Duryea in "The Maze"

Guest myonlyvice

Guest myonlyvice

I've never understood why Duryea seemed to become a member of Vice, even taking orders from Castillo. Who the heck is this waste of a life and where did he come from? Is it possible there was some backstory explaining who Duryea and Dickey were and where they came from that wound up on the cutting room floor? The presence and roll of Duryea is so out of place and the kicker is his character was not needed in the episode. I understand the need to make the Escobars cop killers for the story but they should have had them whack one of the thousands of recognizable extras who, in these early episodes, were always milling about at OCB trying their best to look busy while the camera was on them. At least this would have provided some continuity and spared us the torture of Duryea's ugly mug and asinine behavior. This was just a frustrating episode though Jan Hammer is a definite bright spot.

• 3 months later...
Guest myonlyvice

That asshat is one of the main reasons why I hate that episode.

We see eye-to-eye on MANY things, Mrs. E.F. If there's ever another Vice convention and we are both in attendance it is imperative that we hang out.

I've never understood why Duryea seemed to become a member of Vice' date=' even taking orders from Castillo. Who the heck is this waste of a life and where did he come from? Is it possible there was some backstory explaining who Duryea and Dickey were and where they came from that wound up on the cutting room floor? The presence and roll of Duryea is so out of place and the kicker is his character was not needed in the episode. I understand the need to make the Escobars cop killers for the story but they should have had them whack one of the thousands of recognizable extras who, in these early episodes, were always milling about at OCB trying their best to look busy while the camera was on them. At least this would have provided some continuity and spared us the torture of Duryea's ugly mug and asinine behavior. This was just a frustrating episode though Jan Hammer is a definite bright spot.[/quote']I totally agree with you. A recognizable extra would have made much more sense. Did the producers have a quota for guest spots they had to fill every season?

Duryea's entertainment value is actually one of the reasons i LIKE this episode. I'm always waiting him to make his smart, suave decisions just to see him getting verbally ragdolled by the higher authority or doing something more damaging in the process like getting his partner killed. I would have liked to see more of him, something along the lines of standing up to Castillo, defying orders and getting suspended and doing something reckless afterwards. He was used, but not enough to reach his FULL potential of being a total d-bag.

Guest myonlyvice
Duryea's entertainment value is actually one of the reasons i LIKE this episode. I'm always waiting him to make his smart' date=' suave decisions just to see him getting verbally ragdolled by the higher authority or doing something more damaging in the process like getting his partner killed. I would have liked to see more of him, something along the lines of standing up to Castillo, defying orders and getting suspended and doing something reckless afterwards. He was used, but not enough to reach his FULL potential of being a total d-bag.[/quote']Very interesting perspective. I'm amenable to this.

• Administrators

I posted this question on another thread that about this ep. After the credits, we see Sonny and Rico talking to Castillo in his office. Duryea is sitting outside and you can see him through the glass.Sonny says to Castillo something like "that guy is responsible for the death of a good cop."Always wondered why they blamed Duryea for Dickie's death. Seem to me he was killed in the line of duty trying to apprehend the Escobars? That part never made sense to me. Guess they just wanted a Charlie Brown for that ep. and he was it.

I liked the guy who played Duryea in other t.v., but not so much this ep. Took me a minute to remember who he was without cheating - for a sec. I thought you meant that short chubby dude who always hung around and leeched off of Rocky Balboa. Ugh. - I think there was a scene I liked when the building was first stormed, Tubbs is a fast runner! (Am I on the right episode?) I would need to lose a few pounds so I can do that, but I know for sure I could bust down a door a LOT easier! All these guys with size 30 waists - get real.- Members Only jackets - yes, I had one just like Duryea's. Shudder. But him, the super curly cheesy hair, the jacket, gross.- I always liked the 'Book of My Life' song, catchy. Wondering if that's a PMT original.

I've never understood why Duryea seemed to become a member of Vice' date=' even taking orders from Castillo. Who the heck is this waste of a life and where did he come from? Is it possible there was some backstory explaining who Duryea and Dickey were and where they came from that wound up on the cutting room floor? The presence and roll of Duryea is so out of place and the kicker is his character was not needed in the episode. I understand the need to make the Escobars cop killers for the story but they should have had them whack one of the thousands of recognizable extras who, in these early episodes, were always milling about at OCB trying their best to look busy while the camera was on them. At least this would have provided some continuity and spared us the torture of Duryea's ugly mug and asinine behavior. This was just a frustrating episode though Jan Hammer is a definite bright spot.[/quote']I agree, he was an akward one! Always so quick to pull out his gun, and the dont give a crap attitude....how did this man ever become a cop??? I actually like this episode, despite the 2 out of no where cops.

