New member to the 10mm world, I will probably make a lot of enemies here....

jama555

Indeed about youtube, I guess I'm just really partial to the pachmayrs since they were designed about the time pachmayr used to build match guns and was really big into competition shooting, which would explain why the pachmayrs gripper grips have the palm swells that collectors are willing to pay 400 bucks for with the 1950's smith and wessons when you can buy a pair of those grips for 1/8th the pricealthough still I'd like to get some keith brown palm swell replicas made down the line for the M29 to complete the look dirty harry's gun had in the first 3 filmsEingefügtes Bild although there roughly the same price unfortunately.plus unlike the hogues for me they've never started to feel sticky for me while at the range or when I'm dryfiring them with snap caps in them, which is something I cant say for the hogues.

The FBI had S&W make some palm swell grips for the FBI's 1076 which are more hand filling. Almost everyone who tried them liked them and now they are hard to find. Every now and then they will show up on some of the gun auction sites. They are my favorite.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Default.aspxI am sure that everyone knows about this site. This is the Holy Grail of all hard to find gun parts, new, used or discontinued.I paid for my pachmayr grips, used, but in great condition, at this website, for my 645, $9.00. If gunpartscorp.com does not have them, you probably cannot find them elsewhere.Anyway, it took a little while to get used to my hogue grips, but with the exception of my desert eagle and Glock, my Smith and Wesson and Colt Revolver, plus all of my smith and wesson autoloaders, all have the hogue grips.

Ive been looking for a 10mm myself, had high hopes for the forthcoming though now vaporware Vltor/Fortis Bren 10 but thats looking like a no go. So Id love something like this or even a SW 645 which is .45 caliber...one day

• Administrators
Ive been looking for a 10mm myself' date=' had high hopes for the forthcoming though now vaporware Vltor/Fortis Bren 10 but thats looking like a no go. So Id love something like this or even a SW 645 which is .45 caliber...one day[/quote'] +1 on Gunbroker. Bought a few off them and never has a problem. Just watch the seller's rating. I got my 4506 and 645 from there.Haven't tried Gunsamerica yet but I do occasionally take a peek at it.I hate looking at these sites because before my search is over, I found another gun I just couldn't possibly live without! :evil:

• 1 month later...

New 10 mm brother added to my S&W 1006, a Glock 20Hey: Just wanted to add to this thread, that I added a Glock 20, to the collection. For the cost, reliability, compact size, diminished recoil, and the high capacity magazine, it makes a nice back up, high power pistol.The S&W 1006 will always be my prized collectable, but hey, I won't feel bad beating up the Glock 20. It is worth considering adding to the collection, especially, if you want to get a 10mm at a reasonable cost.

thing is though that just like that gunblast guy said unless your using the highest power loads its not really worth it, so I've made up my mind its the 645 just for the normal style grips for me rather than that one piece grip of the 4506.

thing is though that just like that gunblast guy said unless your using the highest power loads its not really worth it' date=' so I've made up my mind its the 645 just for the normal style grips for me rather than that one piece grip of the 4506.[/quote']I could not agree more. However, given the year that the 645 was made, replacement parts can be hard to find. I replace the original grips on my 645 with these grips: http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=10434567However, there were grips that were flat back vs curved, as on the Smith and Wesson 1006. I did replace them with the hogue curved back.

True but with the right grips the gun looks great, even right next to the bren ten:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4889&stc=1&d=1318778549http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4890&stc=1&d=1318778550vs the one in the show which universal dug up for a gunshow a few years ago which showed up on the IMFDB:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4888&stc=1&d=1318778548http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4891&stc=1&d=1318778552Its amazing how much of a difference the latter grips make on it plus they did make a version with a blued slide which might fit on a normal 645 to give it the original look of the bren.http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=256027309the 745 but its SAO and can be carried cocked and locked and I gotta wonder if its a touch recessed on the frame looking at this but if it does actually fit I might be able to snag one and have it hard chromed just for the hell of it or stick with the original look of the 745.and then either cap the right side safety like on the 745Eingefügtes Bildor go with a hex screw for the right side and locktight it, or even just take the right side safety off of the 4506 and put it on it in its place.http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4892&stc=1&d=1318779482

post-592-13892963917123_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963917609_thumb.jpg

post-592-1389296391796_thumb.jpg

post-592-1389296391831_thumb.jpg

post-592-1389296391868_thumb.jpg

For those of us that collect and or at least, interested in 2nd and 3rd generation S&W autos, the following book is a valuable resource.http://www.deltapress.com/smith-wessons-autos-p-531.htmlI agree that the S&W 645 was one of the best guns made for the time, but, the 4506, and the other 3rd generations, did have some better features, hence the upgrade.

