80's best decade

Paul

I was watching Sky News the other night and it was mentioned that in the last 50 years the 80's was voted the most popular decade.There was a mention of MV in relation to the fashions.They showed Duran Duran with the white jackets and pastel T shirts. I would have thought most people would relate more to DJ's fashion than Duran Durans's.:cool::cool:

Guest neworder

Duran Duran were popular world wide throughout the early 80's, in fact the peak of Duran Duran's popularity actually came before Miami Vice in 1982-1983 whereas Vice started 1984. Not saying Vice was influential in fashion sense, but UK wise, i think Duran Duran had much more influence, the showing of Vice over here im led to believe was very fragmented after the showing of season 2.However, i was born in 1989, what the hell do i know? lol, this is what ive read tho. DD were a huge global band though, and with the hit success of writing the a view to a kill track for the 007 movie of the same name, im afraid that even Miami Vice being in the top 10 US TV shows in 1985 couldn't beat the popularity of a bond movie...i think thats why DD were intrepeted as more an influence. SJB

Maybe in the Uk but not across the pond. I watched Vice when it was first-run and know first hand the impact Vice had on style and fashion in the US. DJ and PMT were interviewed as major celebrities for the first 2 years of Vice and men were not only dressing like DJ but you saw 5 o'clock shadows and shoes with no socks.

• Administrators

Very surprising with their popularity that Duran Duran never had a song featured in Vice.

Very surprising with their popularity that Duran Duran never had a song featured in Vice.

i've always thought the same. maybe fred lyle thought he would stay away from the obvious choices. i dunno...

Duran Duran were popular world wide throughout the early 80's' date=' in fact the peak of Duran Duran's popularity actually came before Miami Vice in 1982-1983 whereas Vice started 1984. Not saying Vice was influential in fashion sense, but UK wise, i think Duran Duran had much more influence, the showing of Vice over here im led to believe was very fragmented after the showing of season 2.However, i was born in 1989, what the hell do i know? lol, this is what ive read tho. DD were a huge global band though, and with the hit success of writing the a view to a kill track for the 007 movie of the same name, im afraid that even Miami Vice being in the top 10 US TV shows in 1985 couldn't beat the popularity of a bond movie...i think thats why DD were intrepeted as more an influence. SJB[/quote']Ah yes ,I hadn't realised that DD preceded Vice by a year. From an Australian perspective, even today if your wearing White/Cream Jacket, Pastel T and white slip ons, people will always make reference to MV

Guest neworder

Well i was out and about , 4am in the morning good night out in Durham, just stopping off at a takeway, i was wearing dark blazer, white trousers, palm tree esk shirt and some guy come upto me and was like 'woah miami vice, role up ur sleeves' and i was like hmmmm, cos i wasn't even meant to really be looking like a vice cop that night lol. And another thing, when everybody hears Miami Vice they just instantly think 'role up your sleeves' to which i explain that it only really goes on in season 3, and sometimes in season 1/2 to which they just reply... 'oh'. lolSJB

Well i was out and about ' date=' 4am in the morning good night out in Durham, just stopping off at a takeway, i was wearing dark blazer, white trousers, palm tree esk shirt and some guy come upto me and was like 'woah miami vice, role up ur sleeves' and i was like hmmmm, cos i wasn't even meant to really be looking like a vice cop that night lol. And another thing, when everybody hears Miami Vice they just instantly think 'role up your sleeves' to which i explain that it only really goes on in season 3, and sometimes in season 1/2 to which they just reply... 'oh'. lolSJB[/quote']Too funny. Something only a true Vice aficionado would know.

The eighties were DEFINTIELY the best!I had cool clothes, cars, money, toys and I was single! I was young and enjoyed the eighties to the fullest. I definitely miss it........................Not much has changed except that I got older...................................

• 2 months later...

Duran Duran made a guest appearance in the ep "Whatever Works" and played their hit "Bang a Gong" (Get it On). Guitarist Jason Taylor was the only one with spoken lines.Also' date=' I was watching VH1 Classic today and they were showing the top ten Duran Duran videos. #5 was "Hungry Like a Wolf." After they played the video, the host mentioned (I'm paraphrasing here) "Don Johnson's look for Sonny Crockett was influenced by Jason Taylor's look in "Hungry Like a Wolf." They even gave side-by-side pics of Taylor and DJ. You might be able to see this online at http://www.vh1classic.com Click on the link for "all time top ten."