Sonny Crockett & Black Jack

widereceiver 88

The Black Jack that Sonny is drinking in certain episodes, is it the normal Jack Daniels that we all know, or is there a different kind?I did see that on certain occasions when he's on the boat that he is having Jack Daniels.Later

• Administrators

Jack Daniels Whiskey comes in either green label or black label.I am not a drinker so someone please correct me if i'm wrong but I believe a "Black Jack" refers to Jack Daniels Black Label Tennesse Whiskey.

I realized that "black jack" also in certain episodes!My explanation for it was (and is) that it had to be obvious that Sonny was drinking JD but without making any advertising for the brand.

Great link THX man!:thumbsup:And luckily...my thought was right...:)

You're welcome and good thinking. ;) This was a discussion topic over a year ago I think in a thread I can't find. Black Jack or Jack Black he says I think and originally I thought was a special blend. But the advertising angle makes more sense.

Jack Daniels Whiskey comes in either green label or black label.I am not a drinker so someone please correct me if i'm wrong but I believe a "Black Jack" refers to Jack Daniels Black Label Tennesse Whiskey.

I also believe this is true. I've noticed that the front of the label is not shown on the show, just the back or sides of the bottle as to not advertise the brand.

I can't help wondering what the problem is with this "non-advertising"? I quite understand when you shoudn't use a certain song or other "intellectual property" without paying to the owner (though sometimes this goes to really crazy scale, IMO, but that's another story). And I know some companies pay for "hidden" advertising of their brands in movies. But who's going to sue you if you "advertise" someone for free? :D Seems quite illogical... I'm sure there must be some law concerning this, though... :confused: Maybe it's is done this way to make potential advertisers pay (instead of having it for free).. but sometimes it must be inconvenient for shooting process, having to hide the labels all the time, I think.

• Administrators

I always thought it was to prevent free advertising of a product unless they paid you to air it. :confused:I'm betting Lowenbrau paid handsomely in Florence Italy.A lot of the cooking shows always have the labels turned slightly so you can't read it but you can most of the time recognize the brand name by the colors and other labeling. Just like on the Jack Daniels bottle.

I always thought it was to prevent free advertising of a product unless they paid you to air it. :confused:I'm betting Lowenbrau paid handsomely in Florence Italy.A lot of the cooking shows always have the labels turned slightly so you can't read it but you can most of the time recognize the brand name by the colors and other labeling. Just like on the Jack Daniels bottle.

Yeah I bet Lowenbrau paid some serious bucks. Not to get off topic but I drank Lowenbrau back then as well, when it was brewed in Milwaukee. Very unusual taste as I recall. The foil leaf wrapper was unique. Sadly I believe it is no longer brewed in the US and is now under a German label.

Interesting thread, as I was wondering about "Black Jack" as well - I just assumed it was a nickname for Jack Daniels.Coincidentally, last night on National Geographic, they had an episode of a show called Megafactories & it was the Jack Daniels factory!! Very interesting to see how its made and all the processes involved. And yes, there is taste testing!

Good thing they didn't say it the other way around (jack black) or some actor might try to sue them. :D:clap:

• 8 years later...

I had heard that a Black Jack was a shot of Jack Daniels with a few drops of Kahlua for color and sweetness.  I drink it now and then, now a bad combo.

On 7/10/2019 at 6:15 PM, Jalon said:

I had heard that a Black Jack was a shot of Jack Daniels with a few drops of Kahlua for color and sweetness.  I drink it now and then, now a bad combo.

It wasn't that when the show was filmed. Who knows what sort of crap they've associated the term with now, though.

44 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

It wasn't that when the show was filmed. Who knows what sort of crap they've associated the term with now, though.

Yeah, I can't see Sonny getting that fancy.  Plain old black label Jack Daniels on the rocks or straight is how I see him drinking it.

Edited by vicegirl85

26 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

Yeah, I can't see Sonny getting that fancy.  Plain old black label Jack Daniels on the rocks or straight is how I see him drinking it.

I commented on this in another thread, but back then it was like asking for Johnny Walker Black as opposed to Red. There was a lower-proof Green label JD in more wide circulation at the time.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I’m resurrecting this thread from the dead! I am a big fan of Jack Daniel’s/Black Jack. I actually got into it because of Sonny! The first liquor I ever bought was a bottle of Jack Daniel’s and it was all because of Sonny! However, I prefer my Black Jack on the rocks! Sonny likes his “neat”, but I think it’s much better with some ice!

Frequently we see that fake Jack Daniel’s bottle which says “Kentucky Whiskey” instead of “Tennessee Whiskey”. However, when I was watching “The Afternoon Plane” lately, you see a bottle of Jack Daniel’s very clearly! What gives? LOL

FAEDCE2B-7B6D-405F-8237-2072EEF0310B.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Most likely licensing issues. Who knows?

Mr. Robbie Cann! Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that bar scene with Sonny and Robbie was the first time we hear Sonny order a “Black Jack”! In Season 1 he orders a bourbon at least two times.

1 hour ago, AndrewRemington said:

Mr. Robbie Cann! Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that bar scene with Sonny and Robbie was the first time we hear Sonny order a “Black Jack”! In Season 1 he orders a bourbon at least two times.

You may be correct. The draft script uses scotch, and I have a nagging recollection of him ordering black jack at least once int he first season. Been a bit since I chased that one down, I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Robbie C. said:

Most likely licensing issues. Who knows?

In the past, network shows wouldn’t display most commercial products to avoid the possibility of advertising conflict.  For example, if Miami Vice showed Sonny drinking a Coke in a scene, rival soft drink manufacturers wouldn’t want to pay for advertising on that show when they’re rival was getting free advertising.  Not showing those things left advertising options open.

There were exceptions of course,  typically cars.  They would be difficult to substitute anyway, plus car manufacturers realized if they provided cars for free, viewers would see their product every week.  Things have changed today.  Shows often have specific agreements for product placement.

• Administrators

Years ago I spent a lot of time doing screen shots for our glossary. Here is some info from our glossary.

• Like 2