What is your favourite Peter Gabriel song featured on Miami Vice?

Guest neworder

Guest neworder

What is your favourite Peter Gabriel song featured on Miami Vice?Quite a tough one, i personally love most if not all. Vote on the poll.Sledgehammer just about tops it for me, classic song. Only one im not keen on is Mercy Street, but i love Red Rain and We Do What were told. One of the big benefits of Season 3 in my eyes, some great tunes from GabrielSJB

Guest The Talk

Regarding my name, avatar and signature I should have voted for "Biko". :) I do like this one too. As I had to make a decision for one song, "Don't give up" won it by a hair's breadth.Reason: it's the one I prefer, when I literally "listen to" music. :radio:

i'll have to say this is the toughest poll question to date for me. although these songs are all 10s for me, i'll say that "mercy street" sticks out in my mind for some reason. it's such a dramatic song, even without the MV scene.

• Administrators

Unfortunately I can only vote one time. I voted for "Red Rain". But "Biko", "Don't give up" and "We do what we're told" are great as well.

• Administrators

My vote ist for "We do what we're told". I love the Hackman episodes! :happy:But "Biko" and "Rhythm of the Heart" are great as well. Very difficult, because Peter Gabriel made so many good songs! :radio:

It's incredible, the more and more I've researched Peter Gabriel, the more and more music of his I've grown to love. It's also incredible, at least to me, how many songs on that album "So" (my personal favorite album of his) were featured on Vice!Red Rain is my personal favorite song by him, so I had to go with that. It also fit the scene perfectly. I'll have to go back and find Biko, as I'm not remembering initially which one that was, or the episode *damn I need Ginko, 22 and already half senile ladies and gentlemen*.I liked Sledgehammer, Don't Give up, We Do What we're Told, and Rhythm of the Heat a lot though too. Decisions, decisions... :funky:

Guest The Talk
Red Rain is my personal favorite song by him' date=' so I had to go with that. It also fit the scene perfectly. I'll have to go back and find Biko, as I'm not remembering initially which one that was, or the episode *damn I need Ginko, 22 and already half senile ladies and gentlemen*[/quote']You don't need Ginko. You can save your money. ;)Just search the glossary for "Biko" instead. There are lots of information (song, artist, lyrics).Biko is from Evan (closing scene when Sonny holds dying Evan Freed in his arms).Edit:Or use the tags of the bottom line here in this thread. I myself even didn't know they are there. :o:)I saw them just this minute. It's a new feature.

• 2 weeks later...

Peter Gabriel is a genius. When I first started really getting into music outside of merely listening on the radio, Peter Gabriel was one of the first artists that really 'got' to me. I voted for Sledgehammer, though We Do What We're Told came very, very close.Biko always fit the scene in Evan well, except that I have a hard time relating the lyrics to the actual episode. I can, but it takes a bit of twisting and grasping. Still an amazing song and scene.

It is a hard decision between "Biko" and "We do what we're told" because both belongs to scenes I love. I'll say "Biko"."Don't give up" is not among my favorite songs by Peter Gabriel. I like it but I admit it has a lot to do with the fact that I love Burnett's character. He's so sweet when he looks at his "Crockett" locker and smiles, not to mention his sexy ponytail!

Very nice poll!I believe Peter Gabriel is the musical artist who's in more eps of Miami Vice (of course, after Hammer, Truman, Petersen, but we shouldn't consider here the hired composers!)I also think he's right behind "The Doors" in number of compositions used in MV. Nevertheless, I would never compare the impact of "The Doors" in the series (only present in one ep) with Gabriel's impact, as Gabriel helped to define the identity of the series. He was present in Evan, in many parts of the 3rd season, and in what in my opinion is the most intense arc of the series, from Deliver Us From Evil to Redemption in Blood. That's not only what some call the "Burnett Trilogy" but also what I would call the "Identity Crisis Tetralogy" (I believe Crockett already lost it when he met Hackman again). In the DVD (and I guess in the original NBC airings) it's clear they are a tetralogy, as at the end of "Deliver Us From Evil" we read a "To Be Continued".At the end, Gabriel was not heard only in second season.I voted for "The Rhythm Of The Heat" because I think the way it was used in the series was the most dramatic one. The african percussion starting together with the shooting is in my opinion a true strike of genius. It's not my preferred song by Gabriel, but I certainly love it. After that, I'd had to vote for "We Do What We're Told", for the Hackman eps. I thought I'd be the only one on "Rhythm" but was happy to see some other voted in it also.When I started watching Vice, I already liked Peter Gabriel and Jan Hammer a lot, thanks to my older brother. I bought the "SO" album some two years before 3rd season was broadcasted in my Country. As a teen back then, I could rightly guess many songs from it would be used on Vice. I was amazed that was a right guess.It always amazed me also how Gabriel was in sync with the series mood already before the series started. I also always found interesting that Gabriel and Hammer had something in common, from some dire moods (with ominous bass) to some synth sounds as both used the Fairlight CMI and electronic percussion. I believe we could pinpoint many Gabriel tracks that could fit MV perfectly. I could remember now "Intruder", "Lead A Normal Life", "Here Comes The Flood", "Exposure", and nearly the entire "Security" and "Birdy" (soundtrack) albums.For reasons I can't clearly understand, I started not being that much enthusiastic about the works he did after "US" (and "US" was already a bit of a deception for me). Wonder if anyone feels that way. To me it became less strong, personal and highly original.

• 1 month later...

I personally like all of Peter Gabriel's songs, but I chose Sledgehammer. It's a true classic. But I like all the songs used in Miami Vice (Seasons 1-2), Seasons 3 and 4 music are decent but Season 5 was garbage (some). So ya, that's my opinion.

• 1 year later...

Tough choice, but I chose Don't Give Up.Wished they had used "Shock the Monkey" in an MV epiusode.Great song, odd but interesting video.