Renting Flats

CrockettandTubbs

I've had to come back to ask for more advice because you're definitely some of the wisest people I have ever come across besides mes parents, and they've already said their thoughts on this subject! (My headaches...I'm going to an optician soon to see if my eyes need testing! Thank you for all your support, I hope that glasses might save the headaches!)Basically...I'm looking for advice about renting my first flat (I live in the UK). I really want to live alone, and would work in the same city as I rented (I'm "in between" jobs at the moment!) What sort of things do I need to consider? Obviously how much per month, but is there anything else? Besides rent and amenities and food, what other expenses are there? I'm looking at an income of around £980 per month.GRRRR I'm rubbish at these things. Although, I'm not sure how I am supposed to be good at them, considering I am eighteen and...am rather young in the ways of the world :(So, any advice would be great. What did you do when you first moved away from home? What was it like?As last time, I will listen to what everyone says, and anything you do say really does help! It's nice to talk with others (especially about this, my friends are all at university so don't have the same issues as I do!)C&T

I'm not sure how it's done in the UK, but in the U.S. it's a good idea to get Renter's Insurance. Here, in the U.S. it's very easy, and VERY cheap to get. It will cover you if someone breaks in and steals your stuff, or if there is a fire. It's important to get it, and it's cheap. Check with your insurance company.

In Germany, one, in any case, needs a household contents insurance and a personal liability insurance. What about furniture and all the stuff you need, like plates, potts, cups, glasses, and so. It´s amazing how much money one has tospend to buy all these things.

If you get a sliding glass door with your flat, I'd get a lock for it that is specially made so that a thief can't lift the door off the rails (a very common way for a thief to get in).

I'm trying to look for one that doesn't have a lot of glass either...you know...just in case...I'm worried about the expense of it, like Christine said though :( Everything is so expensive these days!Rent, food, internet, TV, electricity, water, council tax, transport, clothes, essentials...I could go on....and insurance here is a little expensive too.... *wails* Maybe I ought to get a boat!!!

:)I don´t think that a boat would be less expensive. Maybe, there would be no need to buy any furniture because it´s installed on the boat, but I´m sure you´ll like your flat more if it´s furnitured in your style.

I also don't really like water that much, so...maybe a boat is not such a good idea!!Is it sad I have already thought about furniture and a floor plan? But honestly, I only really need food, a bed and my laptop! But I must have internet...otherwise how could I keep in contact with all you lovely people!!!I'm starting to get excited! Maybe I can convince my parents to take me to Winchester so we can look at some flats?!? Just need a lottery win...... :D

Everything is expensive these days. Whatever you think it might cost to live in a flat, it will always be more than you think. Don't forget that there is deposit on the flat (at least in the U.S. for apartments) that they hold in case you damage something there, (might be called a security deposit) so you'd have to pay that amount as well. Some places, you also have to put down first, and last months rent too. That's a lot of money up front right there.Phone hookup for the phone and or computer will cost something, heat or air will add up, electricity to light the flat, sewage, and garbage removeal will be billed to you. Food will take some money. taxes, ...it all adds up. :cry:Make sure you have much more than a few dollars to spare at the end of the month, or you will find that normal expenses will take it all.

I worked it out, money wise...and I won't have any left over to spend on my usual spending habits, which at the moment include countless DJ and PMT posters for my wall.See, it's all priorities. Have my own flat, or have that rather gorgeous image of the boys on my wall. It's a no brainer :)*growls exasperatedly* Money, money, money. I think I am just destined to be in debt!And timm525, I was thinking maybe an alligator would have more impact. Yeah, considering, I don't know how use a gun. But I do know how to file an alligator's nails.... *winks*

I worked it out' date=' money wise...and I won't have any left over to spend on my usual spending habits, which at the moment include countless DJ and PMT posters for my wall.See, it's all priorities. Have my own flat, or have that rather gorgeous image of the boys on my wall. It's a no brainer :)*growls exasperatedly* Money, money, money. I think I am just destined to be in debt!And timm525, I was thinking maybe an alligator would have more impact. Yeah, considering, I don't know how use a gun. But I do know how to file an alligator's nails.... *winks*[/quote']Perhaps staying put is the right choice for now. You gotta get DJ items! Keep your current lifestyle.The Alligator would be a great choice! I always wanted to try to find a fake, real looking, full size alligator for my home....with it's own pink blanket of course. ;)

I have a green alligator somewhere...but can I find it to show you? No' date=' is the answer. Hmmm.[/quote']I want a realistic, life size one.

It is life size. In fact...it's ginormous.If compared to my Lego Sonny and Rico! :DSorry. That was bad. It's not even late here!!!

COOPER&BURNETT Don't forget that there is deposit on the flat (at least in the U.S. for apartments) that they hold in case you damage something there, (might be called a security deposit) so you'd have to pay that amount as well.

In germany, one has also to pay a deposit, normally it´s about two rents. But some landlords allow you to pay the deposit in three pieces if you´re unable to pay it all at once.But Coop is right, C&T, each month you should put a little amout of money aside to pay the bills that will flutter into your apartment at the end of the year.