seatbelt usage

Guest myonlyvice

Guest myonlyvice

Can anybody think of any instances? The show had no problem jumping on the no-smoking bandwagon but seemed to spurn this societal trend which was definitely on the upswing in the 80s. If you think this topic is boring I probably would agree with you. I just feel like posting but don't know what to say. :rolleyes:

Guess it didn't look cool.:)Speaking of seat belts, on a sadder note:MIFFLIN COUNTY, PA (WHTM/CNN) – A teenager was killed on the same day she got her driver's license, when she lost control of the car."We've never had anyone that died eight hours after having their license issued to them," said Mifflin County Coroner Daniel Lynch.Authorities said Jordyn Graver, 17, picked up her license on Thursday morning and later that day, Graver was driving in a rural area. Investigators believe the high school junior was driving too fast when her car skidded off the road and hit an embankment.Lynch said Graver was not wearing her seatbelt and was thrown from the car.

Can anybody think of any instances? The show had no problem jumping on the no-smoking bandwagon but seemed to spurn this societal trend which was definitely on the upswing in the 80s. If you think this topic is boring I probably would agree with you. I just feel like posting but don't know what to say. :rolleyes:

Nothing comes to mind, but I'll think about it. I too have thought about this, especially since I never saw them snap themselves into the daytona.Nothing wrong with this topic.

Guest MetroVice

Don't need no stinking seat belts!Now that you mention it I've never noticed ANYONE on Vice wearing them. It's funny this subject came up because my family was just talking about how NOBODY wore seat belts when I was growing up in the 60's and 70's. It wasn't until the 80's I even started wearing them myself. Now I wouldn't ever consider backing out of the driveway without first buckling up.As for smoking, I can remember riding in my parents car in the 60's while they profusely puffed away. No seat belt, inhaling second-hand smoke, and it was "the norm" back then. Nobody thought twice about any of it.Funny how a matter of a few years can vastly change how we look at things - and our habits.

Nobody had worn seat belts in the 60s ad 70s because there weren´t any seat belts in the cars. Maybe, the makers of the show thought that it looked uncool if Tubbs and Crockett had gotten in the Daytona and Crockett would have said, "Fasten your seat belts first, Tubbs!":)In consider with smoking: I often see people smoking in their cars with the windows closed and their children on the back seat. Some things never change!:thumbsdown:

When did Florida pass a seatbelt law? Was it as early as 1984? Even in the UK it had only just been made compulsory to wear them and it was unusual to be stopped for not strapping in as late as the year 2000.

Nobody had worn seat belts in the 60s ad 70s because there weren´t any seat belts in the cars. Maybe' date=' the makers of the show thought that it looked uncool if Tubbs and Crockett had gotten in the Daytona and Crockett would have said, "Fasten your seat belts first, Tubbs!":)In consider with smoking: I often see people smoking in their cars with the windows closed and their children on the back seat. Some things never change!:thumbsdown:[/quote'] Some good points however slightly incorrect. Seat belts were offered in Fords as early as 1957 and by 1960 most cars had them. In 1966 they offered shoulder belts and by 1969 they had retractable shoulder and lap belts combined. It didn't become law in a lot of places until the late eighties. It took some time for laws to catch up to conventions...If you watch the old Batman series they always put on their lap belts when they got inot the Batmobile! That was 1966!As for smoking in cars it is illegal in Ontario now for the last few years to smoke in a vehicle with anyone who is a minor in the vehicle with you.Good points you brought up though and yes it took some time to become politically correct I guess?

• Administrators

Found this little item of info. Maine and Texas don't play! :eek:Says first law for Florida was July 1, 1986.Click ---> here

What the heck.. I just found out that they changed it from secondary to primary enforcement in 2009.I don’t get pulled over though.. so I guess nobody cares in Miami. Which is good because I HATE these belts.. make me feel claustrophobic and distract me big time..I wouldn’t buckle up if I would get ticketed every week. I also put more emphasis in active precautions instead of passive safety. Same thing with bikes and helmets.. they are only good for track days with speeds above 150mph.

What the heck.. I just found out that they changed it from secondary to primary enforcement in 2009.I don’t get pulled over though.. so I guess nobody cares in Miami. Which is good because I HATE these belts.. make me feel claustrophobic and distract me big time..I wouldn’t buckle up if I would get ticketed every week. I also put more emphasis in active precautions instead of passive safety. Same thing with bikes and helmets.. they are only good for track days with speeds above 150mph.

Probably changed to primary to give another reason to stop without probable cause...and of course to raise revenue.:)

Nothing comes to mind' date=' but I'll think about it. I too have thought about this, especially since I never saw them snap themselves into the daytona.Nothing wrong with this topic.[/quote']The Camera Daytona did not have standard lap belts (or shoulder harnesses for that matter). The car was fitted with the larger stunt lap belts (looks like old aviation belts to me) and still has them to this day. They were probably fitted when the extra brake pedal was added.I will try to remember to ask Carl Roberts if the stunt car had the same arrangement. But the scene from Hit List makes me think that even if it was they were not mandatory for use.JN

• Administrators
Nobody had worn seat belts in the 60s ad 70s because there weren´t any seat belts in the cars. Maybe' date=' the makers of the show thought that it looked uncool if Tubbs and Crockett had gotten in the Daytona and Crockett would have said, "Fasten your seat belts first, Tubbs!":)[/quote']Sorry Christine but seatbelts were offered as an option by Ford and a few other companies as far back as 1955 and the federal government made them mandatory in all passenger vehicles in 1968.Nobody on "Miami Vice" (or any other cop show to this day) wore them because as you said, it just didn't look cool! Notice lately how everyone on TV talks on their cell phones as they drive, even though it's becoming illegal in more states everyday? Whether it's seatbelts, smoking or cell phones for some reason TV just doesn't reflect the current times when it comes to safety.

• Administrators

I never wore my seatbelts either until I joined the Fire Department back in 1981. Once I began going to accident scenes and cutting the mangled people out of their vehicles I began wearing mine and never stopped.I've seen plenty of dead people in car crashes. Many of which could've been saved by a seatbelt and they were doing way less than 150 MPH. Felling a bit claustrophobic beats the hell out of going through the windshield anyday.You can be as careful as you want Don, but you can't control the other drivers on the road.

I never wore my seatbelts either until I joined the Fire Department back in 1981. Once I began going to accident scenes and cutting the mangled people out of their vehicles I began wearing mine and never stopped.I've seen plenty of dead people in car crashes. Many of which could've been saved by a seatbelt and they were doing way less that 150 MPH. Felling a bit claustrophobic beats the hell out of going through the windshield anyday.You can be as careful as you want Don' date=' but you can't control the other drivers on the road.[/quote']I remember in 1984 or 1985, when I was in High School, they let us go outside to our cars to eat lunch. We used to jam 4 or five of my buds into one of our cars, eat lunch, joke around, and listen to the radio. I remember one time I called shotgun, and got into the passenger seat. I started eating my lunch with Huey Lewis on the radio. My pals started laughing at me. I had no idea why, until one of my friends pointed out that I was wearing my seatbelt, even though we were not going anywhere.I was so used to wearing one, that it was purely by habit that I put it on without thinking about it.I'm not sure when I started wearing one, but it was most likely sometime in the 70's. I always felt more comfortable feeling snug in a car seat. Perhaps it's just me. Try driving in L.A. traffic, .....that is real scary.Anyway, I'm rather proud that I have that habit. There are worse habits to have. :)

DonSame thing with bikes and helmets.. they are only good for track days with speeds above 150mph.

I absolutely have to contradict, Don. In 1997, I had a very bad accident where an 8 year old boy with his bike was involved. I wasn´t to blame because I had the right way, but I was glad that I drove very slowly because when I saw the boy coming along the steep street around a curve I was able to brake. So, he didn´t crash into a driving, but into a standing car. Even though, the boy had worn a helmet, he needed to be taken to hospital by helicopter, but there the doctors had told the parents that their son would have been dead without the helmet.I think that helmets and seat belts are very important to safe people´s lives.

I was so used to wearing one' date=' that it was purely by habit that I put it on without thinking about it.Anyway, I'm rather proud that I have that habit. There are worse habits to have. :)[/quote'] I know what you mean Coop. When I was in highschool I had a 67 Mustang and all it had were lap belts. There was no law or anything telling us to buckle up but I did all the time. I was also a pilot and flew since I was 14 and was licenced at 17. You NEVER got in a small plane without buckling up or you would end up on the ceiling during flight when you hit an air pocket. It was just habit and that habit transfered to the car as well. I remember I took a lot of flack from my friends as being somewhat geeky. Who's the geek now?

Saw the aftermath of an accident years ago on the German Autobahn. I was travelling between 120 and 145mph and was being passed by cars doing well in excess of those speeds. Came up on the accident and the only thing I could recognize amid the smoke and twisted metal were 4 tires. Belt or no belt they were toast. But I wear mine at all times and don't get up to those speeds here. The Daytona I have just has standard lap belts.