Cell phone Pilot Ep

Paul

correct! :) this thread has totally turned into "car phone trivia". awesome!clue:who purchases a car phone from the galleria?character and ep.and for 50 pts' date=' what was the make and model of the car?[/quote']Was this Phil in Phil the Shill?

I'd say the director obviously used the pay phone for dramatic effect. To make the scene believable' date=' maybe Sonny just wanted a little privacy. Don't forget, at this point he knew Rico for what, a few days at best?[/quote']Unfortunately, I got to this thread a little too late. Before I wrote, I read all the posts, and yes, sure enough, my answer was already taken.I was going to write that I think he wanted a private moment with his wife. His former partner whom he trusted was on the take, Tubbs was not originally who he said he was. He just wanted to make sure things were in perspective and that at least one part of his life was for real. He wanted a private phone call with his wife, absolutely.Also, he had a car phone in HEART OF DARKNESS the first real regular episode, but oddly enough, he had a cb radio in ONE EYED JACK. ????

Most likely not a CB, but a standard police radio of the time. We used to hide them in the glove box like it appears in the episode.Anybody familiar with this brand of phone?

post-109-13892962893705_thumb.jpg

Most likely not a CB' date=' but a standard police radio of the time. We used to hide them in the glove box like it appears in the episode.Anybody familiar with this brand of phone?[/quote']Good point. It only looks like a CB radio on screen, but alas, it's not a citizens band radio obviously.

Hey Guys thanks for all your imput on this one. JN's thoughts on Crockett wanting a bit of privavcy makes sense:):)

Seems clear as day to me!

• Administrators
Also' date=' he had a car phone in HEART OF DARKNESS the first real regular episode, but oddly enough, he had a cb radio in ONE EYED JACK. ????[/quote']Maybe he had both? Police radio for police work and his car phone for anything else. You can also see Crockett calling Tubbs from the Daytona in "Rites Of Passage" to tell him that Val's Sister was dead.

• Administrators

Why does he use a the public phone when he has a cell phone in his car.

Paul, this is a typical male question ... :D:dance2:(Just kidding, Paul!)I share COOP's opinion: He used the cell phone because he wanted to talk with Caroline alone. He would never have talked like this to Caroline with Rico by his side. Yet in the pilot they were not really friends.

Well friends...here they are. I went digging in my storage lockup and located a few goodies from the old days. I could not find the Motorola "Brick" but I did manage to find a Nokia model instead. you will get the idea that they were HUGE and weighed a ton too!I also have a bag phone and believe it or not, it still works!!!The last picture is of my phone out of my Lincoln and yes.....it does have the Lincoln "logo" on it.Have fun with the pics. I can remember these phones like they were yesterday. Ok kiddies.....Fire away any questions you may have.By the way....Any Canadians watch "Corner Gas"? There is a hilarious episode about cellphones in season two.

post-35-13892962893907_thumb.jpg

post-35-13892962894093_thumb.jpg

post-35-13892962894271_thumb.jpg

post-35-13892962894448_thumb.jpg

post-35-13892962894581_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Oops...here is my phone out of my Lincoln.The two buttons on the side are the volume controls. The DTMF pad lights up cool in the night as does the display.Kinda disco...if you know what I mean :)All junk now. No more analogue signals..................................................

post-35-13892962894712_thumb.jpg

post-35-13892962894894_thumb.jpg

post-35-13892962895068_thumb.jpg

Oops...here is my phone out of my Lincoln.The two buttons on the side are the volume controls. The DTMF pad lights up cool in the night as does the display.Kinda disco...if you know what I mean :)All junk now. No more analogue signals..................................................

Just like my 1st car phone I had in about 90-91. best phone I ever had in relation to clarity and reception.( mind you might have something to do with back in those days in Sydney the airwaves weren't that congested with cell phones)Gee I'd forgotten how big those mothers were:):)Great pix..!

I agree with those who think Crockett wanted some privacy. He and Tubbs were not friends yet, so he might have wanted to talk to Caroline without Rico hearing it. That's it.

• Administrators

Either that or else he was wayyyyy over his minutes!:)My first cell phone plan was for 30 minutes a month!

Either that or else he was wayyyyy over his minutes!:)My first cell phone plan was for 30 minutes a month!

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!My first plan was for three dollars per minute!!! Yikes!Hear that kiddies........................$3.00 per MINUTE!Needless to say I was short and to the point with my conversations.Don't even get me started on these kids these days with their cells at the movie theatres...................................................

