TOWER RECORDS

COOPER&BURNETT

I really miss TOWER RECORDS.I lived there. To me, no other record store makes me feel the way TOWER RECORDS did.I almost never buy cds in stores anymore, as I buy them on the internet (which is what did Tower Records in, but not changing with the times....)Although it's easier to buy online....there was just something about going to TOWER RECORDS, and the experience that just can't be duplicated by buying online.TOM HANKS' son is going to make a documentary on TOWER RECORDS.http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20070533-47/kickstarter-funding-for-a-tower-records-documentary-film/I still have vintage TOWER RECORDS shirts that I wear. One is still sealed.I miss TOWER RECORDS.Anyone else miss the store?

I miss Tower Records' date=' too, Coop:cry:I spent many hours there over the years, and it's just so sad it's gone.[/quote']I still can't believe it's gone. :cry:It was one of my very favorite hangouts. I bought TONS of music there.45s, lps, tapes, cds, video, 12" singles...etc..Damn, I miss it.

I'm considering donating to the TOWER RECORDS documentary. I'll certainly see it when it comes out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering donating to the TOWER RECORDS documentary. I'll certainly see it when it comes out.

im a brit and flew to LA in 06 and got to go in and spend a few 100 dollers on some cds and DVDs..its really only known within the US, when i went back in 09 it was gone but amoeba music on sunset had the same sorta feel..has anyone ever been to amoeba... it was like a swap meet/boot fair lol

im a brit and flew to LA in 06 and got to go in and spend a few 100 dollers on some cds and DVDs..its really only known within the US' date=' when i went back in 09 it was gone but amoeba music on sunset had the same sorta feel..has anyone ever been to amoeba... it was like a swap meet/boot fair lol[/quote']I thought they had a TOWER RECORDS LONDON?The documentary should be great, as they are interviewing many people who worked there for years, AND RUSS SOLOMON, the founder and owner of the business. He's still alive. He tried to start a new record store called R5 RECORDS, but it just didn't work. He's retired now, but he would have all the information needed for the documentary. I will ABSOLUTELY see it! :thumbsup:

I also have an extensive record collection of some rarities.It's sad that recorded music is at a state it is these days with downloading, Itunes etc.We lost a staple of our Canadian heritage as well. It was called "Sam the Record Man" located on Younge Street in Toronto. It was one of the biggest stores in all of Canada and one of the oldest.I remember when I was a dj back in the seventies I used to go there and go to the fourth floor where they had the special stuff for underground and dance music and off the wall cuts. I got a 45 there from some promoter with an unknown band called U2 with "I will follow" on both sides. It says "Promotional Copy-not for retail sale" right on the lable. I still have that two sides single to this day.It looks like the days of the "RECORD STORE" are going to be a thing of the past very soon. I don't know how long HMV and others can hold on? Have you seen the prices of dvd's there??????? WTF? Thirty bucks for a movie I can find for five somewhere else! Not good business practices.......

I also have an extensive record collection of some rarities.It's sad that recorded music is at a state it is these days with downloading' date=' Itunes etc.We lost a staple of our Canadian heritage as well. It was called "Sam the Record Man" located on Younge Street in Toronto. It was one of the biggest stores in all of Canada and one of the oldest.I remember when I was a dj back in the seventies I used to go there and go to the fourth floor where they had the special stuff for underground and dance music and off the wall cuts. I got a 45 there from some promoter with an unknown band called U2 with "I will follow" on both sides. It says "Promotional Copy-not for retail sale" right on the lable. I still have that two sides single to this day.It looks like the days of the "RECORD STORE" are going to be a thing of the past very soon. I don't know how long HMV and others can hold on? Have you seen the prices of dvd's there??????? WTF? Thirty bucks for a movie I can find for five somewhere else! Not good business practices.......[/quote']
What a sad day this will be, when the 'RECORD STORE', becomes a past memory. :cry:Part of the enjoyment in purchasing a tape/CD/DVD is the ambience of the record store....the background music and discovering a new tune, noise of flipping through the items, to reach your chosen tape/CD, the friendly, knowledgeable advice from the store clerk....Here's a scene in a record store, from a well known 80's movie, to hopefully put a smile on your face.......http://youtu.be/z727wXHEJMg

I've never been to Tower Records, but I know how you must feel. I remember going to Sam Goody every time I went to Boston. They bit the dust with the box stores, online purchases, and Itunes.Book stores are having the same problems with e-readers and internet. Borders has had to close several stores including the original one in L.A.

