other movie or TV-Series had "impressed" me in the same way.

yes in understand what you all mean,It´s just that i have a thing for undercover/flashy or different looking/nice sportscar-driving/sensible and sensitive/seasoned-cops that live on the edge.I know Magnum is the least dangerous when it comes to threats but i just love it when some kind of cool Lone Ranger comes along and tries to change the way things go just to make a difference.I think all 3 (DJ, MG and TS) had a certain nobility without being pussies. They could get any girl they want but still maintained their integrity and thus creating a person we could all imagine ourselves to be and could look up to.But you are right about MV being something special. It´s still unsurpassed and the perfect combination of music and the tropical, futuristic-look, good storylines and great actors makes it number #1 compared to all other and even new shows.My question really is, why does this cop/undercover-thing appeal to us and why do we like shows about that sort of thing?i would like some feedback on your opinions, MV-lovers

For me personally, the fascination has nothing to do with a cop or undercover thing. If Sonny would be a lawyer, private investigator or have any other non-important job, for me the feelings would be similar. It is the mixture of location, look and soundtrack (boring, I know). But in my opinion, one of the most important roles has the perfect choice of the music. Whenever and whereever I hear tracks like "Cry", "Madness Of It All" or "The Last Unbroken Heart", immediately I remember the accompanying scenes and almost there is an indifferent feeling-mixture of sadness, yearning and regrets. On the other side: Driving, sunlight and "Workin' On It", "Big League" or "Turn Up The Radio" out of the speakers...why couldn't it continue forever?I'll repeat it once more: There was nothing in the TV influencing my personal feelings in the same way.

• Administrators

i agree completely with our master of desast ... ehm ... master of the mv universe. it is this special mixture that i neither found on tv again. vice hadn't had that great impact on me without its phantastic music ... and the lighting ... and the pastels ... and and and ... *siiiiiiggggghhhhhh* ;(

alright, here's my two cents...It's not for nothing that even some 20 years after MV first aired, it still stands out as a unique 80s show. Seminal as it may still seem, however, it actually borrowed heavily on concepts of fashion, style and music that were already there, albeit adding its very own vibe and angle; nowadays, it is an often unregarded fact that MV did not so much "define" the 80s as it was defined by the 80s itself.That being said, MV came up with a couple of "firsts": elaborate, pastel-laden set designs, stylish wardrobe throughout, loads of pounding original 80s music, glossy night shots which are one of Michael Mann's trademarks even today, Art Deco scenery, and gritty, neo-noir storylines that simply hadn't been done for a TV series before. All told, it had a custom-designed big-screen feel, look and touch that just seemed to work.Arguably, this is what most people's fascination with MV has always been about. While Thomas Magnum essentially did the same as Sonny Crockett - enjoying oceanside tropical climate in his Ferrari convertible and earning his living as a snoop - it never really was the same for these specific reasons. Neither was Lethal Weapon, for that matter. The only thing it really ever had in common with MV was the buddy-buddy concept and maybe the high production values. Sonny Crockett was really one of a kind in this respect - being the streetwise, burnt-out cynic that he was, his character simply had more depth and credibility than Magnum and Mel Gibson. Maybe we should extend this little comparison to the "Bad Boys" movies. Without ever admitting it openly, they are ersatz sequels to "Vice", incorporating elements such as undercover work, flashy cars, expensive wardrobe and tropical scenery. Still not the same, however, for the reasons stated above.

My two cents:Well, I have a bit of a problem comparing Magnum and Lethal Weapon with Miami Vice.Without a doubt, both had their moments, but that was it! They were more funny and sometimes really stubborn, something Miami Vice easilly matched with dead seriousness.Whilst Crockett and Tubbs were the tough, dandy duo, especially Tom Selleck came across as the ultimate beach bum. And the music of Vice was unmatched. Martin Castillo was the rugged veteran, who knew how to play the game. Higgins was in my book a phony type of guy.You can say the same thing about Lethal Weapon. Lots of fun, some really good laughs, but the whole thing somehow misses the boat. I'd prefer Miami Vice anywhere and anytime. This tv-show set standards and still is the benchmark of all those more serious cop shows. Besides that, Michael Mann and his people influenced a whole generation with style and class.

yes indeed, you all have some very good points.You guys remember the series Tropical Heat? It was aired early 90's and it was a really poor and crappy rip-off of Miami Vice. It was the last attempt at a copshow that featured tropical environment, after that it became Law&Order/CSI-type of copshows. All very sterile and cold. I don't like CSI very much, it's much too dark and scientifical and depressing.Besides, these guys sure seem to have paranormal capabilities when it comes to crime-solving. While MV was far fetched at times, shows today really exaggerate the skills of the Law Enforcement-people, same goes for alot of movies.