• 2 weeks later...

yeah try folding that nokia brick and putting it in your pocket ha ha ha ha hanice pics stinger boy that brings back some memories

He had to have a phone in his car in the pilot because, remember, he calls his superior that he found the "leak" from his car outside Scotty's house.

Well friends...here they are. I went digging in my storage lockup and located a few goodies from the old days. I could not find the Motorola "Brick" but I did manage to find a Nokia model instead. you will get the idea that they were HUGE and weighed a ton too!I also have a bag phone and believe it or not' date=' it still works!!!The last picture is of my phone out of my Lincoln and yes.....it does have the Lincoln "logo" on it.Have fun with the pics. I can remember these phones like they were yesterday. Ok kiddies.....Fire away any questions you may have.By the way....Any Canadians watch "Corner Gas"? There is a hilarious episode about cellphones in season two.[/quote']I still have all my Motorola cell phones going back to the brick phone days because I worked for the Motorola Cellular group during the 80's and 90's. I can dig them up if any are interested but I recall carrying around the brick phone and it didn't fit in any pocket of my coats.

Yeah I'm pretty certain there was one in the Daytona. I remember thinking at the time that in 83/84 that must have been considered pretty hi tech in it's day .

I worked for Motorola in that time frame and don't think an installed (cellphone) carphone prototype was yet available because the first Dynatac (handheld brickphone) was just introduced in 1983. So maybe the producers just used some creative license.

There is definitly a shot of Tubbs using a cell phone (old bag phone type handset) to call for backup/support and then getting frustrated and hanging up in the Pilot Episode. This is after Calderone is bailed out and on the way to Chalk Airlines.It could have been one of the VHF Radio Phones, but it sure looks like a cell phone. It doesn't appear to be a Motorola. Later in the series their is a credit given to Mitsubishi, but I am not familiar with this brand. I am attaching a photo of Tubbs using the phone from Cool Running in Season One. The second one if of Crockett from the Maze.

post-109-13892962895573_thumb.jpg

post-109-13892962895754_thumb.jpg

There is definitly a shot of Tubbs using a cell phone (old bag phone type handset) to call for backup/support and then getting frustrated and hanging up in the Pilot Episode. This is after Calderone is bailed out and on the way to Chalk Airlines.It could have been one of the VHF Radio Phones' date=' but it sure looks like a cell phone. It doesn't appear to be a Motorola. Later in the series their is a credit given to Mitsubishi, but I am not familiar with this brand. I am attaching a photo of Tubbs using the phone from Cool Running in Season One. The second one if of Crockett from the Maze.[/quote']Great examples from someone who was a real cop! :clap:(I love your car.;))

There is definitly a shot of Tubbs using a cell phone (old bag phone type handset) to call for backup/support and then getting frustrated and hanging up in the Pilot Episode. This is after Calderone is bailed out and on the way to Chalk Airlines.It could have been one of the VHF Radio Phones' date=' but it sure looks like a cell phone. It doesn't appear to be a Motorola. Later in the series their is a credit given to Mitsubishi, but I am not familiar with this brand. I am attaching a photo of Tubbs using the phone from Cool Running in Season One. The second one if of Crockett from the Maze.[/quote']You know this does look a lot like the original handsets used for both bagphones and the installed carphones, so maybe I'm wrong on the timing or they could be some other manaufacturer. Nice pics jurassic narc, and didn't realize you were in law enforcement. Remember how pricey the first cellphones were?Cheers. :cheers:

I have one of those brick cell phones' date=' can they still be activated?[/quote']NO...Those old cells were strickly "Analogue" signals and they are now defunkt in north America. Everything has been replaced with digital.the old phones used to use technologies such as "CDMA and TDMA and now most are changing over to GSM because that is what they use in Europe and Africa. That way you can use your phone here and also when you travel.(if you are a jet-setter?)All those phones are now are conversation pieces (I kill myself hahahahahaha!)Relics for the museum...................

NO...Those old cells were strickly "Analogue" signals and they are now defunkt in north America. Everything has been replaced with digital.the old phones used to use technologies such as "CDMA and TDMA and now most are changing over to GSM because that is what they use in Europe and Africa. That way you can use your phone here and also when you travel.(if you are a jet-setter?)All those phones are now are conversation pieces (I kill myself hahahahahaha!)Relics for the museum...................

... or Miami Vice collection!