Yep, no doubt Tower was a staple amongst record stores. I used to shop in the NYC store when I lived there, as well as J&R music. I could easily get lost in either store for hours. This might make you feel better, coop:http://www.tower.com/

easily get lost in either store for hours. This might make you feel better, coop:http://www.tower.com/

Thanks Pal! Yeah, I know about that website, but it's not an actual store you can visit, but just another online cd store.There are lots of little shops around that still deal with used LPs, cds, and video, but the fun in the search is not quite the same, as it is actually more convienient to just easily search for something (even used) online, and have it shipped directly to your door without having to search all over town, and in every store.......but that too was kind of fun. The search aspect by actually discovering it in a stack of records or cds in some old store somewhere, and pulling out your treasure, is now gone. Online shopping is what I do now, and it's easier, but I sure miss the search.There were lots of stores around, TOWER RECORDS was the biggie, there was SAM GOODIE, THE WHEREHOUSE RECORDS, and some other one that I can't recall the name......

There were lots of stores around' date=' TOWER RECORDS was the biggie, there was SAM GOODIE, THE WHEREHOUSE RECORDS, and some other one that I can't recall the name......[/quote'] Strawberry Reccords? I could get lost in there for hours. They used to have a store in Boston with three or four floors.

Yep, Strawberry's, Sam Goody's, Musicland, Record World, Harmony Hut, those were the days...all the fun perusing the bins is pretty much gone...I recently visited an FYE store, what a joke, typical with the "lastest and greatest" releases, movies, etc. If a record store is going to compete in this market of online digital downloads, you would think they would be BIG ENOUGH to stock complete catalogs of artists. The Tower 4th & Broadway store in NYC was an ENTIRE CITY BLOCK... I guess increasing costs and overhead led to their demise...

Strawberry Reccords? I could get lost in there for hours. They used to have a store in Boston with three or four floors.

I think it started with an I or an E, and was a fairly long word. Can't remember it.

Here in Canada on the nations station called CBC, we have a great program called the "Vinyl Cafe" It's hosted by a guy named Stuart McLean and he is an aurator of great stories. The premice is around a used record store and the owner and his family. The stories are funny and touching, but the idea is he is keeping vinyl alive.There are also real life stores, two of them that I know of in my town alone, that are selling used vinyl and there are some real gems !Records seem to be the new thing for kids as they discover music from the sixties and seventies etc. I don't think vinyl will fade very soon, but the stores that sell it are going to have a tough time for sure.Another neat thing is that I see lots of stereo shops now selling systems to record vinyl directly to mp3's. Lots oamufactureres are feeding the demand for this new way of recording and keeping music.

Here in Canada on the nations station called CBC' date=' we have a great program called the "Vinyl Cafe" It's hosted by a guy named Stuart McLean and he is an aurator of great stories. The premice is around a used record store and the owner and his family. The stories are funny and touching, but the idea is he is keeping vinyl alive.There are also real life stores, two of them that I know of in my town alone, that are selling used vinyl and there are some real gems !Records seem to be the new thing for kids as they discover music from the sixties and seventies etc. I don't think vinyl will fade very soon, but the stores thqt sell it are going to have a tough time for sure.Another neat thing is that I see lots of stereo shops now selling systems to record vinyl directly to mp3's. Lots oamufactureres are feeding the demand for this new way of recording and keeping music.[/quote']Yep. I also see stores selling cds, and videos, and in a corner somewhere they have lps and 45s. I have the ability (actually long before these mp3 machines were available) to transfer my lps to cd. I've done it for many years because I still own a turntable.

think they would be BIG ENOUGH to stock complete catalogs of artists. The Tower 4th & Broadway store in NYC was an ENTIRE CITY BLOCK... I guess increasing costs and overhead led to their demise...

I went into an FYE store right before Christmas. It was going out of business and everything was 40-70% off. I got the Jason Bourne trilogy and a cd for under $30Virgin Megastore is another one that went under a few years ago.

Book stores are having the same problems with e-readers and internet. Borders has had to close several stores including the original one in L.A.

Today' date=' Borders announced they are closing all remaining stores. 35 of them might re-open if they can sell them to Books-A-Million.There will be liquidation sales of 40%-70% off.[url']http://www.borders.com