Castillo - The Serious Man

widereceiver 88

I posted a thread a few months ago about Castillo's behaviour towards his peers. I watched some episodes again and the way that he stares at either Crockett or Tubbs sometimes is actually 'scary'.He will have those long 'unfriendly/i'm the boss' sort of stares.Just wondering if it was part of the script to have such a 'dominating kind of look' or was it part of the character.?Later

Let me pop off with purely a guess. I bet the direction to EJO was something along the lines of, Castillo's a hardass. He's had a secret life and seen a lot of things, but he doesn't let on about it. Then EJO took it from there.

• Like 1

I have read several times that Edward James Olmos had total control over his character so I'm guessing what we see on the show of Castillo is mostly what EJO wanted.

I agree Gary.I also read somewhere that EJO was addiment in the fact that his desk be totally cleared of all debris showing that he was a focused individual (one case file at a time) and of course the monotone stiff upper lip mentality was all the character which he developed as mysterious, serious and of course a "get the job done and by the book"kind of guy.As the show developed you could see his past haunt him and being a man of the world he did not like or trust big government but felt the need to be honest as the day is long. You could see this when he dealt with the feds. He was loyal to his officers and stood up for them at all costs to himself

• Like 1

I was watching the Miami Vice E! True Hollywood Story (in the downloads section) and as you guys have already mentioned, EJO was saying that he had a creative control agreement when it came to his character. That's where the clear desk, knocking on the door etc came in. And also he wanted the door to his office to be shut. DJ was not happy about all this & he left the set for over an hour, then he came back and they started rolling the cameras & when he knocked on the door, he banged on the door and opened it forcefully & the blinds were swinging all over the place! EJO was saying that it reflected what was going on in real life!About his character overall - I think he said it was all about understanding the character based on the storylines. So I guess that even though they have a script to follow, they still have to be able to have a bit of flexibility in how they interpret their characters & EJO had the most flexibility it seems. The soft tone and mumbling of his character - I have to admit that I struggle to hear what he is saying a lot of the time & I am constantly turning the volume up and down! But it is a unique characteristic of Castillo and I think it fits well into his overall persona. I also think that the stares were a significant part of his character, considering he is a man of modest words compared to the other characters.

• Like 1

Thx for the input there, Def.CrockettI normally have the subtitles on because a lot of times u can't hear what is saying - it does help.

• 7 years later...

A lot of what Castillo does is non verbal.  He doesn't like to have to explain himself and he'll stare at you and wait for you to get the point.  He also gets other characters to think and deduce without speaking.  I think a lot of times this is misinterpreted as intimidation when actually it's like a teacher waiting for you to figure out a math problem in your head.  He patiently waits for you to give the answer because he wants you to actually THINK.  How many times have characters come to a sudden realization after a moment of silence with Castillo?  He also plays the long game and gets a desired result even though it isn't immediate, unlike Sonny who wants to resolve things right away.  This part of Castillo is also often misinterpreted as him being callous or uncaring/unsupportive.  That's Tubbs' problem with him when they first meet in One Eyed Jack.  Another great scene is in Nobody Lives Forever with Crockett.  No amount of screaming and yelling would've gotten through to Crockett like that simple stare did.  Castillo is actually a much deeper character than people realize and he is the antithesis of the raging police chief which is great.

• Like 4

to be honest when i was a kid, i didn't like Castillo. i found him too taciturn, not to say ridiculous. but after being watching the series again and again, i started to really love the character. his coldness is coldbloodness. he has only one goal keep his detectives alive. even if it's at the cost of being a bit unpleasant. EJH is trully a great actor. we see all his actor's capabilities in the great Battlestar galactica series. Castillo is loyal, very professional, but he also have bad scars like his 'presumed' woman death. which makes him an attaching people

Edited by jpm1
  • Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 9/28/2018 at 12:16 PM, Bren10 said:

A lot of what Castillo does is non verbal.  He doesn't like to have to explain himself and he'll stare at you and wait for you to get the point.  He also gets other characters to think and deduce without speaking.  I think a lot of times this is misinterpreted as intimidation when actually it's like a teacher waiting for you to figure out a math problem in your head.  He patiently waits for you to give the answer because he wants you to actually THINK.  How many times have characters come to a sudden realization after a moment of silence with Castillo?  He also plays the long game and gets a desired result even though it isn't immediate, unlike Sonny who wants to resolve things right away.  This part of Castillo is also often misinterpreted as him being callous or uncaring/unsupportive.  That's Tubbs' problem with him when they first meet in One Eyed Jack.  Another great scene is in Nobody Lives Forever with Crockett.  No amount of screaming and yelling would've gotten through to Crockett like that simple stare did.  Castillo is actually a much deeper character than people realize and he is the antithesis of the raging police chief which is great.

This is very thoughtful, Bren. And it explains Castillo to a "T"! 

• Thanks 1

On my current rewatching of the series, I simply love Castillo. As I've gotten older I understand him a lot more and just think he truly is one of the shows greatest characters. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Detective_Crockett said:

On my current rewatching of the series, I simply love Castillo. As I've gotten older I understand him a lot more and just think he truly is one of the shows greatest characters. 

Great post - understated and deep - with a rich and mysterious past. 

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3