• 4 months later...

Just got my CHL and used my Glock 20 (10mm) to qualify.Hi Everyone: Just got my CHL this weekend. Went to the class on Saturday (all day) and went to the range today. I used my Glock 20 (10mm) to qualify with. The only changes to the Glock was a 3.5 lb disconnector for the trigger, adjustable sights, and a steel recoil spring.I had set the sights to match those of the Glock 21 (45cal), just by eyeballing it. To sum it up, the Glock 20 is much more accurate than the Glock 21, even with the Glock 21 with a Bar-stol barrel.The recoil on the Glock 20 was actual less than to Glock 21, and that was using standard 10mm ammo, FMJ.I qualified by the time I hit the 7 yard range (Here in Texas, we use 3 yard, 7 yard and 15 yard) Not sure what the standards are elsewhere. Even at the 15 yard range, and using the Glock 20 for the first time, with minimal changes as I described, I still was in the lethal zone. The rounds that were off were operator error, not the gun. I just need more practice time with it. I was almost as accurate as those who had the 1911, and they had practiced with it for years.For those that are resistent to still buying the Glock 20, I still would say to buy it, even if it is a daily, range, or defense gun till you find a Bren Ten or S&W 1006. The Glock 20 will never replace the S&W that I own, but I would go to war or combat with it, as primary or back up. It is a great big gun in a small package. For $545.00, not a bad price.Ted Nugent swears by the Glock 20, and I will agree with him on it. Just wanted to share the news with everyone here.

Glad to hear the good news. I may of missed it, but why didn't you consider the Glock 29 as it would be easier to conceal carry, especially when it gets hot in Texas.

Glad to hear the good news. I may of missed it' date=' but why didn't you consider the Glock 29 as it would be easier to conceal carry, especially when it gets hot in Texas.[/quote']Good point. Unfortunately, the smaller the gun, the bigger the kick. The Glock 20 and 21 are the same size as the S&W 4566 and 4586.I prefer the size of the standard glock actually. More than likely, it will remain in the glove department. It really does not bother me to carry it, so far.If push comes to shove, I can always pick up a Glock 29 down the road.I appreciate the great advice. Thanks. John

Good point. Unfortunately' date=' the smaller the gun, the bigger the kick. The Glock 20 and 21 are the same size as the S&W 4566 and 4586.I prefer the size of the standard glock actually. More than likely, it will remain in the glove department. It really does not bother me to carry it, so far.If push comes to shove, I can always pick up a Glock 29 down the road.I appreciate the great advice. Thanks. John[/quote']I understand. H

I understand. H

Sorry got cut off for some reason and now it won't let me edit my response. Want to say I understand and hope you never need your pistol why you're away from your car or no one breaks into your car and steals it, but everybody got to do what the want. Good luck with your Glock 20.

Sorry got cut off for some reason and now it won't let me edit my response. Want to say I understand and hope you never need your pistol why you're away from your car or no one breaks into your car and steals it' date=' but everybody got to do what the want. Good luck with your Glock 20.[/quote']True enough. You did bring up a valid point. I think the best choice would be to carry it in the car, and when I leave the car, take it where I can carry it.Great advise. Thanks. John

True enough. You did bring up a valid point. I think the best choice would be to carry it in the car' date=' and when I leave the car, take it where I can carry it.Great advise. Thanks. John[/quote']actually this might help in that regard:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b2EizMiI5g

Now Sooch00 the author there is abit on the pompusfancy side with his style of video and a little bit too obssesed with the chance something going wrong for my taste but he's a gun enthuasist first and a preper second and he doesnt buy into that tactical this or that crap like pompusfancy does so I still watch him occasionally as he puts up a video about something a gun enthuasist like me would like once in awhile, plus the occasional oddity like that.basically its not always about something thats purely tactical and ment frankly only for killing someone like nuntifancy seems to always put out videos about.and frankly nutinfancy seems like a parody of a what the gun haters out there would picture a crazy gunman would be like, hell if it wasnt for the fact that the guy had a family and was in the airforce for a number of years I'd say he's a through and through basement nutjob. sorry about the rant there, it just poped up in my mind as I used to watch sooch00 purely because he seemed to be the anti nutinfancy and then he started mimicking him more and more with his review style and then I switched over to ol hickock 45 and its pretty much been all him save for the video on the 1917 and the rare blued 92FS beretta there.