Episode #63 "Red Tape"

Ferrariman

32 minutes ago, gazzaa2 said:

One thing I don't quite get is why Castillo says "take as much time off as you need" to Tubbs at the end. If he was only on an assignment why would he need to take time off? Castillo is usually hardline about getting on with the job.

It would almost suggest Tubbs really did flip out but then put the word back to Castillo that he'd found the leak.

He usually is, I think you are right Marty's style is by the book and he doesn't bring feeling into it, even at the end of "The Prodigal Son" they barely a hello from their boss, just get back to work lol.

"Sir? I decided to reopen surveillance on Newton Blade" "That means paperwork on my desk by 1700 hours" "It's nice to know we're appreciated, putting our life on the line"

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, gazzaa2 said:

One thing I don't quite get is why Castillo says "take as much time off as you need" to Tubbs at the end. If he was only on an assignment why would he need to take time off? Castillo is usually hardline about getting on with the job.

It would almost suggest Tubbs really did flip out but then put the word back to Castillo that he'd found the leak.

Double post, don't know why it did that. 

Edited by RedDragon86

37 minutes ago, gazzaa2 said:

Tubbs was initially on assignment and/or undercover...true. But, with the death of the younger fellow cops, and the unplanned “rough” way it went down for Tubbs, Castillo may have felt he needed a few days to process & deal with the situation.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Tubbs was initially on assignment and/or undercover...true. But, with the death of the younger fellow cops, and the unplanned “rough” way it went down for Tubbs, Castillo may have felt he needed a few days to process & deal with the situation.

True but even in an episode like Child's Play Castillo is very firm on Sonny needing to get on with his job, who he can see is a wreck after shooting the kid. It's just not usually his style.

6 minutes ago, gazzaa2 said:

True but even in an episode like Child's Play Castillo is very firm on Sonny needing to get on with his job, who he can see is a wreck after shooting the kid. It's just not usually his style.

Actually, Castillo was firm on Crockett in “Child’s Play” for not dealing with the situation right...getting with someone, talking it out, processing, etc... He would have given Sonny time off. But, he took off rogue & know one knew where he was or what he was doing.

In “Red Tape”, I think it was because of the death of Bobby especially...as he died before Tubbs was able to let him know it had been an act...he wasn’t dirty. 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 6:23 PM, gazzaa2 said:

The question of whether Tubbs actually freaked out at the beginning was one I asked myself.

In my opinion, what speaks for a real freak-out is that I simply can't imagine that the arrest at the beginning, which ends with the death of the young cop, was just staged. The danger of such an action ending the way it did is simply far too great.

But if this was indeed a planned arrest that turned out to be a set-up, then there was simply no opportunity between the explosion and Tubbs' freak-out to develop a plan according to which Tubbs would just pretend to freak out.

Castillo's statement makes a good argument that Tubbs' freak-out was originally real. Perhaps Castillo sought out the conversation with Tubbs after his freak-out and they ultimately developed this plan for Tubbs to pretend to be a dirty cop.

Edited by Glades
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, apocalypse said:

They should have told Bobby (Lou Diamond Phillips) about the plan from the day one. Why wasn't he told about it?

He died for nothing.

I think the viewers were just being deceived as much as possible into thinking Tubbs had gone bad. Hence the conversation with Sonny in jail and Switek and Bobby in the station.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gazzaa2 said:

I think the viewers were just being deceived as much as possible into thinking Tubbs had gone bad. Hence the conversation with Sonny in jail and Switek and Bobby in the station.

Remember they were trying to find a leak inside the department so very few could know the plan. If too many were briefed, the chance of it failing would have been much greater.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, pahonu said:

Remember they were trying to find a leak inside the department so very few could know the plan. If too many were briefed, the chance of it failing would have been much greater.  

Exactly...no one in the OCB were to know, except Castillo & Tubbs. 

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

I just found Scott Plank died in a car accident in 2002 ;( .

Worked for Michael Mann in later projects . He was in Crime Story and L.A. Takedown (the TV pilot that served as a prototype for Heat).

His character was the thing I liked the most from this episode.

d1f51940a6efcf83097ccbcfd55de930b1ca6391d14090c6d29e9795e9f15309.thumb.jpg.51d9cd613604fde0679e97b0788e562b.jpg

RedTapeVickyMacIntyre.JPG.d474d21541a463df3ff85ad039086721.JPG

Edited by johnnyfarragut
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

I'm saddened to hear this news. He was a good actor.

For a long time I preferred his portrayal in LA takedown over Al Pacino's in Heat.

• Like 1

Do you mean where he's aiming or how he's holding the gun?

