Why does Crockett always write in pencil?

LNGLK

• Administrators

Maybe he makes a lot of mistakes on his reports? Pencil is a lot easier to erase than pen. ;)

I'm so curious.Why does Crockett always write in pencil?Why does not he use a pen? :confused:Can you find any reasons for it?

That is a very old "cop trick" that you don't see as much today. Pens don't write in damp weather and then run out when held upside down (or did in the 80s). We used a pencil to document surveillance and to make notes because they always worked. And if they didn't a pocket-knife would fix you right up.I still pick up little tidbits that the show did well. They must have spent some time with Metro-Dade to get so much right. JN
  • Like 1

That is a very old "cop trick" that you don't see as much today. Pens don't write in damp weather and then run out when held upside down (or did in the 80s). We used a pencil to document surveillance and to make notes because they always worked. And if they didn't a pocket-knife would fix you right up.I still pick up little tidbits that the show did well. They must have spent some time with Metro-Dade to get so much right. JN

Thank you!So does it mean that in the 80s an official document (a report) could be written in pencil?

Thank you!So does it mean that in the 80s an official document (a report) could be written in pencil?

Seems like we had to do tickets in ink. And forms were done on manual, then electric, typewriters. I know back in the day all Georgia Troopers carried an ink pen for the ticket books and a mechanical pencil for accident reports. And no decent cop of that time would write a ticket in the rain unless you were involved in an accident.If you got out in the rain your hat was soaked (you had to buy your own hat and any rain cover for it) as well as most of your gear. Try drying out a gunbelt that already weighed a couple of pounds after it gets good and wet.In thinking back, many agencies used the UCR (Uniform Crime Report) forms which had blocks for each letter of the information that you got. That was used to input the data into the earliest computer crime reporting. And those could be filled out in pencil. So, yes in the 80s there were some official reports done in pencil.JN

What an perfect answer. I've also noticed while using always a pencil, but: 1st I would not dare :o to ask that (thanks, LNGLK), and 2nd I would have never believed that there is really such a cool reason (thanks jurassic narc). Unbelievable!

I've also noticed while using always a pencil' date=' but: 1st I would not dare :o to ask that (thanks, LNGLK), and [/quote']Why??? a) Why not ask if you are curious?b) It's something like a "pavlovian reflex". No test works written in pencil or having pencil corrections should be checked. And each year some former schoolchildren start telling me that they feel uncomfortable using pens, that at school they were taught to use only pencils. (I can hardly believe it)PS. I remember a funny discussion about three thick dictionaries on Crockett's table :D

• Administrators

WOW!I couldn't believe my eyes. In the end of season 5 Crockett started to use a pen! :eek:Eingefügtes Bild

It came with that stupid vest! :evil:

writing with pencil or pen..doesn't matter...crockett still looked hot no matter what :happy:[ATTACH=CONFIG]4021[/ATTACH]

post-10128-13892963668837_thumb.jpg

writing with pencil or pen..doesn't matter...crockett still looked hot no matter what :happy:[ATTACH=CONFIG]4021[/ATTACH]

Oh yeah... :glossy:Special thanks to Jurassic Narc. :clap: I always love your stories about police work.

:dance2: :dance2: :dance2: Cute ! As if it would arrive on anything else ... ;););) But okay, okay, I'm thinking about :happy: for some time now - You're right! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::p