Episode #63 "Red Tape"

Ferrariman

3 hours ago, buickman69 said:

The Jan Hammer music at the opening of the episode, where Crockett and Tubbs pulls up in the Ferrari is what I'm interested in. I know there are several of his songs released and easily accessible on You Tube. But this particular song is one I have been after for a while. It's also been in other episodes besides this one, and like Croclkett's Theme has a different version as well.

Does anyone know the name of it or where/how I can find it?

Thanks.

I think it's this^. (Great episode)

• Like 2

On 3/1/2019 at 7:58 PM, Vincent Hanna said:

I think it's this^. (Great episode)

I can't believe you found this! I looked everywhere! Great "detective" work!

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Great episode 9/10

The ending was very sad. 

I love this episode , great teaser with Sonny and Rico pulling up in the early hours of the morning with great dialogue.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

I love this episode , great teaser with Sonny and Rico pulling up in the early hours of the morning with great dialogue.

Love this song at the beginning as well - The Best Adventure by Thinkman.

Brilliant choice.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RedDragon86 said:

Love this song at the beginning as well - The Best Adventure by Thinkman.

Yes worked really well. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Starts around the 2:20 mark. Anyone know who the original actress was she's talking about?

Btw, it does annoy me how these entertainment-types condescend towards shows like this just because they're "old". Miami Vice, ever heard of it? They usually don't pick the most flattering clips to play either. Just my 2cents.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bren10 said:

Btw, it does annoy me how these entertainment-types condescend towards shows like this just because they're "old".

I think it has lot do with all of all the MV wanna-be guys that ironically made their own parody in the 80s, much like the character on “The Wedding Singer”. I also think that anyone who makes these jokes or comments would agree they loved the show, and they recognize what a game changer it was—thus being the immortal classic we love.  

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 10/8/2019 at 9:36 PM, mjcmmv said:

236515316_*3-REDTAPEtumblr_mjn1q2IQEl1ra202ro1_1280copy.jpeg.47e38561ea05472b66b5a7d7f39cf227.jpeg

"Red Tape". One of the best scenes ever and a great song! 

I totally agree. I always thought that was the “A Team” van in that video. :)

• Haha 2

• 7 months later...

This is my #1 of season 3.  Red Tape has the snap and crackle of the earlier shows - and the plot races along top speed.  As others have said this has a great teaser: The high, cocky spirits of the fresh young cops ends in tragedy.  Thinkman's "Best Adventures" is a terrific single.  I was less enamored with the Alan Parsons songs though.  Scott Plank was cool; it's sad that he died young - he had a charismatic William Peterson vibe.  I need to eventually see L.A. Takedown. 

I think this is my only 10/10 episode for the third season. 

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Jack Gretsky said:

I need to eventually see L.A. Takedown. 

You should. I highly recommend it. It's great. It's done in Mann's signature '80s style. Heat fans really crap on it though which is beyond annoying. They should be more grateful as Mann actually said L.A.T was helpful to him in making Heat and it served as a prototype. Just watch it for what it is, a TV movie from 1989, and don't compare it to Heat and you'll have fun.

I agree that Red Tape is one of the best of season 3. It was good that there were two great episodes in a row, Red Tape and By Hooker By Crook. I stand by my review of Red Tape from page 1 here. I'll just say Annette Bening was yummy in Red Tape.

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
  • Like 3

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Tommy Vercetti:

You should. I highly recommend it. It's great. An small screen version of Heat done in Mann's signature '80s style. Heat fans really crap on it though which is beyond annoying. They should be more grateful as Mann actually said L.A.T was helpful to him in making Heat and it served as a prototype. Just watch it for what it is, a TV movie from 1989, and don't compare it to Heat and you'll have fun.

I agree that Red Tape is one of the best of season 3. It was good that there were two great episodes in a row, Red Tape and By Hooker By Crook. I stand by my review of Red Tape from page 1 here. I'll just say Annette Bening was yummy in Red Tape.

LA Takedown in my understanding was the original and Heat"just" the remake. Storylines are the same and I don´t see any big differences except the format (film) and the actors. Mann was obviously keen on trying the same story again with different technical and budgetarial possibilities.

Thus I think the LA takedown bashing is ridiculous and reminds me of something: There is also a famous Robbie Williams song ("She´s the one") that hit the charts that was just a cover version of an older World Party song nobody had noticed. Once that topic was brought up, all Williams fans went crazy and deemed it an insult of her majesty.

As far as Red Tape is concerned: this episode is so strong because it combines a strong original story and good tension (keeping open very long whether Tubbs has really quit) with personal drama AND a Tubbs focus where Crockett plays second fiddle without being left out. I also tend to believe that Gabrielle Beaumont as a director has huge credit in its quality, as the style (most prominently the slow motion shooting scenes) sets this episode apart from others.

Takedown was also meant as a pilot to a Vincent Hanna tv series, so the two productions are trying to accomplish different things. But in all honesty LAT can't help but suffer in comparison when you have 2 of the greatest actors ever in the leads and a feature film budget to boot. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tommy Vercetti said:

I'll just say Annette Bening was yummy in Red Tape.

While watching her in this I was thinking how she would have been a more appropriate Dr. Theresa. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jack Gretsky said:

While watching her in this I was thinking how she would have been a more appropriate Dr. Theresa. 

Yeah much better fit and less annoying. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Yeah much better fit and less annoying. 

Is it just me, or does Helena Bonham Carter look like she’s about 12 years old when she’s lying in the hospital bed at the end of “Theresa”? 

AB85AF08-B0A3-4A69-9605-76BEDB7C5A8A.jpeg

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bren10 said:

She looks 12 the whole time which is why I never felt quite right about her with Sonny.

None of it really worked, but different episode, different thread. Or so they say.

37 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

None of it really worked, but different episode, different thread. Or so they say.

Now Robbie you know I’m the resident derailer around here. Like the Noog Man, “I’m known to talk about anything or nothing at all!” :) :) :) 

• Haha 1