"Irene" roll call

cageyJG

I have a friend in New York who has got her plan ready. I am finding it so hard to believe that a hurricane is headed that way - it's almost surreal when you read things like Saks closing their NY Fifth Avenue flagship store on the weekend due to the hurricane. Will be thinking of all of you who are in the path of this hurricane. Stay safe everyone.

• Administrators

Allot of news coverage for a wimpy' date=' weaking storm that won't amount to much.[/color']

Hoping you're right but it doesn't look good.

it's almost surreal when you read things like Saks closing their NY Fifth Avenue flagship store on the weekend due to the hurricane.

Not just Saks, mass transit stops running tomorrow at noon and most of New York city will be closed.

I emailed my brother at supper time.He flew back from Washington this morning with his own plane.In washington they had the earthquake so they had to evacuate the building there.He lives in Princeton,New Jersey they are expecting 70mph winds and lots of rain.My brother has a generator that can run the whole house for 3 days and he said they should be ok and that was at 8:55pm eastern time when he told me.The plane is in its own hanger in Newark.So hopefully everything will be ok,He went through an earthquake.CHRIST,he was five minutes away going to work at the world trade center when the planes went through so hope this time everything goes ok.We butt heads sometimes still luv him.Take Care everyone,thinking of you guys

Not just Saks' date=' mass transit stops running tomorrow at noon and most of New York city will be closed.[/quote']Oh yeah definitely you'd expect things in the city to come to a standstill - it's the hurricane bit that's surreal & makes me blink twice. Blizzards & snowstorms I could associate with NYC, but not a hurricane!The thing is that even if the winds settle & don't cause damage, there would still be the risk of heavy downpours and therefore flooding in low lying areas. We saw the devastation of floods here in Australia earlier this year, from rain which wasn't even associated with a cyclone/hurricane. No one could have predicted some of the things that happened (like an inland tsunami) & how fast they happened. And Brisbane, which is Australia's 3rd largest city, wasn't immune to the flooding, because there is a river that runs through the city - it burst its banks & all the low lying areas of the city were flooded. It's better to be prepared than not & I sincerely hope that the impact is as minimal as possible.

We are lucky that it decreased in strength to "Cat I" and hopefully blows through soon. The eye of the storm will be here in an hour, if not sooner. Then I expect 12 more hours of lovin' before things die down. Some flooding here, my skylight is leaking. For the ladies, I pulled myself up unassisted like Tom Selleck, or whoever your favorite action star is, into the attic and walked on narrow beams to try and find the leak(s). If you've read this far, you're awesome.

It's 10:15 PM and I'm baking a Pizzeria Uno's deep dish pepperoni pizza. I'll eat it cold tomorrow if I lose power. :D

My man! I like the way you think. Make two!The winds are getting violent here! Even a CAT I is no joke! Surprised we still have power. This place is going to be a mess in the A.M.Check out Google Earth, they have some great weather overlays.

My man! I like the way you think. Make two!

Only two things prevent me from doing that.1) It's a little warm in here (75 degrees) and the ac is cranking now.2) The smell of pizza makes me very hungry. I'm sooooooo tempted to eat the pizza that came out of the oven 15 minutes ago.I do have some leftover pizza. Hmmmmm......

Guest MetroVice

IreneYou'd never know there was a storm out there when Irene ran parallel to us here in south FL. Although it was just off the coast to our east when it blew by us in the extreme south, we were once again very fortunate because we barely felt much of anything from the storm.You would think we'd get hit more often than we actually do since south Florida is basically just a thin piece of dry land sticking out in the middle of the ocean, practically begging to be creamed. Oddly enough we seem to experience fewer hurricane's blow through our region than many other parts of the USA.We were fortunate this time but are definitely thinking of those to our north. Be safe everyone :thumbsup:

Moron. :birdie:It's pretty calm where I am, but I put on the local news and they have a reporter on the coast about a mile from my house. The surf is very rough, but that didn't keep people from SWIMMING in it! :radar:There have been gusts over 40mph on the coast, but this is only the beginning.

• Administrators

Sunday morning here in Northern N.J. and so far so good. Torrential rain all night. My yard is flooded. A few chipmunks are doing the backstroke but not much else happening. Still, I don't mean to downplay this storm. A lot of people were hit very hard. I just happen to be among the lucky ones!A few more hours and we should be out of it.

Sunday morning here in Northern N.J. and so far so good. Torrential rain all night. My yard is flooded. A few chipmunks are doing the backstroke but not much else happening. Still' date=' I don't mean to downplay this storm. A lot of people were hit very hard. I just happen to be among the lucky ones!A few more hours and we should be out of it.[/quote']Funny about the chipmunks. Glad the storm has weakened and it's not so bad for you. The real danger is that some people who had an easy time, after all the media hype and drama, will not take the next one seriously. The chances are slim but next one could be worse, ah la 1938.