8.9 QUAKE HITS JAPAN!

COOPER&BURNETT

A MASSIVE 8.9 earthquake has hit Japan. A TSUNAMI has hit Japan, and a tsunami warning is out for Hawaii, and a wave may hit there at 4:59 a.m this morning. California and Oregon have warnings as well.Russia, Japan, and Guam also has a a tsunami warning.This is real, REAL bad. This is a heavily populated country. This 8.9 is roughly 100 times more powerful than the one that reciently hit Haiti!! That is HUGE!!! In fact, one of the aftershocks was stronger than the one that hit Haiti.Hundreds, if not thousands may be dead.The tsunami footage was incredible. Never seen footage like it before from arial shots from helicopters. The massive wave took houses, buildings, cars, ....anything in it's path was destroyed.About 3 million are without power. Trillions of dollars in damage is obvious.Bullet trains have been shut down, cell phones aren't working, and the same with some computers.Tokyo has some damage, but not as much as costal towns which have been wiped out.It's been called the World's 5th most powerful earthquake since the early 1900's.This is horrible.This one is bad people.

Warning sirens are blaring in Hawaii right now. They seem to expect a tsunami.If it does, I hope it's not bad.

Watching it on the news right now.. Terrible.

Yeah, me too.This is unreal.The beaches in Hawaii are being evacuated.I hope no other countries suffer from the tsunami.

This is really shocking; it's humbling to think that Japan, which is one of the countries with the best preparation for natural disasters such as this due to its location and general country make up, has been brought crashing to its knees by such a quake. We should be thankful I suppose that they are so well prepared, otherwise the damage could have been even greater than it already is :(My greatest worry is the resulting tsunami, and how it will affect the small island states in the Pacific; when I was studying geography last year, we did look at the SIDS around New Zealand and Australia...they won't even stand a chance of coping with this.Whatever we do to this planet, Nature always strikes back. Always.

It´s absolutely horrible. I feel so sorry for all the people there. While helping a resident in the nursing home with having his lunch, the radio was playing. the host told that a power station was burning, but that the others were switched off. Apparently, no radioactivity escaped.Actually, he wanted to speak with their reporter in Japan, but he couldn´t. The reporter only told him that there was a tsunami warning right now and that he had to leave.

Japan has the most advanced buildings, and infastructers to guard against earthquakes, as they get them often. Saddly, there isn't much to be done to stop tsunamis.

I'm watching the latest news on the Internet and they say they have found dead people on the beach near Sendai, and a coastal train en route to Sendai has disappeared after the tsunami hit the coast.It's really shocking.

That's horrible Pandina.The California coast is getting minor damage in harbors right now. Boats are sinking in harbors. The waves are not huge right now, but enough to rip docked boats loose, run into other boats, and some are sinking. Thankfully, nothing serious at this point here.They say wave surges can come and go throughout the day.

In Northern California the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake seemed huge, but not compared to what happened in Japan. They are calling the Japan earthquake 900 times worse than Loma Prieta. Some of the Pacific Coast towns have been evacuated, and so far, not much damage. I am so sorry for Japan :cry:

One of my closest cousins (from my mother's side) just went there to study, plus I have a lot of my extended family living there (from my father's side). We all were so relieved to hear that they all are alright. Cities such as Osaka and Tokyo are in chaos, they've shut down all public transport, people are gathering on the streets, just plain confusion... My cousin had to walk a six hour long walk to her apartment from her school. I'm so thankful that no one close to me and my family got hurt, but I feel so selfish thinking these thoughts as so many people have lost their families and lives there. I just hope the worst is over...

There's been an explosion in one of the reactors of the Fukushima nuclear power plant. I hope the situation doesn't escalate... Japan has had it's share of nuclear explosions already.

There's been an explosion in one of the reactors of the Fukushima nuclear power plant. I hope the situation doesn't escalate... Japan has had it's share of nuclear explosions already.

A nuclear meltdown. Jeeze...all Japan needs is their own Chernobyl disaster.

Every time, I watch a report about it in tv, I´m startled to see the immense power of the water. To search for survivors in this mess must drive the poeple there to desperation, I think. Where should they start with their search? And additional to that they´re all afraid because nobody knows whether the reactor will explode. We all can only pray for the poor Japanese.

Now a volcano in southern Japan (known as the James Bond Volcano since it appeared in several 007 movies) has erupted. These people can't catch a break.

Now a volcano in southern Japan (known as the James Bond Volcano since it appeared in several 007 movies) has erupted. These people can't catch a break.

Are you serious??? :eek:Is this true?Good Lord.... :rolleyes: