Advice requested

cageyJG

Hi all,A recent high-school grad who's friend or relative to some kinda unknown neighbors, "Chris", came to me looking for work today. As it turns out, I could use a bunch of things done in the yard to keep the property looking good for rental. Painting the deck, pulling weeds out of rock beds, or mulching, hedge-trimming, etc.What do you think is an appropriate fee for general things to do like this? Per hour, per block of hours, or per day? Or per task? Do I need to worry about any liabilty type stuff? How would you handle it? I am woefully uninformed when it comes to things that aren't Vice-related, Wal-Mart related, or about protecting the Constitution.

• Administrators

As for liability, that risk will always be there. I'm assuming he's just looking for a way to make money and I'm pretty sure he isn't insured if he does happen to destroy something.With that in mind I would start him out with something simple where he can't do too much damage such as pulling weeds. Then move up to bigger tasks once he proves himself. Pay him by the hour in case he finishes his day early.

Hi all' date='What do you think is an appropriate fee for general things to do like this? Per hour, per block of hours, or per day? Or per task? .[/quote'] May I give a cynical advice? If you pay per hour, he may work 10 times longer than it's necessary ;)Pay him per task

• Administrators

I personally would not let him use any power tools on your property. If he lops off a hand or a foot or a finger, your homeowners is gonna get sued.I had a kid that I swear couldn't have even been 5 years old come pushing a mower up my drive way and ask me if he could cut my grass for ten bucks. The kids arms could hardly reach the handle of the mower when fully outstretched! I couldn't shoo him off my property fast enough. I was polite but rather pissed that the kid's parents, A. couldn't have known where the kid was and B. that they would allow a child that young to go unsupervised cutting lawns! I would hope they thought he was just outside playing when he decided to grab the mower. I had nightmares of the kid lopping off his foot and mom and dad suing me for letting him do it! :thumbsdown:And I would pay by the hour. See how he does.

I never hire, or loan money to friends. That's just my personal policy.I'd try to help my friend by encouraging him, making a few calls, or to point him in the right direction, but I don't hire, or loan money to friends. If somehing goes wrong, ...there goes the friendship.

All great advice. Anyone else? I'll get back to you on what happens.I called the neighbor to ask if he is trustworthy. (Whoa, I know.) He has been in some trouble before, but I don't anticipate any issues. He was also very polite. He has some personal stuff going on so I'm glad to be able to help out a bit. I don't have major fundage to hurl around right now, but I have some extra this month (see the last scene of Prodigal Son).

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you to a certain someone for reminding me on the follow-up.I estimated the time length for each job, for example, clearing weeds and edges in front: 1 1/2 hours. Then multiply that by a typical wage, and offer that for the completion of the job suggesting that I thought he could get it done in an hour or two. Then I asked him if he thought it was fair, and voila. I started with easier things as was suggested, to make sure he wouldn't royally fudge something up. When he came by, he was eager to talk about my work experiences and I set him up with several contacts and was glad to encourage. We have all been there! I felt good that maybe I was being helpful to someone whose shoed I'd been in once. I hadn't seen him for awhile, and then when my block was getting ready for the hurricane, I saw his uncle across the way and asked him how things were going. We reintroduced ourselves, he leaned out to shake my hand, and I said I missed seeing Chris and was looking forward to his dropping by again.His uncle said that unfortunately, they'd sent him back to be with his parents, because he was caught stealing some of their possessions and trying to pawn them. I replied that I was sorry to hear that and hopefully someday Chris can earn a second chance.

Thank you to a certain someone for reminding me on the follow-up.I estimated the time length for each job' date=' for example, clearing weeds and edges in front: 1 1/2 hours. Then multiply that by a typical wage, and offer that for the completion of the job suggesting that I thought he could get it done in an hour or two. Then I asked him if he thought it was fair, and voila. I started with easier things as was suggested, to make sure he wouldn't royally fudge something up. When he came by, he was eager to talk about my work experiences and I set him up with several contacts and was glad to encourage. We have all been there! I felt good that maybe I was being helpful to someone whose shoed I'd been in once. I hadn't seen him for awhile, and then when my block was getting ready for the hurricane, I saw his uncle across the way and asked him how things were going. We reintroduced ourselves, he leaned out to shake my hand, and I said I missed seeing Chris and was looking forward to his dropping by again.His uncle said that unfortunately, they'd sent him back to be with his parents, because he was caught stealing some of their possessions and trying to pawn them. I replied that I was sorry to hear that and hopefully someday Chris can earn a second chance.[/quote']
I think it's commendable cagey, that you gave the young guy a chance.......EVERYONE deserves a chance.......and SOME, a second chance. :thumbsup::thumbsup:Chris is young and hopefully he will learn from his mistake and be given that second chance, whether it's from you, or somebody else, at some point in the future.