Rayban 2113 Wayfarer 909 Tortoise Sunglasses

therealdtm

I'm new here so hopefully I did this correctly lol. Anyways, I just bought a pair of Ray-Ban 2113 Wayfarer 909 Tortoise Sunglasses and was wondering if they are fairly close enough to Crockett's style? They look pretty similar to me. And what are the differences? Thanks guys!

HI!Your wayfarers are the larger lens version (54mm) but here's a thread showing exactly the type, and model number of Crockett's sunglasses. The original has medium size 50mm G-15 lenses. The tortoise shell color on the new wayfarers are darker on the current model than the 80's versions. The lighter tortoise shell frames (like the 80's versions like crockett wore) are only available in Europe. I own them, along with the darker frame U.S. version, and you can see what they look like on the last thread below. The thread below shows the 80's version.http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?15809-UNWORN-NEW-1980-S-WAYFARERS!The thread below shows the modern day 50mm wayfarers.http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?15200-NEW!-80-S-WAYFARERS-ARE-BACK!

Wow! I knew I would love this forum! Haha thank you for your help! I suppose these sunglasses are close enough, for now, until I score an '80's pair! :-)

• Administrators

Those look like the more modern Wayfarers. You can tell because the new ones are raked back like the originals. I think Coop will agree. Nice find though!

Those look like the more modern Wayfarers. You can tell because the new ones are raked back like the originals. I think Coop will agree. Nice find though!

wait so the ones you sent me are the raked back ones right? those are the ones id want. and I have been so confused during my searches, by the numbers lol. 2140 are pretty much the same as the old L2052s?

• Administrators

I was confused too 'til 'Coop helped me out. Yes the 2140 is identicle to the original raked back 80's Wayfarer. This topic has pics from every angle of the new (old) Wayfarer. Even a side by side comparison with the 80's originals.http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?15200-NEW!-80-S-WAYFARERS-ARE-BACK!

I was confused too 'til 'Coop helped me out. Yes the 2140 is identicle to the original raked back 80's Wayfarer. This topic has pics from every angle of the new (old) Wayfarer. Even a side by side comparison with the 80's originals.http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?15200-NEW!-80-S-WAYFARERS-ARE-BACK!

And if you like the 80s versions of the 5022s like I do, you can still pick up quality versions on Ebay if you keep an eye open. I still think the tortoise color look of that period is the best compared to the new models, though I do also sometimes wear the black pair when cruising.

awesome! thanks guys for being so helpful! i just gotta find a 50mm pair now :-)

That's what were here for friend!After all, we are the World's largest, and most active MIAMI VICE website!

now I have another question! lol how come some of the ray ban tortoise frames have more of a yellow and brown look rather than two shades of brown (or brown/dark reddish)? is it random?

now I have another question! lol how come some of the ray ban tortoise frames have more of a yellow and brown look rather than two shades of brown (or brown/dark reddish)? is it random?

They are random within a rayban line of sunglasses such as the classic wayfarers, however, they do vary in color if they are in a different line of rayban sunglasses, such as new wayfarers, or wayfarer II.

yeah the new wayfarers are the ones with the yellow tint arent they? and then there's also the ones that have a more leopard print kind of look and are more feminine looking

yeah the new wayfarers are the ones with the yellow tint arent they? and then there's also the ones that have a more leopard print kind of look and are more feminine looking

Right. The classic wayfarers (the copy of the 80's wayfarers) have the best looking tortoise frames right now.The VERY best was the original 80's wayfarers.The closest to the 80's wayfarer tortoise frames are wayfarers not sold in the U.S.. Only Europe for some reason. The frames are the very closest (and lighter tortoise than the current wayfarer frames) to the 80's version. It's model number is RB2140 954 50022 3N.

• 2 months later...

Too bad I wasn't really paying attention at the numbers when I bought my Ray Ban sunglasses.I guess I was too thrilled by the idea that I was finally buying REAL sunglasses for the first time in my life, insteed of pairs that only cost a few euro's and last a few months.Anyway, I bought the RB 2132 902 because I thought they were like Sonny's shades.Later I realised mine are the New Wayfarer and Sonny's are actual quite different.Nevertheless, I look very cool and I'm still happy with my New Wayfarer, although they are not 'the real thing' from a Vice-point of view.I mostly wear contact lenses but I still need a pair of optical glasses so I can switch between them. I'm planning to buy an original Wayfarer for that purpose. The model should be RB 5121 2291.I found out that these are the model numbers:SUNGLASSES: original Wayfarer 2140, new Wayfarer 2132, original 80's Wayfarer 5022OPTICAL: original Wayfarer 5121, new Wayfarer 5184Maybe this is helpful for those who are planning to buy a Wayfarer.(And please correct me if I'm wrong).:cool: