Wonder why they never gave Switek a new partner

MVfan

I don't know if this has already come up here or not (couldn't find any threads about it, so forgive me if I'm being repetitious), but I was wondering why they never cast anyone to play the role of a new partner for Switek after Zito's character was killed off. I just wonder why they didn't choose to do something similar to the way in which the character of Castillo replaced Lou's character. Does anyone know the story?

• Administrators

As it was just a supporting role, I don't think they thought it was really necessary. Not to mention saving on the cost of a new character.Lou/Castillo's character was necessary for the show. They had to have a LT. in charge of OCB. Zito was just filler IMHO.

As it was just a supporting role' date=' I don't think they thought it was really necessary. Not to mention saving on the cost of a new character.Lou/Castillo's character was necessary for the show. They had to have a LT. in charge of OCB. Zito was just filler IMHO.[/quote']I agree 100% with Timm525.Michael Talbott and John Diehl were saddly under used, and Michael seemingly even less after John left. There really wasn't any reason to add another actor being they weren't going to use him much anyway.Anyway, Timm525 nailed it.

• Administrators

I'd also add that the focus of the show really was on Sonny after that anyways. The show was really picking up momentum and all the other supporting actors/actresses took a back seat in the later seasons.

What timm525 said, also I think that since the producers were trying to steer away from the lighter and more comical elements of the first two seasons and develop a grittier, darker show they probably thought having another Switek/Zito duo which served as a big comic relief in the previous two seasons wouldn't have seem appropriate for the theme they were trying to achieve.

What is really sad is that by the fifth season, you get to see that Switek plays a great serious character. There just wasn't enough of the supporting actors/actresses on the show.

Yeah, I think it's all part of the evolution into the Don Johnson Show. MV really lost the magic of the character interaction -- and C&T as equals -- as it went on.

What is really sad is that by the fifth season' date=' you get to see that Switek plays a great serious character. There just wasn't enough of the supporting actors/actresses on the show.[/quote'] It'd have been great if they never killed off Zito so we'd have gotten to see more serious episodes ala Down for the Count by the last season. I always found Zito a more intriguing character than Switek, and the writers could have used the opportunity to talk about Zito's alcoholism, or his big extended family.

• Administrators

I don't believe anyone ever asked this exact question before but the discussion about it being the Don Johnson show has come up several times over the years. I think we tend to forget that "Miami Vice" was always intended to be the Don Johnson show. He IS the main star. Even Rico took a back seat to him most of the time. I've never had a problem with the main focus being on Don but I do agree that the rest of the cast was poorly neglected in later seasons.

I should probably clarify. The show most def. was always intended to be seen through Crockett's POV, but I do believe in my heart of hearts that it was at first meant to be about both guys and their relationship against the backdrop of 80s Miami. (Say 60% C and 40%T for lack of a more eloquent way to put it). Then DJ took off like a rocket as an icon and sex symbol, and the trajectory changed. Heck, by the end, Rico got about as much screentime as Gina, Trudy and Switek.

• Administrators
Heck' date=' by the end, Rico got about as much screentime as Gina, Trudy and Switek.[/quote']Maybe all those ugly clothes he was given to wear in season 5 made him ask for less screen time? Just a thought. ;)

I figured the decision not to cast another actor was probably a cost saving issue myself, but the theories about it not fitting with the direction in which the show was headed are interesting. I hadn't thought about it that way.

• Administrators
I should probably clarify. The show most def. was always intended to be seen through Crockett's POV' date=' but I do believe in my heart of hearts that it was at first meant to be about both guys and their relationship against the backdrop of 80s Miami. (Say 60% C and 40%T for lack of a more eloquent way to put it). Then DJ took off like a rocket as an icon and sex symbol, and the trajectory changed. Heck, by the end, Rico got about as much screentime as Gina, Trudy and Switek.[/quote'] I gotta agree with you 100% on this one. :thumbsup:

Maybe all those ugly clothes he was given to wear in season 5 made him ask for less screen time? Just a thought. ;)

Yeah ... Rico was a walking fashion "don't" in some of those later eps.

Tubbs had the #1 spot in quite a few episodes Seas. 4&5.....eg. Indian Wars, Honor Among Theives(Tubbs wants to "dance" w/ the bad dude),Borrasca, Cell Within, Lost Madonna, Too Much Too Late.

• 4 weeks later...
I figured the decision not to cast another actor was probably a cost saving issue myself' date=' but the theories about it not fitting with the direction in which the show was headed are interesting. I hadn't thought about it that way.[/quote'] I agree. It was probably a cost factor but I also agree with others about focusing more on Don Johnson. Does anyone know why Zito's character was killed off?

• Administrators

I agree. It was probably a cost factor but I also agree with others about focusing more on Don Johnson. Does anyone know why Zito's character was killed off?

He wanted to move on to other things.

I agree. It was probably a cost factor but I also agree with others about focusing more on Don Johnson. Does anyone know why Zito's character was killed off?

Money the show was starting to fall in ratings and Diehl didnt like the direction the show was going which normally means how much screentime he was getting at that point :D

What timm525 said' date=' also I think that since the producers were trying to steer away from the lighter and more comical elements of the first two seasons and develop a grittier, darker show they probably thought having another Switek/Zito duo which served as a big comic relief in the previous two seasons wouldn't have seem appropriate for the theme they were trying to achieve.[/quote'] I would agree with this assessment...When Dick Wolfe took over, the show took on a more serious tone. The ensemble cast (that most NBC shows had at the time) was then paired down to the main characters and stories involving them, probably due to their enormous popularity with fans...

I would agree with this assessment...When Dick Wolfe took over' date=' the show took on a more serious tone. The ensemble cast (that most NBC shows had at the time) was then paired down to the main characters and stories involving them, probably due to their enormous popularity with fans...[/quote']Good point Wolf and Mann wanted a more serious third season hence a lot less screen time for Swi and Zito - the show had to change according to Mann in Season 3 as not to become a cariacture of itself . :D

Good point Wolf and Mann wanted a more serious third season hence a lot less screen time for Swi and Zito - the show had to change according to Mann in Season 3 as not to become a cariacture of itself . :D

By S3 Elvis & Noogie were no longer there & Izzy was only used when they needed him to give them information. Watching the episodes all over again, I think its a shame Zito left just when his character got interesting. As much as I liked DJ, I preferred the earlier episodes which involved all the characters.