G. Cole/J. Smits as C&T??

Viceman Cometh

I was looking at Gary Cole's bio on IMDB and came across this nugget:"Don Johnson & Philip Michael Thomas edged out Cole and Jimmy Smits for the roles of Crockett & Tubbs in "Miami Vice" (1984)." [my emphasis]I have NEVER heard this before. I'd heard that "CHiPs"' Larry Wilcox was up for the Crockett role, and that Mark Harmon was considered as a replacement during DJ's contract dispute -- but never that Gary Cole and Smits almost landed the parts originally.Can anyone verify that this is accurate Vice lore -- or is it just Internet misiniformation?

I believe Cole auditioned for Crockett and was a runner-up for the role. He didn't get the part but impressed Mann and Yerkovich enough that they brought him back for Trust Fund Pirates in Season 2. Jimmy Smits -- he may have been the strongest contender for Tubbs until he was beaten out by PMT, so they probably offered him the Eddie role in the pilot as a sort of compensation.

• Administrators

When filming for season 3 was beginning DJ was in contract negotiations for a raise. This caused him to not show up for work for 2 or 3 days. Suddenly the rumors began to fly about how Mark Harmon was to replace DJ. Funny thing is that when interviewed Mark Harmon knew nothing about it. So yes that one was just a rumor. Not sure about Gary Cole. Perhaps Coop has some vintage articles on the subject?

My suggestion is: find out what happened behind the scenes in the earlier days of (still named) Gold Coast....that would be interesting...

• 1 month later...

Since I've posted this, I've started watching "Midnight Caller" again. It holds up pretty well. Better than I expected. I've always thought Cole was so underrated.

When filming for season 3 was beginning DJ was in contract negotiations for a raise. This caused him to not show up for work for 2 or 3 days. Suddenly the rumors began to fly about how Mark Harmon was to replace DJ. Funny thing is that when interviewed Mark Harmon knew nothing about it. So yes that one was just a rumor. Not sure about Gary Cole. Perhaps Coop has some vintage articles on the subject?

My vintage articles only confirm what you already know, and stated above.No further information about who was up for the roles.