Phil Collins Retires ...

Pink Flaming0

Considering Phil Collins has been edging toward the door since his 2003 “First Final Farewell Tourâ€â€”and arguably, since 1982’s Hello, I Must Be Going—it’s likely not a huge surprise to hear that erstwhile Genesis drummer/frontman and purveyor of some of the early-’80s' finest soundtracks to shallow yuppie self-reflection has called it quits. Collins announced his decision in an interview with FHM Magazine , in which he rattles off a list of medical maladies like hearing problems, a dislocated vertebra, and nerve damage in his hands that’s made it all but impossible for him to ever play the drums again.More Here: Suh suh sudio

On his latest album, they had to tape or tie the drumsticks to his hands, as he couldn't grasp them. He has said that the Phil Collins you once knew is no longer.He has contimplated suicide. He said if he does, he won't shoot himself, but rather O.D. on medicine.This is my favorite singer. I'm so sorry this has happened to him.I love his songs and personality.God Bless you Phil. I'm a true fan.

He will be missed as a musician and signer but not forgotten for all the talent he has shared with us over the years. He even did great as an actor. Phil the Shill, I salute you!!

• Administrators

Well, can he still sing? Somebody else can play the drums.

Rolling Stone article, 4 page interview from his home in SwitzerlandPhil is no ShillSeems being a nice guy in this world is the wrong thing to be... I'm surprised that fans, friends and fellow musicians haven't been more out spoken in support of Phil's accomplishments.

Well' date=' can he still sing? Somebody else can play the drums.[/quote']While this is true, he states that he has no further interest in any projects, or writing any songs. After seeing the last MTV AWARDS, he said he really is not interested anymore (Can't blame him there. Most music today is crap).Sadly, he states nobody will miss him. :cry:

Although he has these illnesses, he shouldn't despair....he should compose & sing as Ferrariman said, on his feel - good days. His many fans will still enjoy what he is able to accomplish.

Although he has these illnesses' date=' he shouldn't despair....he should compose & sing as Ferrariman said, on his feel - good days. His many fans will still enjoy what he is able to accomplish.[/quote']I wish he would. He is bummed because the critics still seem to blast his songs. I don't get it myself. His very, very weathy, has Grammys, tons of awards, best selling albums, and movie deals with his original songs and performances for the royal family in the Prince's trust, and sells out stadiums all the time. (I've paid to see him in concert with Genesis)He still feels (in recient interviews I've read) that he just doesn't get the aclaim from music critics, music today just doesn't fit his style, and it hurts him deeply. His physical problems are the final nail in the coffin. He's been divorced many times, is alone, can't perform (Can't drum or write songs with no use of his hands (He has problems even wipping himself).He no longer has the will to do anything, and is thinking of possible suicide. He is very depressed...life is no longer good for Phil. He can sing, (he's had to take steroids for voice problems) but he does't feel like it anymore. He doesn't need money, and sees no point to doing it anymore.

I heard and recent interview with him on "Q" on CBC Radio where he talked about his decision. He was talking about his latest album and how he had to tape the drumsticks to his hands to be able to play.So sad....I have seen him live six times back in the eighties and I will always have fond memories of his music. It's amazing how he turned all his pain from his divorse into such classic music of our time. he channeled all that energy into his music and created some great love songs.His new stuff is happy Motown stuff and is still good cuz it's PHIL!At least he is able to kick up his feet and relax now.

Depressions are a very hard desease outsiders barely can understand. If one has been such a successful musician like Phil Collins and suddenly he can do nothing he´d done before, it´s very hard to cope with a situation like this. But in one thing he´s definitely wrong: Nobody will ever forget Phil Collins and his great music!I wish him all the best!

I also liked Collin's music, he is a musical genius and can do it all (IMO). I think the critics had a hard time acknowledging this because when he started fronting Genesis, he took them in a different direction and made lots of money...

Phil Collins the greatestI heard about that and its to bad.I started liking Phil Collins when I heard in the air tonight in the pilot episode of Miami Vice and other songs I heard from him on the show.Its too bad hes in so much pain also.I will never get sick and tired of hearing his music and listen to it often on my computer and iphone

I'm really sad to hear that he has formally retired, although as its been pointed out, he's been edging toward the door for sometime.I read with extreme sadness his article in Rollin Stone last year where he seemed very depressed and feeling unappreciated, but he recently took to his website to issue some clarifications about the retirement situation:http://www.philcollins.co.uk/us/news/breaking-news-message-philI still can't figure out how Phil turned into a joke, or a symbol of all that's wrong in music. Here's an actual musician who writes and performs actual songs getting bashed in the era where Kim Kardashian can be a "singer"??? Makes no frigging sense at all. And I've always said, in terms of being a pop music supernova, the run he was one in 84-85 was surpassed only by the dominating year Michael Jackson had in 1983.