Burn Notice, the Second Coming of Vice?

miamijimf

A new action/spy TV Show, entirely filmed in Miami, is making waves on South Beach and in the USA. The stars can’t compare with DJ, PMT, and company but who can? Its funny, entertaining and the Vice similarities are too numerous to be a coincidence. They use a lot of the same locations, use some of the same actors, and many scenes remind me of Vice scenes like the confrontation between Sonny and Evan where Evan points his gun at Sonny and then at himself. It is on the USA cable network and has been renewed for a second season already.Jeffrey Donovan stars as Michael Westen, an international spy who suddenly finds himself blacklisted. Dumped in his hometown of Miami without money or resources, Michael struggles to put his life back together and find out why he's been burned. In the meantime, he uses his unique skills and training to help people in need ... mostly people who can't get help from the police. Donovan is clever, funny, and usually cool. Michael is joined by Fiona (Gabrielle Anwar) an ex-IRA operative, who also happens to be an ex-girlfriend NOTE: Fiona is the name of the actress who played Jackie in the Vice Little Miss Dangerous episode. Sam (Bruce Campbell), is a washed-out military intelligence contact who's being used by the feds to keep tabs on Michael.He's also forced to confront the family he went halfway around the world to get away from - particularly his mother, Madeline (Sharon Gless) who couldn't be happier to have her son back in town.Talk about Miami Vice connections. Here is a close up picture of the neon sign used in the 2d season MV Little Miss Dangerous episode. As Vice fans will remember the sign flashed like lips blowing a kiss on the building that was "Sex World" according to the episode plot. The building was never a sleezy joint and is now Jerry's Famous Deli on Collins Avenue on Miami Beach. I thought all those props were long gone. The pics were emailed to me by members of the Burn Notice Production Company. The lips are constructed from a reflective sheet metal. They didn't say it was put in Michael's house deliberately but that a lot of the crew are MV fans and that some of them worked on the MV TV series. Consequently it's easy to figure out why it's there. They plan to continue to use it when filming season two, most likely to keep the interior scene looking the same. The sign looks a little worse for wear and some of the neon tubes are missing but hey, it still exists. Really appreciate these folks taking the time to photograph this unique object and email the jpg to me. Burn Notice is a great show, I'm definately hooked now. Thanks to DanJ for spotting it in Michael's home in a recent episode. Hope you get to see it in your Country soon.Eingefügtes Bild

Er spricht ueber und schwaermt von einer neuen TV Serie hier in den USA (Burn Notice, spielt in Miami) und ihre storyline, die viel Aehnlichkeit mit Miami Vice haben soll und von dem Neon-Herz aus "Little Miss Dangerous" (hing am "Sex World" Gebaeude), dessen Bild im zugespielt wurde.

• Administrators

Thanks for this information, MiamiJimF ... though it isn't fair to thumb our noses at this show ;)Your report really sounds interesting. I wish I could watch the show here. But thinking of the loooong time it took to bring MV to Germany in the Eighties i'm not very hopeful ... Hope the US viewers will make the show a hit. Then it'll will have good chances to be broadcasted in Europe as well.Anyway: Please send DanJ and all the other folks involved our warmest greetings and thanks for the pic and the information. Please keep us posted. 8)

Burn Notice/Vice Connection

Originally posted by Ell.aThanks for this information, MiamiJimF ... though it isn't fair to thumb our noses at this show ;)Your report really sounds interesting. I wish I could watch the show here. But thinking of the loooong time it took to bring MV to Germany in the Eighties i'm not very hopeful ... Hope the US viewers will make the show a hit. Then it'll will have good chances to be broadcasted in Europe as well.Anyway: Please send DanJ and all the other folks involved our warmest greetings and thanks for the pic and the information. Please keep us posted. 8)

Thanks Ell.a,I hope you don't mind me posting directly in English. I tried those on-line translators but they are not very accurate. I really like the show "Burn Notice" its not Vice but is as close as we are likely to get. Its great that the Vice fans involved with the show are keeping the tradition alive. I will pass on any other significant Vice related connections that appear. I'm sure there will be some.Jim

• Administrators

I have absolutely no problem with your English posts. And those who have use Babelfish (usually just once *lol*) or ask like Gecko did. I just discovered the "Ask a Spy" videos on the USA Network site... They are so funny! :DUnd jetzt nochmal auf Deutsch: ich weiss zwar nicht, welchen Trailer du meinst, Danny, aber ich finde die "Ask a Spy"-Videos zum Schiessen! Haben zwar nichts mit Miami Vice zu tun, diese Anleitungen, witzig sind sie trotzdem. :D

Original von Ell.aUnd jetzt nochmal auf Deutsch: ich weiss zwar nicht, welchen Trailer du meinst, Danny...

