Law & Order: UK

sredd

10 Downey StreetChung Chung!I can stand Law and Order....sometimes. The original is probably the best, followed by CI and then SVU. Can't really stand SVU - too many detectives (it feels like 6 at once), so it spreads the focus too thinly. At least in CI, they switch between the two teams, and the teams consist of two detectives only with the chief in the background. Much better.I think the one thing that gets to me is that the writers and producers developed the more minor characters kinda half-assed. This is what happened in one of the episodes of SVU - the detectives find the IP address of a suspect, and it happens to be from a bookstore. So the Latino (?) detective pipes up and says he knows that bookstore and goes to it all the time. So when the detectives arrive there, the bookstore owner greets the Latino detective and suggests a new book for him. The Latino detective simply says, 'not now, we're on a murder case', and does so without even a hint that he actually knows the owner, has talked with him, and is supposedly friends or at least cordial with him. I mean, really? You claimed you went to the store all the time. Yet you don't even have the common courtesy to greet the storeowner as a friend or make some friendly small talk? Are you even a real person? No real, normal person I know of would act that way to a friend. I know the producers want to create the sense that these are NYC detectives first and foremost - everything else is secondary. Which is, IMO, the downfall of the series. I don't necessarily want to know everything about the character, but I do want to know that they're not 2-dimensional people who do nothing but dedicate their time to the NYPD or to sleeping and eating only. Only occasionally do we get a glimpse of the character's other life, like Detective Logan's obsession with his female neighbor, who gets killed later by her jealous ex-husband. These glimpses happen too rarely, if at all, IMO.