way, WAY off topic... our flat perceptions of a round earth

Guest myonlyvice

Guest myonlyvice

How small would the earth have to be in order for us personally to detect its roundness at any given moment without relying on footage taken from outer space or circumnavigating it? I've always found it interesting how we live our day to day lives and are totally unaware of the earth's spherical shape. Can you really blame people from previous generations for believing it was flat? Assuming the Northern hemisphere truly is up and the Southern truly down (this is a whole other can worms I'm sure), why are we in the USA not aware that we are standing on our sides and how come Australians don't feel like they are upside down? If I were standing on a sphere the size of a gymnasium, for example, and didn't have to worry about falling off, I'm sure I would be aware when I was on my side or upside down. But this doesn't seem to apply to the Earth. Obviously the size of the sphere relative to the size of the observer has something to do with it and the horizon and gravity are factors as well but, all things considered, what accounts the distortion of our perceptions?

• Administrators

I guess the Earth is just so darn big we can't see it, although at times I'd swear I can see the slightest of curves on the horizon where the ocean meets the sky.