Favourite Season Premiere

Guest neworder

Guest neworder

Well i did fave season finale a few months back so why not find out the fave season premiere.For me the pilot is fantastic, but Prodigal Son is a more complete package as vice had time to establish itself.To be fair all the season premieres are good, even Irish eyes, but Irish eyes is the worst for me. So vote away and add comments accordingly. Note: ive grouped hostile takeover and redemption in blood together cos they are a continuing storyline arent they!SJB

My favourite would be Brother's Keeper. An excellent pilot that sets the scene and introduces the characters and scenario in a great way. It's chockful of memorable scenes and it's quintessential Vice.A close second is the Burnett arc. Hostile Takeover really opens the season with a bang with an awesome intro; Underworld's 'Underneath the Radar' zooming aerial shots of downtown Miami at night, the introduction of Burnett and the shootout at the party - wow! And the rest of Hostile Takeover/Redemption In Blood are excellent too.I like Prodigal Son. It's a very good episode, especially the scene with Mr. Burns, but it's not a favourite of mine because I prefer the action in Miami rather than New York.When Irish Eyes Are Crying is a good episode. I like how it ushered in the new look and feel of S3 which was necessary as I think S2 was going stale at times with some weak and cheesy episodes(Tale of the Goat, Junk Love, Free Verse, Trust Fund Pirates). The Daytona's last stand is a classic Vice scene but it does have some weak points and Saundra Santiago and Liam Neeson can rival even Ikea Sh!teley and Orloondo Bland as the most wooden screen couple ever. They should've used El Viejo as the S3 opener as it's a better episode.The worst is without a doubt Contempt of Court. Boring style-less crap full of stuff recycled from season one (Crockett going to jail, the ending of No Exit, Lombard's racketball line). A crap season opener and crap episode period.

My favourite would be Brother's Keeper. An excellent pilot that sets the scene and introduces the characters and scenario in a great way. It's chockful of memorable scenes and it's quintessential Vice..

Well said...and I agree too.

Hostile Takeover for me.Too big of a cliff hanger from season 4.

I'm with you on this one Timm. This was a great ending to Season 4 as you are left wondering about Tubbs.

i think prodigal son is the best production all around (maybe of the whole series), but there's something so magical about the pilot. i had to vote for the pilot.

100% Prodigal Son! Some early season 1 episodes were a little rough around the edges in terms of show production. But Prodigal Son has everything working for it. Great cast (with Castillo and no Gina), great songs, great acting, great scenery, and most of all....a very good story. Also many great memorable lines from that episode. In fact I think the Prodigal Son could have done pretty well in the theaters back then.

• Administrators

It was really hard for me to decide between Hostile Takeover and Prodigal Son. But in the end Prodigal Son got my vote because this episode is more "Vice" than Hostile Takeover (though it takes place in NYC). Maybe it's the most "Vice" episode of the whole show ... :glossy:

could we all agree that irish eyes is the worst? why couldn't the daytona just get stolen or something? they hat to blow it up!! bastards!!woo hoo, sergeant badge! viggo would be proud :)

At least they didn't start a season with "Missing Hours" or "Leap of Faith"!

those eps were aptly named:"missing hours" is the missing hour of the season for me."leap of faith" was indeed a leap of faith...into the garbage can.

• 5 months later...

I’m really surprised that more haven’t voted for The Pilot…Currently on the Favorite Episode Poll, it occupies 2nd place behind Evan…Season 2 and 5 openers were very good, but The Pilot…it started it all and left you wanting more…

Not sure I'd recommend a 'newbie' to view the S5 opener(s), but for a seasoned Vice fan, these eps are fantastic - and in many ways the show ended with the end of the Burnett trilogy anyway...

I'd say Prodigal Son. I can't really consider Brother's Keeper, as that's a series premiere (although it is a better episode, the Vice formula hadn't been solidly established yet). The S3 and S4 openers are good but not especially spectacular, and the S5 opener has to be taken with the S4 finale to work IMO.Although there are problems plot-wise with PS, it is a good ep, and while I wouldn't want them there all thew time, there's something undeniably cool about C & T in NYC. Plus it just feels like an all-star season premiere, like something special (which it was).

• 7 months later...

Prodigal son, not doubt to me. Incredible production, great music (including "You belong to the city", which I read was specially recorded for Vice), great characters...

It´s almost a draw for me as I equally like Brothers Keeper and Prodigal Son. However I like Crocketts scruffy look in the pilot with the carrera glasses. Prodigal Son is a truly great ep and as it is season 2 the characters are more developed. But both are exellent. It´s the 2 eps I watch over and over again.

I like the openings of season 1,2 and 5. At first I couldn't pick wich one to vote for. But at last I choose prodigal son because of the scene with the banker. That scene still holds it today!

Prodigal Son is an excellent episode under all aspects, I can watch it 1000 times, but the pilot has something special.I don't know what it is, it's probably just a feeling so my vote goes to Brother's Keeper.

For me, the best season opener is Season Five's "Hostile Takeover", while I can't say much for rockett's strange looking ponytail in that episode and El Gatos' fashion sense:eek:, the episode has a great opening and Don puts in a signifcantly cold blooded performance as Crockett thinking he is still Burnett."Brother's Keeper" was great of course, "When Irish Eyes Are Crying" was great too especially the small appearance by Walter "General Gogol" Gotell, "The Prodigal Son" was okay except for Crockett going after yet another short haired woman who ends up tied into his case, and "Contempt of Court" while opening my favorite season is painfully boring and unoriginal.

• 7 months later...