Does anybody know why Season 3 has 24 episodes?

Guest neworder

Guest neworder

Does anybody know why Season 3 has 24 episodes?I mean season 1/2 were fine with 22, then season 4 has 22, 5 had 21. So why did they push the boat out with season 3 and make 2 whole extra episodes? Also looking at the start and end dates for filming in the glossary section they didnt have extra time at all to film an extra two eps, they started filming in July and ended in March, the same for season 2 and 4. SJB

• Administrators

I thought it was said somewhere that "Irish Eyes" was supposed to be a two hour ep. like season's 1 & 2 openers were but it was scratched due to cost of going over to Ireland. I believe but don't quote me on this.

NBC simply ordered more episodes in season 3. Originally they planned to produce a two hour opening episode with the plot set in Ireland, but DJ had no time for shooting abroad due to recording work on his Heartbeat album in summer 1986 (which was by the way recorded in Criteria Studios in North Miami - he drove back and forth during summer between MV locations and music studio). Thus, they shrinked the 2-hour ep to one hour and ordered 24 one hour eps instead (together with the 2-hour ep they would have shot 22 normal eps according to the season budget which is measured in total airing hours).