My latest Vice-related story...John Diehl edition.

CharlieGlide

As mentioned before, I worked on the Fox show "Human Target." Season 1 had loads of good special guest star casting.At that time, we have our offices (writers office was in Burbank, production office was in Vancouver) in Burbank at the Warner Bros. Ranch, as it's called.Most of the guest star casting took place in our offices which was awesome. I got to see Gedde Watanabe (I'm a huge "Sixteen Candles" fan) and some others.But by far the best day was when John Diehl came into read for a role. My office looked out to where the actors waited for their turns to audition, so imagine how I freaked out when I found out he was coming into to read for a role.He comes in and I play it cool. I never interrupt an actor before they audition, and I didn't want to make a special acknowledgement which would not have been fair to the others.So here's what I did...I waited until he was done reading and was leaving the building. I slipped out the back door and cut him off in the parking lot while he was walking to his car. You never know what an actor's reaction will be, especially after an audition. But John Diehl could not have been more cool and gracious. He talked at length about his Vice experience. I assume most of the people here know his reasons for leaving the show -- he was told it would be more of an ensemble thing and he felt he wasn't able to flex his acting muscles. He loved working on the show, but just wanted to work more. He and Michael Talbot are still good friends and talk here and there. He was going out with Sandra Santiago during the show, which I didn't know.All in all, Diehl was a very cool gent. I actually had to cut the conversation short since I had to go back to work. He seemed like the kind of dude who would've met up later for a pint. Wish I woulda done that. Oh well, there's always the next show...

• Like 1

I enjoy these short stories, CharlieGlide, so keep 'em coming! :thumbsup:I was surprised to read that John Diehl was seeing Saundra Santiago! P.S. It looked as if YOU were the star in your avatar, until I googled the gentleman beside you and identified him! :):)

Just to clarify...it was Michael Talbot who was dating Santiago. Not John Diehl. And thank you for appreciating the stories!

Thanks again CharlieGlide :cool: Very interesting. I actually really liked John Diehl on MV - I thought he was a very natural actor - there was never any 'over acting' or anything; the character of Larry Zito just flowed naturally. Wish he had stayed on..