Thug Extra

miamijimf

Discussing the days when Vice first aired on TV made me think about a guy I met at the time who said he was an extra on the show. He was the hand to hand combat instructor at the Broward Sheriff's Academy. A real big guy, awesome individual but friendly and volunteered to give a class to my ROTC cadets. I think it was this actor who appeared as the bad guy's muscle in numerous episodes including Down for the Count. Don't remember for sure, it's been a few years. I asked RB in a PM if he knew him but never got an answer. Can anyone find a bio on this guy? Thanks,Eingefügtes Bild

• Administrators

Don't have much of an answer but I think you are correct on this.This was once discussed on .org long ago.Maybe Ferrariman will remember.

Thanks Timm but you are probably thinking of my post asking the same question. Unless there was some discussion about him before I joined in Oct 06 that I can't find.

Guest The Talk

I think it was this actor who appeared as the bad guy's muscle in numerous episodes including Down for the Count. Eingefügtes Bild

Do you remember some of the "numerous episodes" except 'Down for the Count'? Because this is the only one I could remember, too.In this episode he isn't named in the credits. But I guess in the other ones neither. You probably have checked this already.(?)

post-5-13892962861752_thumb.jpg

Guest neworder

Well the original picture posted by miamijimf is in fact from Hard Knocks in Season 5, not sure if he's in any other eps cant remember off the top of my head.SJB

• Administrators

Jim,You joined .org before I did, but I spent many months reading the archives before I joined. I was actually turned off and almost didn't join .org because of the RB/arguemental threads of that time.I can remember reading this at one point and time.I know this was discussed before, just can't place it. Sorry.Tim

Guest The Talk

I think this one will turn out as the most difficult "trivia game":D as we even do not know his name.Maybe someone (ev. 'Tom71' ??) can help who has a screenplay-copy of one of the episodes this "thug" occured.

Ya he was in Hard Knocks Down for the Count and at least one other ep. Should have written down the titles but I'll do some searching. I remember seeing him get killed in a shootout at the end of one ep. He goes crashing through a store display/window of some kind. The problem is he is never given a name in any of the episodes. Someone with a script might help since I think I would recognize his name. Tom71? Thanks,

was he in the howie wong bust at that restaurant of golden triangle (where they bust the two young boys)?

Yes just watched GT pt II. He is a goon in the kitchen who gets shot.

wow :)i didn't think i could watch too much MV, but now i'm not sure. i can't believe i was actually right. i just remembered a big guy in a blazer.milk run's diego moya is a recidivist, as well. i can think of 2 or 3 eps he turned up in.

His name is Joe Hess. He used to be the world champ in full contact karate. He played a few bad guy roles on vice. He's a good friend and training partner of Ron Russell, Don Johnson's bodyguard. He's a real nice guy although he always seemed to play the bad guy. He's done some movies, too.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Yep, Bodyguard is absolutely correct!I know now that he mentioned his name, my Aikido instructor had a picture of him with Joe Hess in our dojo.Great call and welcome! :clap::clap::clap:Clinck here ----->Link

he was in so many episodes. I instantly recall (beside the eps you folks already mentioned):Hard Knocks (this is one of the two screenshots in this thread, where he and the second thug played by James L Silverman threaten the quarterback), Victims of Circumstance (the brawl) and Freefall (he was one of the goons dragging Crockett out of his car in the teaser). Unfortunately, I don´t remember his name being on any of the closing credits.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest neworder

Was watching Trust Fund Pirates last night and he's in that tooOne of the goons who goes to see Jackson at the crack house and then gets thrown 'over board' by the pirates.SJB

You guys are incredible! I definitely remember his face as a 1980s henchman-thug. According to IMDB, he was also in "Nobody Lives Forever" and "Walk Alone", but IMDB is not always accurate.He is also credited in the Burn Notice episode "Scatter Point".

• Administrators

Yep, watched "Walk Alone" last night and he was the guy that "Pink" shot in the bar during the drug meet at the beginning.He has one of those unmistakable faces once you know who he is.

Bodyguard and guys, that's great you identified him. I'm still curious to know if he was the Hand-to Hand combat instructor I knew at the Broward Sheriff's Dept. It seems a possibility he also worked there at the time. I think I'll call to see if they remember him.Thanks,