"Payback" would make a great, feature-length film

Guest myonlyvice

Guest myonlyvice

Its plot was too complicated for the 48 minutes allowed it. After an untold number of viewings I feel like I understand it less now than I did after the first time. For those who think they understand everything in this episode do you feel that it adequately addresses all the facets of the story or are there inconsistencies? I remember a thread a while back devoted to this episode but I didn't find it very helpful in my understanding. Will the experts please stand up?

In my opinion, there are some unanswered questions, but I could imagine that the makers had thought about another appearance of Frank Zappa in a later ep.

Yeah this is one of those episodes that needs further delving into. It's on our screens this weekend, so perfect opportunity to watch carefully and ask myself if I *really* understand it.

• 3 months later...

I always thought, confusing or not, this episode had one of the best plots. I always enjoy fiction where the hero has the least idea of what's going on around him, and it was great to see Zappa as the kingpin. Chuck in a neat Jan Hammer tune and plenty of Crockett's Theme and this episode's one of my favourites.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally AgreePayback has a great film noir plot. I agree that they could have devoted another hour to fleshing it out--maybe made it a season opener or closer.Michael Mann probably should've just used it as the plot for his feature version instead of what he went with because it makes a helluva lot more sense and was far more entertaining than what I sat through last weekend. :evil:

• 1 year later...

Well Mann did use a little bit for the movie. Where Crockett sells back the coke to the owner but in the film, they give it back for free as like a goodwill gesture.