Ich hatte den hier (wöchendliche Vorschau) gefunden: http://www.usanetwork.com/series/burnnotice/ , als ich nach deutschen Infos zur Serie gesucht habe.Mit "kommt gut" meinte ich, daß ich auch ohne Beschreibung sofort gesehen hab, wo der spielt :)Da bin ich auch zig Male durchgelaufen *hachja* =)

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone a fan of Audrey Landers? Check this link for German language articles about her in Burn Notice.http://forums.usanetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=393258

´Course I am. If she´s havin`a part in "Burn Notice" I definetely have to see that show and hope, that it´s coming soon to germany. Does she still look that wonderful like she used to be?

Audrey Landers

´Course I am. If she´s havin`a part in "Burn Notice" I definetely have to see that show and hope' date=' that it´s coming soon to germany. Does she still look that wonderful like she used to be?[/quote']She still looks good based on the clippings linked to my above post. Looks good on TV also. Maybe a tad heavier these days, but that's OK. She has her own Production company in Sarasota, Florida. http://www.landersproductionz.com/index.html It helps explain why she is on Burn Notice, filmed in Miami. They seem to be hiring a lot of local actors and actresses. Hmmm Sarasota is right down the road from me, maybe I'll stop by.Found a Youtube video with her singing in German. She appears about one minute into the video. Not my kind of music but man what a figure! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OedCoW4EkO0&mode=related&search

• 2 years later...
  • 12 years later...

I know that some of you have watched Burn Notice or are interested because it has been called, "The second coming of Vice."  I would not go that far but there is no doubt that the show was greatly influenced by Vice and would not have been created if it was not for Vice.  My contention is that it was funny as well as entertaining as much as these gag reels/blooper reels.  I seriously doubt if we will ever get a remake of Vice (a good thing in a way).  There are lots of unknown findable locations used in this series that ran for 7 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUjheY_siFI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzqoapxb0RI

Edited by miamijimf

It's on German tv again, since last week. I only know season 1 and 2. So I am going to watch all seasons finally. :)

Whenever I watch movies or series that are set in Miami/Miami Beach, there are great evening/night shots, with all the colorful lights and the hustle and bustle on Ocean Drive. I wished Miami Vice would have shown the Ocean Drive at night with more wide-angle shots to show all the night life and neon signs in the same way there. But sadly that street was seen at day time in most episodes only.

And I'm watching Dexter now too. But, I had to realize that the series was actually shot in LA only. :eek:

• Like 1

Not crazy about Dexter but I watched a lot of it because all eight seasons were set in Miami.  The first episode of the first season was filmed entirely there.  Season One episode two thru five were filmed in South Florida and Los Angeles.  The rest of the series was actually shot in LA, Hollywood, and other locations in California.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Not crazy about Dexter but I watched a lot of it because all eight seasons were set in Miami.  The first episode of the first season was filmed entirely there.  Season One episode two thru five were filmed in South Florida and Los Angeles.  The rest of the series was actually shot in LA, Hollywood, and other locations in California.

I gotta admit miamijimf, I love "Dexter"; that show, Vice, & "Batman: The animated Series" are tied for #1, and three series I could view on rotation indefinitely and am thrilled that they were created. But yeah, "Dexter" isn't all Miami location-wise, so if I was to compare the shows on that aspect, Vice has "Dexter" beat.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, miamijimf said:

I know that some of you have watched Burn Notice or are interested because it has been called, "The second coming of Vice."  I would not go that far but there is no doubt that the show was greatly influenced by Vice and would not have been created if it was not for Vice.  My contention is that it was funny as well as entertaining as much as these gag reels/blooper reels.  I seriously doubt if we will ever get a remake of Vice (a good thing in a way).  There are lots of unknown findable locations used in this series that ran for 7 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUjheY_siFI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzqoapxb0RI

I do like "Burn Notice", and I think it has a Vice feel (love the warm beachfront shots, and of the hotels, especially; as a person like me who's in Florida and works at a hotel, I love that even more than I did before I came to the state:D). I also believe 2002's "Fastlane" was like a millennium Vice, and a pretty decent show (cost a lot to make, like Vice did), and what guy doesn't like Colleen, er, Tiffani Thiessen (she also seems like a good-hearted person, and I think that should count for something. I agree with sportswriter Bill Simmons: Thiessen should've been at least as big as Christina Applegate)?

Edited by Eillio Martin Imbasciati
forgot a bracket, capitalization
  • Like 1