If it were not for censors I think they would have had him put the pistol to his head.

Lots of bodies dropping in this scene, so I'm guessing they did not want to push their luck with anything more realistic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fakespyder said:

Do you mean where he's aiming or how he's holding the gun?

If it were not for censors I think they would have had him put the pistol to his head.

Lots of bodies dropping in this scene, so I'm guessing they did not want to push their luck with anything more realistic.

Aiming at the heart, instead of the head or the neck. So yeah, probably just a way to make the scene look less violent

• Like 1

8 hours ago, johnnyfarragut said:

Weird target choice for a suicide.

MIAMIVICE-S03E19-RedTape(720pBluRay-ENGx2Audio)_1(00_45_24.17).png.5587d207f7b6dbd563689a03674f66cf.png

Believe it or not, some have sadly committed suicide this way...I think it is to shoot in the heart, ensuring that they will die. This whole episode is a little "off" to me anyway, though. To me Tubbs and Castillo carry the whole "psycho Tubbs" charade too far, and it backfires...pretty much everyone ends up dead, and everything ends up having no point or purpose. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 4/21/2023 at 7:56 AM, ViceFanMan said:

Believe it or not, some have sadly committed suicide this way...I think it is to shoot in the heart, ensuring that they will die. This whole episode is a little "off" to me anyway, though. To me Tubbs and Castillo carry the whole "psycho Tubbs" charade too far, and it backfires...pretty much everyone ends up dead, and everything ends up having no point or purpose. :rolleyes:

Like in every episode of season 3 :)

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Like in every episode of season 3 :)

Well…not every episode of 3, but towards the end you started to notice it. Definitely more in Seasons 4-5. ;)

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 1:30 PM, ViceFanMan said:

Well…not every episode of 3, but towards the end you started to notice it. Definitely more in Seasons 4-5. ;)

At the early part of season 3.

:Irish Eyes - Carroon : Stones War - Ira : Killshot - Tico :Walk Alone - Laura :The Good Collar - Archie  :El Viejo - Pierson and then :Down for the Count1&2 - Larry and Moon :Red Tape - Bobby & Eddie. That was enough for me. It's a good season but very depressing. 

With "Red Tape" after watching it again certain aspects of the story bugged me, if Tubbs was secretly working with his team why did Tubbs act like Stan didn't know and why was he sneaking in OCB at night lifting files? wouldn't Castillo give him them anyway.

Another thing what do the drug dealers get out of rigging buildings? killing cops in the process. Surely the inside info/tip off is to move the drugs somewhere else at another location instead of creating more heat on them by blowing away cops.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

At the early part of season 3.

:Irish Eyes - Carroon : Stones War - Ira : Killshot - Tico :Walk Alone - Laura :The Good Collar - Archie  :El Viejo - Pierson and then :Down for the Count1&2 - Larry and Moon :Red Tape - Bobby & Eddie. That was enough for me. It's a good season but very depressing. 

With "Red Tape" after watching it again certain aspects of the story bugged me, if Tubbs was secretly working with his team why did Tubbs act like Stan didn't know and why was he sneaking in OCB at night lifting files? wouldn't Castillo give him them anyway.

Another thing what do the drug dealers get out of rigging buildings? killing cops in the process. Surely the inside info/tip off is to move the drugs somewhere else at another location instead of creating more heat on them by blowing away cops.

True…Season 3 was a very “dark” & depressing season overall, although there were some good episodes. But, in my opinion “RedTape” was a weaker episode for the season. Despite it being depressing & pretty much everyone dies…there just didn’t really seem to be a point, or serve much of a purpose. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/12/2023 at 3:25 PM, johnnyfarragut said:

I just found Scott Plank died in a car accident in 2002 ;( .

Worked for Michael Mann in later projects . He was in Crime Story and L.A. Takedown (the TV pilot that served as a prototype for Heat).

His character was the thing I liked the most from this episode.

d1f51940a6efcf83097ccbcfd55de930b1ca6391d14090c6d29e9795e9f15309.thumb.jpg.51d9cd613604fde0679e97b0788e562b.jpg

RedTapeVickyMacIntyre.JPG.d474d21541a463df3ff85ad039086721.JPG

I'm so sorry to hear this. I loved him in this episode!

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Agreed. Love the episode and the music in this one. 

Always looked to me like Crockett was gonna back up the Testarossa into the drink in that scene after he hangs up the phone and takes off to the marina. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, timm525 said:

Always looked to me like Crockett was gonna back up the Testarossa into the drink in that scene after he hangs up the phone and takes off to the marina. 

Me too! LOL

Co

6 hours ago, timm525 said:

Considering how upset he was, I could see it!