CSI Miami : Miami Vice locals

Guest neworder

Guest neworder

Just watched the CSI Miami ep season 6 premiere Dangerous Son, not a bad ep, show clearly trying to be like Vice.This ep even uses two locals from Miami vice, it uses the Miami marine stadium as seen in yankee dollar http://miamivice.info/screenshots/yankee14.jpg.It also uses the house with the shootout in whatever works http://miamivice.info/screenshots/whatever12.jpg, couldn't find a direct CSI screen but i did find this one, the car is parked at the entrance to the drive of the house. http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/OJBymT94I5AXUkEKmY8Z7Q62288/GW624H490Another scene with some nice clouds http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/fdyVhK2LKUl35I6JLioWKw76086/GW624H416But yeah on the whole interesting episode, probably because its one of very few to actually be filmed entirely in Miami. SJB

I saw that episode with the Whatever Works house. The show is good enough. I just watch it to see Miami. Although there are times when it blatantly isn't Miami. There are hills and mountains visible.It would be much better if Don Johnson played Horatio. David Caruso just seems to be doing a bad Lt. Castillo impersonation

I saw that episode with the Whatever Works house. The show is good enough. I just watch it to see Miami.It would be much better if Don Johnson played Horatio. David Caruso just seems to be doing a bad Lt. Castillo impersonation

An interesting comparison. I never thought about it until you mention it but I agree. Nothing has or ever will surpass Vice.

Guest neworder

An interesting comparison. I never thought about it until you mention it but I agree. Nothing has or ever will surpass Vice.

Very true, i think sometimes though CSI Miami does attempt to get a bit of vice style in there. Unfortunately however, as with many TV shows made in America these days, i feel cheated with most of being set in L.A. I know it keeps productions costs down, but in many scenes you can quite clearly tell its not Miami. One things for sure, for the majority of the year Miami always has towering clouds in the distance, thunderstorms forming etc, you always get lovely shots of this in Vice, but in CSI the skies are always 100% clear blue which doesn't happen that much in Miami's tropical climate, well in the summer anyway!

How did Caruso's acting disimprove so much? I thought he was quite good in Mad Dog & Glory. He never used to be that wooden

Edited by Tommy Vercetti

• 11 months later...

i searched to find this topic before i made an "official" csi miami thread.it sounds like it may not be too well received, though.agreed, its far from a subtitute for MV, i really enjoy the show, no matter where it's filmed.horatio was a bit too much for me at first. he's like a modern day captain kirk to me, as far as his acting style. but, for all the same reasons, i ended up liking him. i think he and EJO have very similar ideas of what a law man should be. i will say it took me about 5-10 episodes to really start to enjoy it though. now i love it. i see old vice guest stars on there all the time.does anyone on here like csi miami, besides me?

Guest neworder

Yeah I do nofretz, took me a while to get into it too, at first I wasn't overly keen on Horatio but he isn't to be taken seriously and thats why now I find him pretty hilarious, his sun glasses scenes speak for themselves;

I have bought some of the DVD's, more of the earlier ones are actually filmed in Miami, there's about 8/9 episodes in Season 2 filmed in Miami, compared to Season 6 with 1 episode the first of the season and then I dont think Season 7 ever went to Miami. The earlier ones have better stories and more Miami locals and its filmed better (the over the top orangey colours annoy me sometimes in the recent ones) but the later ones tend to have more action, bigger plots and Eva La Rue who plays Boa Vista is quite hot. All this concludes for me; It's an enjoyable show, easy to watch and I'd love it even more if more was filmed in Miami, they do their best to disguise L.A but for Miami fans, and Miami Vice fans, we know Miami when we see it!!! But still good show ... and for me Ive just started watching Burn Notice so that should cater for my Miami local needs!Its quite funny, 3 out of 4 of the Tv shows I watch are centred on Miami, Vice, CSI Miami and Burn Notice ... 24 should go to Miami if they make a Season 9 lol!

Nice find, Neworder!I wouldn't be surprised if that shot of Caruso with the skyline in the background was taken in front of a greenscreen in a studio.at first I wasn't overly keen on Horatio but he isn't to be taken seriously and thats why now I find him pretty hilarious, his sun glasses scenes speak for themselves That's EXACTLY my perspective on the show.

i like burn notice' date=' too[/quote']I understand it is filmed in Miami and it looks that way too. I can't believe it's cheaper to film in LA than in Miami.:confused: I'm sure Miami would cooperate with filming CSI there.

There is one YouTube video where the dopey one-liners go on for over 7 minutes. God - please make the pain stop. Please make it stop.

I can't believe it's cheaper to film in LA than in Miami.:confused: I'm sure Miami would cooperate with filming CSI there.

All of Hollywood's infrastructure is in LA. When MV was being filmed in Miami, they were having to Fedex tapes back and forth across the country for editing. This isn't a movie, this is television and they are on a tight schedule for producing each episode.

