The Way Sonny Smoked

liquido

I always got the urge to smoke whenever I saw DJ roll that cigarette between his lips before he started to smoke..lol..What season or show did the smoking stop?I wonder what stopped the smoking aspect??

• Administrators

I think it was around the beginning of season three that he stopped smoking and it was said to be his choice in real life.

• Administrators

Cigars still carry some health risk and the second hand smoke is hazardous as well.Buy it sure smells a lot better than cigarettes.

Guest neworder

I think it was around the beginning of season three that he stopped smoking and it was said to be his choice in real life.

Halfway through Season 2!Personally i dislike smoking due to health risks, but i cant deny the fact that sonny crockett looked more cool and looked more authentic as an undercover cop on the edge when he was smoking. If he smoked in season 5, that would've created the complete season 5 burnt out look!Im not endorsing that people shud start smoking, but cigars are better cos u dont inhale, but then again you can get mouth cancer from cigars....basically what im saying is dont smoke lol but crockett looks cooler when he does. Same goes for James Bond when he used to smoke.SJB

Halfway through Season 2!Personally i dislike smoking due to health risks' date=' but i cant deny the fact that sonny crockett looked more cool and looked more authentic as an undercover cop on the edge when he was smoking. If he smoked in season 5, that would've created the complete season 5 burnt out look!Im not endorsing that people shud start smoking, but cigars are better cos u dont inhale, but then again you can get mouth cancer from cigars....basically what im saying is dont smoke lol but crockett looks cooler when he does. Same goes for James Bond when he used to smoke.SJB[/quote']The thing is that you dont smoke 10 sigars pr day. Only some pr week.so the risk are small... and the smoke is COOL. Sigaretts are out

Your correct it was the beginning of season three when he quit. There was a couple of episodes in season one and also two that references were made about quitting. One that pops into my mind is when he was falsely accused of taking a bribe from Lombards man. Sonny was at the table under an umbrella on a patio and took his cigarette and stuck it into the guys food and said "I gotta quit these things someday" leaving the extinguished cigarette in the guys salad or whatever it was. I think it was actually cottage cheese if I remember correctly?There was another reference in season two but I can't put my finger on it...any one else remember?

• Administrators

Sonny to Brenda in "Nobody Lives for Ever" when they were on his boat after dinner and talking about the shoot out he was in at the pay phone when he called her.Sonny: "I gotta give these things up."Brenda: "That's probably the least dangerous thing you do."

I think Sonny and Rico were something like role models and a lot of people looked at the things they were doing. To stop smoking was a really good desicion, but a hard one. I know about tha ecause I smoked till 2003.

• Administrators

The last episode that I remember seeing Sonny smoke was "One Way Ticket" in Castillo's office. Sonny was pacing and explaining to castillo that he wanted to chase a lead.

I do agree that his smoking contributed to his image as a hard-driving, hard-drinking undercover cop. I bet with the extra pounds he put on later he might have been reconsidering the decision to stop smoking.

Sonny to Brenda in "Nobody Lives for Ever" when they were on his boat after dinner and talking about the shoot out he was in at the pay phone when he called her.Sonny: "I gotta give these things up."Brenda: "That's probably the least dangerous thing you do."

Good one Timm!!!

Tobacco in any form can cause cancer.I smoked cigarettes, cigars, and dipped snuff.The cigarettes were for only 3-4yrs thankfully, the cigars were for 3yrs, and the snuff for 16. I'm glad I dropped all of them. But I agree that cigarettes made Sonny look cool. It added to the aspect to the show, the image of Sonny.If he had smoked cigars, that would have added a Columbo image, or an Edward G. Robinson (one of my favorite actors btw) to him character. you're going to give me the dope see, or I'll have my mugs mow you down with their gats!:)

• 2 months later...

Smoke gets in your eyesMrs. C, I agree. For me being a woman, I thought he looked Sexy rolling, tapping and licking the Lucky Strike before smoking it. For the guys, yeah it went with the heavy drinking undercover cop.....I agree...Sue

To quote Joel Hodgson real quick:"Everyone knows smoking kills, but it's cool!"Sonny looks like a total bada*s with a cigarette, even if it's not the healthiest habit on Earth. I've tried cigs before, I wasn't real big on them, though I don't mind a cigar once in awhile.

• 4 months later...
Mrs. C' date=' I agree. For me being a woman, I thought he looked Sexy rolling, tapping and licking the Lucky Strike before smoking it. For the guys, yeah it went with the heavy drinking undercover cop.....I agree...Sue[/quote']Sorry to bring this old topic back.Call me gullible but I also prefer to see Sonny smoke, or is it the way he's smoking?, also here in europe it's hard to come by non-filter LS's, but they do have them in Spain for instance, so whenever I go on holiday there I always get some. Yes I admit I have tried and smoked them just because of this show. However no I didn't start smoking with it, I smoked on and off before that - as I still do, usually on weekends when I have a drink or in company.What I discovered is that they are heavy on the throat so you got to take it easy, I'm guessing that's the reason Sonny's voice was raspy.If you're smoking I would say keep them LS's for 'special occasions' and stick to lighter sorts or best yet don't smoke at all.

Silly Prince...Quit smoking while you still have the chance!If the show decided to set high moral standards (as they saw the light) then you should too, and don't rely on the early episodes to "Be Cool"Smoking will kill you. I have seen too many people crippled by it and die. I still see people dying around me who were smokers.Do yourself a favour and don't start!

Smoking looks cool. .....as long as someone else does it. Gotta admit, Sonny LOOKED cool, but that's one aspect of Sonny that I won't try to copy.Wearing cool designer clothes, living in a fancy place, sleeping with women, driving an Italian convertible sports car, yes. Smoking no.

• 2 years later...

Sonny made smoking very :cool: the way he did it.I missed that after we did not see him smoking anymore.I might have picked it up because of the show but I don't t think so.I was in high school going to graduate soon at the time.It was sort of the cool thing to do in the 80's at the time.I smoked because it helped with my nerves.Instead of chewing my fingernails.I still do smoke cigarettes but not as much and smoke cigars once in awhile with a nice brandy.Not a vice I am willing to give up.