Now that I'm here...

DanJ

...along with almost everyone else from "over there," I've got a comment/request for The Administration:Part of the reason I did not become more fully active here a while back when this board was first announced is that the layout takes getting used to. Of particular note is that, on my screen, the pages run off the right edge. I do not have a wide screen PC monitor and don't intend to ever have one. Long posts whose text runs off on the right are hard to follow this way. Am I the only one experiencing this? Is there a way to set the site so that dinosaurs such as I can view this forum without having to use the left-right scroll buttons?

• Administrators

In the bottom right corner of your screen there should be a little magnifying glass icon where it says 100%. Hit the dropdown box and change it to 75%

I have scrolled all the way down and to the right, but I don't see the magnifying glass you mention. Do I need to be on the home page, or maybe in my accounts settings?

Hey Dan, I think I see what Fman is talking about. The icon is actually part of your computer task bar, not part of the web site. In the lower right, right above your clock, should be a little magnifying glass with a plus sign inside it, and "100%" next to it. Hit the drop down box to the right of the 100% and select a smaller setting.

I found the little magnifying glass also but I had to up to the top menu bar and click on view/text size/smaller and then it appeared on the lower task bar. I have XP Home edition.

Just buy a new Acer or Sony flat screen. They are sooooooooooooooooo cheap now that they cost less than any regular monitor and take up less space on your desk. I hate lifting the old monitors too as they make great boat anchors :)

Thanks for the responses, gang, but nothing's working. I don't see magnifying glass icons anywhere. Resizing text using the View/Text Zoom menu of my browser only resizes the text, not the page, which still runs off the right edge.I tried a widescreen monitor last year but got rid of it because a program that I continue to use from way back in the Win95 days, a program which is essential to my computer work, does not respond to the wide screen. Instead of resizing itself, its image gets stretched like Silly Putty to fit the screen and this drives me nuts. What's more, I simply do not see the need for widescreen when sitting at the PC. BTW I am presently using a "normal" size Acer flatscreen.Seems to me that this site should have a way of configuring its screen dimensions to "normal" screens, for those of us who continue to use them.

• Administrators
Thanks for the responses' date=' gang, but nothing's working. I don't see magnifying glass icons anywhere. [/quote']Are you using Internet Explorer? Perhaps it's only on that browser.

I tend to stay away from Internet Explorer (IE), except for when I need to use Live Earth. I am presently using Netscape 7.1 and hope to continue using it even though all Netscape products have now been discontinued by AOL. I don't care for AOL's browsers, especially since they seem to be a hook to get ya to sign up for their services.Seamonkey, a browser that is remarkably like Netscape, is at present the best contender for a replacement to Netscape. It looks virtually identical to Netscape 7.1, complete with built-in email browsing (From version 8 forward, Netscape dropped the email applet - ugh!). For more info on this browser, try this link.I am evaluating Seamonkey for the moment, to decide whether or not to I should use it to replace Netscape 7.1. If anyone here knows more about Seamonkey, please chime in.As far as I can tell, switching browsers to anything other than Seamonkey would force me to use a separate email application. That does not sit well with me. I do not know how to get around Instant Messenger or Outlook, and have no desire to learn those. My i-net experience to this moment has been: One browser for everything. I would like to keep it that way.So, if sizing this site's screen to my monitor hinges on switching to a browser that can do so, it's not looking good right now. Although I do know a thing or two about computers, new software tends to throw me for a loop. Switching applications, or learning new ones, only happens when I have absolutely no other choice.That is why, even though I registered here several months ago, I tended to continue visiting .org - it remained more familiar to me in every way including its appearance on my monitor screen. With recent developments it has become inevitable that I should follow all my MV pals over here. Enough of that, though...Seems to me that the web site should have a way to adjust to any and all monitor types, preferrably automatically or via a forced adjustment either on the main page or in Account Settings, and such a utility should not be dependent on what browser is being used. Maybe such a utility does not exist on this site. If so may I suggest that it be added if possible?

Go to your desktop...Right click inside there (anywhere) and a pop-up window will appear. Curser down to "Properties"then over to a tab called "Settings"...Once inside "Settings" look at the bottom left and there will be a bar there with the screen size availabilities of your machine. It may be at 1024 x 768 which may be common, or possibly 800 x 600???Play around with this setting and it will allow you to change the size of the screen shot that you see. The only drawback is that the text gets smaller and you may need glasses to see the writing ?I hope that helps?Flat screens are cheap as I said.........................................................