Guest neworder

Yeah I remember in the E Hollywood Miami Vice story thing that they said the logistics of filming Miami Vice, with filming in Miami and production/writing etc in L.A was a key reason for cancellation of the show as it was costing a lot more to produce due to the distance. CSI Miami will save a huge amount of money, not good on authenticity but good on costs, they'll be making a killing with its popularity as well.

CSI Miami: Miami Vice LocalsAt first, I didn't like it, but it has grown on me. I'm trying to catch up on the characters, because I missed so many episodes and I know there are several story lines going on. Even though the show is shot in Miami, I love the shots of Miami.I just don't think about it and get immersed in the story. David Caruso-I like him. He's very different. But the dialogue they give him is terrible, especially in the opening scene when he tries to say something "deep" to tie in the theme, or whatever he's doing....it's so lame! Wish they'd stop "killing" off the characters (like Larry in MV). Don't like the rug pulled our from under me on my TV shows. TV is an escape, not real life!!!

anyone on here like csi miami, besides me?

I saw that episode with the Whatever Works house. The show is good enough. I just watch it to see Miami. Although there are times when it blatantly isn't Miami. There are hills and mountains visible.It would be much better if Don Johnson played Horatio. David Caruso just seems to be doing a bad Lt. Castillo impersonation

I get the feeling David Caruso watches MV episodes in his spare time. I don't watch CSI, but everytime I channel hop and I see his face..well:rolleyes:

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old topic but as WE TV has been airing frequent mini-marathons of CSI MIami I had to resurrect it.

Early eps of this show were better I thought and before Caruso began his predictable posing and sometimes corny abuse of one-liners in the teaser of most episodes. I do think there was some deliberate attempt by Caruso to copy the stoic Castillo in some of his mannerisms.

But admittedly I did like many of the plotlines and some of the characters (Delko, Calleigh, and a few others) and the mode of filming (can't recall the name) with the bright, almost neon colors really made the visuals jump off the screen. And the bad guys were often pretty unique.

And though filmed in LA, they did a fairly decent job imo of making it appear to be shot in Miami and the ocean surrounds. Sometimes even introducing very Miami-like settings such as the aftermath of a hurricane in one ep, or quite a few filmed out on the ocean. (wonder where they were shot?)

Also liked the occasional intro of current music (ala Vice at times) in some episodes and tonight I was struck by one that I liked in season 5, Death Pool 100.

Here it is for any interested:

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

And though filmed in LA, they did a fairly decent job imo of making it appear to be shot in Miami and the ocean surrounds. Sometimes even introducing very Miami-like settings such as the aftermath of a hurricane in one ep, or quite a few filmed out on the ocean. (wonder where they were shot?)

They actually filmed exteriors around Long Beach where I live.  Interiors were at a studio in LA.  I used to see them filming almost weekly around the marina, canals, and islands of Alamitos Bay.  It was a strange sight to turn down a street and see multiple Miami-Dade Police cruisers there! I never really watched the show, but recently I started to check out the openings to see if I recognize anything.  In one episode they showed the townhouse complex where I live. I don't remember the title, but it opened with a car bomb in a parking lot next to the beach, and there was our complex in the background.  Fun to see.

• Like 1

They actually filmed exteriors around Long Beach where I live.  Interiors were at a studio in LA.  I used to see them filming almost weekly around the marina, canals, and islands of Alamitos Bay.  It was a strange sight to turn down a street and see multiple Miami-Dade Police cruisers there! I never really watched the show, but recently I started to check out the openings to see if I recognize anything.  In one episode they showed the townhouse complex where I live. I don't remember the title, but it opened with a car bomb in a parking lot next to the beach, and there was our complex in the background.  Fun to see.

Now that's pretty cool that they filmed in your neighborhood. Ever get to see or meet any of the cast while you saw them filming? Long Beach is a ways up the coast from where I've traveled, closer to Huntington Beach and Newport Beach. Would be interesting as you watch more eps of the show what other locations you might recognize.

Also, if you are/were an LA frequent visitor, you might want to browse through C Glide's location site at miamivicelocations.org, as he has made numerous references in there to footage that may have come from the LA area and many are unidentified.

Just watched the CSI Miami ep season 6 premiere Dangerous Son, not a bad ep, show clearly trying to be like Vice.This ep even uses two locals from Miami vice, it uses the Miami marine stadium as seen in yankee dollar http://miamivice.info/screenshots/yankee14.jpg.It also uses the house with the shootout in whatever works http://miamivice.info/screenshots/whatever12.jpg, couldn't find a direct CSI screen but i did find this one, the car is parked at the entrance to the drive of the house. http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/OJBymT94I5AXUkEKmY8Z7Q62288/GW624H490Another scene with some nice clouds http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/fdyVhK2LKUl35I6JLioWKw76086/GW624H416But yeah on the whole interesting episode, probably because its one of very few to actually be filmed entirely in Miami. SJB

Very true they shot very few episodes in Miami  :thumbsdown: