Movies of Summer 2009

Richie Rich

It's not too early to take a look at the movies of next summer - the Movies of Summer 2009:http://www.movie-moron.com/?p=906Page forward to July to see what could be Michael Mann's comeback from the summer 2006 MV movie fiasco (3 years waiting). "Public Enemies" is shown for a release date of 07/01/2009, with Mann as director. Seems to be a lot of good buzz about this movie, and I'm sure that Mann hopes to regain some stature with a big summer movie success.Other MV players are Helena Bonham Carter in "Terminator Salvation", and again in "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince". John Turturro (MV episode "Rites of Passage") shows up in "The Taking of Pelham 123", which also has Luis Guzman (MV episodes "Free Verse" and "Prodigal Son"). The lowlight of the summer is "The Hannah Montana Movie", which is the equivalent of Hollywood pointing at us and saying; "we bet you're stupid enough to buy a ticket to see this". No I'm not :p .

I think that this will be the film that finally gives mann an Oscar. Mann seems to do very well with "based on true stories" when it comes to conspiracy/crime.

The lowlight of the summer is "The Hannah Montana Movie"' date=' which is the equivalent of Hollywood pointing at us and saying; "we bet you're stupid enough to buy a ticket to see this". [/quote']Well they have been doing this every single week for a good 15 years. :) And yet i'm still amazed by the number of people who go and see movies i wouldn't want to watch even on a plane trip. How far can Hollywood (as well as other studios in other countries) go, that is the question.

How far can Hollywood (as well as other studios in other countries) go" data-date=" that is the question. [/COLOR">
They will dig as deep into the pockets of American teenagers as they can go (meaning until the pockets are empty). College? Guess you should have thought of that a few years ago, instead of blowing $ on Hannah Montana stuff.

• 4 months later...

So, I guess the Summer Movie Season has already officially started, with the HM Movie and F & F already released.Here's what I intend to see: :done: 1) Public Enemies Because it's Michael Mann and the buzz is good. :done: 2) Terminator Salvation - prob just since I've seen the previous T1, T2, T3 etc. And that's about it for now. I've just kind of lost interest in the whole movie theater experience.

T: Salvation is about the only one who I'm just about assured of seeing. However, Public Enemies might make it to my list *not an big moviegoer either*, and maybe Avatar too.I'm just lying in wait until the next 007 comes out, likely November 2010, that'll be a day for the ages... :D

I'm just lying in wait until the next 007 comes out, likely November 2010, that'll be a day for the ages... :DAmen, Mr. Burnett! I read somewhere it may be 2010 or 2011.

• 1 month later...

It looks like Mann and crew have mastered low light digital photography with "Collateral" and "Miami Vice 2006." The night shootout scene is supposed to be spectacular. He will have to top the shipyard shootout from "Miami Vice 2006."We know from "The Aviator" how perfect he gets the details with clothes,cars, and weapons, etc. Hope it doesn't disappoint.Too bad Mann's usual extras from Vice days are too old for this one. I'll be there opening night.Would also like to see "Star Trek". It looks well cast also.

• 3 weeks later...
Public Enemies - The Numbers So FarThe Numbers Rating: 7.40 (5 votes) Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 65% - Fresh Theatrical Performance Total US Gross $47,059,130 International Gross $5,458,422 Worldwide Gross $52,517,552 Released July 1, 2009 July 8, 2009 (Trinidad) July 8, 2009 (Switzerland (French Speaking)) July 8, 2009 (Switzerland) July 8, 2009 (France) July 9, 2009 (Slovakia) July 9, 2009 (Malaysia) July 9, 2009 (Israel) July 9, 2009 (Czech Republic) July 10, 2009 (Turkey) July 10, 2009 (Lithuania) July 10, 2009 (Latvia) July 10, 2009 (Estonia) July 10, 2009 (Bulgaria) Production Budget $102,500,000 MPAA Rating R for gangster violence and some language Budget Source: L.A. Times ("a bit over $100 million") Budget Source: L.A. Times, 6/5/2009 Distributed by Universal Source Based on Book/Short Story Major Genre Drama Country United States Production Method Live Action Creative Type Dramatization Time Frame 1930-1940 Director Michael Mann Weekend Chart RecordDate Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days 7/3/2009 3 $25,271,675 3,334 $7,580 $40,141,080 5 Daily Chart RecordDate Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days 7/1/2009 3 $8,165,025 3,319 $2,460 $8,165,025 1 7/2/2009 3 $6,704,380 -17.89% 3,319 $2,020 $14,869,405 2 7/3/2009 3 $10,168,655 +51.67% 3,334 $3,050 $25,038,060 3 7/4/2009 3 $6,834,700 -32.79% 3,334 $2,050 $31,872,760 4 7/5/2009 3 $8,268,320 +20.98% 3,334 $2,480 $40,141,080 5 7/6/2009 3 $3,534,040 -57.26% 3,334 $1,060 $43,675,120 6 7/7/2009 3 $3,384,010 -4.25% 3,334 $1,015 $47,059,130 7

"The Biggest Hit in Michael Mann's Career"This is the label already being placed on Mann's "Public Enemies":From The-Numbers.com:"Coming in third throughout its first five days (as of 07/08/09) in theater was Public Enemies, which earned $25.27 million from Friday to Sunday and $40.14 million since Wednesday. This is actually better than average for both Johnny Depp and Christian Bale and shows they can be box office draws outside of blockbuster franchises. As for the film's long term chances, its reviews finished the weekend at 65% positive, which should help it earn solid legs at the box office. Just over $100 million is a reasonable target, which would make it the biggest hit in Michael Mann's career, and give it a shot at profitability during its initial push onto the home market, perhaps a little sooner."

Johnny Depp and Michael Mann Frontrunners for the Oscar?"Rewarding filmmaking this year includes Michael Mann’s "Public Enemies."Lean and fast, "Public Enemies" is an epic thriller starring Johnny Depp as gangster John Dillinger, who captivated Americans with his dangerous life for a generation. The shootout robberies, choreographed by the Chicago-born Michael Mann and captured by Dante Spinotti’s fluid chiaroscuro cinematography, are dazzling, as are the 1930s Depression-era details, with the criminals’ favored fedoras and long coats, and the soundtrack featuring Billie Holiday and Gene Autry."Eingefügtes BildComplete Story:http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,531631,00.html?test=faces

• Administrators
He will have to top the shipyard shootout from "Miami Vice 2006."We know from "The Aviator" how perfect he gets the details with clothes' date='cars, and weapons, etc. Hope it doesn't disappoint.Too bad Mann's usual extras from Vice days are too old for this one. [/quote']"The Aviator" was a Martin Scorsese film, not Michael Mann.

The 2 Michaels of Summer 2009The 2 Michaels - Michael Bay and Michael Mann, get reviewed for their Summer 2009 movie offerings to us. One of them gets trashed by this reviewer, not for the tons of money he is making, but for the style that has supposedly destroyed cinema. No - not Mann, it's the other guy.http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/michael-the-maestro-versus-michael-the-muddled/article1205533/Eingefügtes Bild

The 2 Michaels of Summer 2009The 2 Michaels - Michael Bay and Michael Mann' date=' get reviewed for their Summer 2009 movie offerings to us. One of them gets trashed by this reviewer, not for the tons of money he is making, but for the style that has supposedly destroyed cinema. No - not Mann, it's the other guy.QUOTE']BAYSPLOSIONS!!!! IT'S BAYSPLOSIONS FROM MICHAEL BAY!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRS90V8BQGoEingefügtes BildBBBOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!! POOOOOOOFSSHLFKJSDFMMMMM!!!!!!

BBBOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!! POOOOOOOFSSHLFKJSDFMMMMM!!!!!!

That seems to be the rap he's getting, that his movies sound like that, from beginning to end. Intended to disorient and confuse the viewer. I still go to get entertained, so I guess I'll probably be looking for the M. Mann films. I'm glad that he's got his "comeback film" (after the MV - '06 mumblefilm failure).

• 1 year later...