Anyone ever try-out for Vice?

Guest MetroVice

Guest MetroVice

Back in 1986 They were holding a call for Miami Vice "extra's" in Ft Lauderdale. I was nearly thirty at the time and loved the show so I thought "What the hell- It might be fun". It was just a simple face-in-a-crowd walk by but I was a bodyguard at the time for the Trump Organization and thought it would be cool to somehow get my mug on an episode, even if it was for all of one or two seconds, if THAT long.Needless to say I wasn't selected and didn't get to enjoy any bragging rights to being on the show, and my television acting career was smashed :)Oh well. Such as life . . .

Guest MetroVice

Here we go . . .

At least you tried' date=' and now you can tell us MV fans about that experience :thumbsup:[/quote'] Not a whole lot to tell. The waiting room was filled with a bunch of shiny suit-wearing people who probably thought that was what they were looking for while others made it seem like it was a Sonny Crockett look-a-like contest. I never saw so many 5 o'clock shadow beards in all my life.I had just gotten off work that morning in Palm Beach after working 16 hours so you might say I was not at my best but nonetheless I was much younger then and felt great despite the time. I was called into an interview room where they took some head shots and general pictures of your physique. Although I have no idea why she was there, I spoke very briefly with Bonnie Timmerman. I'm not sure why she would even bother attending an extra call, as I thought it likely she would only be involved with the *real* talent and not a bunch of Vice wanna-be's. But I guess things were different in 1986 (that or it was a chance visit by her this one time). Either way my point is I had no idea who Bonnie Timmerman even was back then because there was no internet like we have today that allows us to simply look up who's who and what they did on or for the show. In fact, I only remember her name because she told me she was in charge of casting for the show and all the other employees in the room seem to regard her with reverence as if she was someone of importance. Obviously she was.They took some shots of me and I gave them my contact info and they said they'd be in touch with me if they could use me (again, no cell-phones, email or texting in those days - cell-phones were only for the rich back then). I never heard from them after that :cry:That's pretty much it. Never got to rub elbows with anyone on the show but it was really funny at the time because my family (especially my sisters) kept asking me if I met Don Johnson or PMT, as if THEY would even attend something like that. People are stupid . . .Life goes on and here we are today :rolleyes:

Not a whole lot to tell. The waiting room was filled with a bunch of shiny suit-wearing people who probably thought that was what they were looking for while others made it seem like it was a Sonny Crockett look-a-like contest. I never saw so many 5 o'clock shadow beards in all my life.

That is funny! And a testament to how powerful MV was playing into fashion trends of the time. I think people tend to forget that. I bet all those guys heard about the casting call and decided not to shave for a few days, truly thinking that they'd get to replace DJ ... like that would ever happen.Is there a show on today where people try to emulate so closely the look of the lead characters?

I enjoyed reading about your experience, MetroVice! I wonder if there are any others out there with a casting couch story, or perhaps knew of someone's experience, scoring an extra's part?

Guest MetroVice

Mass effect

That is funny! And a testament to how powerful MV was playing into fashion trends of the time. I think people tend to forget that. I bet all those guys heard about the casting call and decided not to shave for a few days' date=' truly thinking that they'd get to replace DJ ... like that would ever happen.Is there a show on today where people try to emulate so closely the look of the lead characters?[/quote'] You don't see it, ever. Considering all the television shows that have come and gone since Vice, and even those before it, NONE have have had the overall effect on the masses that Miami Vice had. Back in the day I don't think people realized the far-reaching effect it had not only in the USA but elsewhere as well. I've never known a TV show that was as accepted and loved as Vice.That's why we're all here and it's so much fun to keep the thrill of the show alive. I appreciate this site and everything all of you contribute to it :):glossy:

Thanks for sharing your story :cool: That's closer than most people would have got to the show & still even though you didn't make it through, I think you can still classify yourself as being part of Miami Vice history :thumbsup:

That is funny! And a testament to how powerful MV was playing into fashion trends of the time. I think people tend to forget that. I bet all those guys heard about the casting call and decided not to shave for a few days' date=' truly thinking that they'd get to replace DJ ... like that would ever happen.Is there a show on today where people try to emulate so closely the look of the lead characters?[/quote'] One thing I think that I've summed up about DJ/Crockett is that he had a legion of both male and female fans. Female fans wanted to be with him; male fans wanted to be like him.I'm not sure if I can think of an actor today who has both a huge male and female following, where the male fans idolise him....thinking thinking....

One thing I think that I've summed up about DJ/Crockett is that he had a legion of both male and female fans. Female fans wanted to be with him; male fans wanted to be like him.I'm not sure if I can think of an actor today who has both a huge male and female following' date=' where the male fans idolise him....thinking thinking....[/quote']
Now THAT is TRUE MAGNETISM!!! :happy:I've tried thinking about a current actor today, who would posess this........I've drawn a blank....