We were supposed to dislike him.I'm not sure that Duryea was a vice detective. There were many officers featured in "The Maze", vice, hostage negotiators, swat team, uniformed police etc.Perhaps Duryea worked burglery, and Crockett and Tubbs knew him from working with the Sheriff's office. Crockett used to be a hot shot in burglery, and perhaps met him on the way up.Duryea taking orders from Castillo doesn't seem out of place. Although he may not have been Duryea's immediate supervisor, a Police (or Sheriff L.T.) should be able to give an order to a regular cop or Deputy under his rank. Crockett told other cops not within the unit to do things, because they had the gold badges showing rank.Castillo was also one of the people in charge of the Maze operation, and those below his rank would indeed do as he says.I'm also not sure why Duryea was blamed by Crockett for the death of his partner. I'm just guessing Crockett didn't care for his playing cowboy with his spontanious action run towards the bad guys, but I don't see anything wrong wrong with it. There was a situation, he was a cop, he had his partner with him, and two experienced vice detectives. No need for back up, there were four of them. Why NOT spring into action?Duryea was also verbally warned by his partner that the guy had a gun before he was shot and killed. Duryea just wasn't the target at the moment when his partner went down.I don't see anyting wrong with police procedure, unless it was not taking cover.I'm with you tim, I don't get it either. I'm guessing Crockett didn't like his recklessness, but I don't see how he could be blamed.Duryea wasn't suspended or repremended, so I'm guessing he did nothing wrong.

• Administrators

Agreed. But Crockett could be said to be far more reckless then Duryea.I still think the point of him was to make a Charlie Brown for the ep. He didn't do anything out of line that I saw.

Agreed. But Crockett could be said to be far more reckless then Duryea.I still think the point of him was to make a Charlie Brown for the ep. He didn't do anything out of line that I saw.

Once again, I also agree that Crockett, in general is more reckless than Duryea at times.I wonder if Jurrasic Narc could tell us his opinion on this. I mean, in the circumstance that Duryea's partner was killed, what did duryea do wrong? He acually seemed brave, and tried to help out a guy who's business was being wrecked.The only thing I can see possibly wrong, is they were all in plain clothes, and didn't I.D. themselves as cops. You know...."Freeze, police! Drop your weapons!" something like that. (however they did seem to be a block away when coming to the business store owner's aid, perhaps it was too far away to yell that information?)

yeah, it seemed strange why they pinned Dickie's death on Duryea. it has always been in the back of my mind when i've watched this episode, but to be honest, i've never given it much thought or cared enough. this episode needed a patsy like Duryea to be the fall guy. he is a comic relief, like a refresing breeze that reinvigorates a withered plant. this somewhat stagnant and serious(after the club scene) episode needed something to keep things interesting. Duryea looks goofy whatever he does, almost everything he utters is a punch line, he is overzealous, all enjoyable qualities. the running scene in the beginning is pure gold, and the rambo mentality when he is storming "The Maze"... oh, so funny. i was wrong before saying that i wanted to hate on him. because in fact, i love him in this episode. nonetheless, the result is same. he is one of the reasons i enjoy watching this episode.

Guest myonlyvice
yeah he kinda spices things up a bit. i want to see him doing something idiotic just so i can hate on him some more.oh' date=' and a GREAT topic as usual.[/quote']I think it's so funny that I started this topic back in June and there was not even a nibble until just a couple of days ago. :) If you're being sincere with the "great topic", I greatly appreciate it. If you're not, I understand completely! :DHey, what's up with my emoticons?

I probably need to re-watch the episode before I get too deep on this subject. But the impression I got was that Duryea was viewed as a hot head, and a loose cannon on deck. His contribution to the death of his partner may have been that "plunge ahead and damn the torpedos" attitude.I always just thought that there wasn't enough conflict with the young guys in the building, so Duryea was added to create a second plot line to develop a sense of drama. But then what do I know?As far as the police procedures, for that time frame (1984-86) I don't see anything that is particularly unrealistic. The idea of an undercover inside a potential SWAT entry is a bit far fetched. But, again, if Tubbs had not gone inside then how do we develop the story?If I get a chance to look closer at the episode I will be sure to post something.JN

I think it's so funny that I started this topic back in June and there was not even a nibble until just a couple of days ago. :) If you're being sincere with the "great topic"' date=' I greatly appreciate it. If you're not, I understand completely! :DHey, what's up with my emoticons?[/quote']i meant what i said! :thumbsup: