The Miami Vice (movie)

Ferrariman

• Administrators

Ask and ye shall receive!!My apologies to Cagey for deleting his thread but it was necessary for me to add zero to the poll! Hopefully now we can get a true vote! So let's try this again!

First time I saw it, I really didn't like it. But then I bought the DVD (can't quite remember why, given how little I thought first time around...) and now I like it more and more every time I watch it. It's still not my favourite Mann film by some margin, but it's really grown on me, and it has some awesome moments in it.

• Like 1

Ok. Now thta zero is the lowest score I'll give it a 4. Still only because of Michael Mann. Now back to watching season2, episode, Deinately Miami.

Hey guys! Thanks for the poll...huh...remake :)What about "-1 points" lol ?Miami Vice the movie, selling here in Brazil in a dvd pack with more 2 crappy movies....

• Administrators

I tried very hard to detach myself from the series and look at it as a stand alone movie. For that I gave it a 5 for Michael Mann's style. If not for that my score would be much lower. I have to say that I don't remember the last time I saw a movie hit the budget racks so quickly!

I was disappointed especially with Michael Mann being involved with it. Even borrowing the plot from several episodes it could of been a much better movie. Was it just done to make a quick buck?

• Administrators

I think it was more than just a quick buck. As for borrowing plotlines, as I've said before, who would think that 25 plus years later we would still be talking about these episodes and would notice the smallest details?!

I gave it a three for the action. If it had been only a normal action movie without Miami Vice in the title, I would have given it a higher rate, but as I´d expected it to contain Miami Vice I was very disappointed.

I gave it a 4, because of some good action scenes. The story can't compare with cop movies such as Die Hard or Lethal Weapon. What really disappointed me was the lack of humor and music that the original Miami Vice has.......and the mumble lines by Colin Farrell and the chick Gong Li or whatever her name is.I copied it on DVD but only watched it once since 2007. :pLike Don Johnson said : "I don't know what movie they're making, but it ain't Miami Vice!"

Yep, they lifted the plot from Smuggler's Blues and threw in a duplicitous drug dealer, Neo Nazis and Gong Li. What a mess. The movie is long on the signature Michael Mann visual style for which I rated the movie a 4, but the rest is a total loss for me. Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx had zero chemistry. Gong Li was impossible to understand. I didn't sympathize/identify with any of the characters. Without that emotional attachment I just didn't care very much about what happened to them.

Well...being optimist...we are in the franchise reboot days...Now you see....Don Johnson in few seconds on that Nike commercial had more chemistry than the whole Miami Vice movie....Yknow.... Remember when we watched the commercial, and you have the feeling that Don fits perfectly like a glove as Crockett? Now think about Farrel and Foxx...The best chemistry was promoting the movie. I still didnt understand what was the MMann´s idea towards Farrel as Crockett. Those mumbling lines....I dont like Farrel, but i bet he can do much better, even without a director.And soon we´ll have to watch Foxx and Don in Django....blargh for Foxx.

Seven. 6.0/10 from 58,556 users on iMDB. The first time I watched this on DVD, I was undergoing a medical procedure, and very happy for something to concentrate on to forget about the pain. I am surprised so many people on this site want to give it a very low score, especially after years of us batting around the desire for a Miami Vice movie which grew to a fever pitch while it was in production. I wonder Mann's thoughts on the critiques of the film, and his impetus for making it. Wasn't he approached by Foxx to make it? I think he must have been happy with it. Michael Mann is a true independent. The use of digital videography and beautiful dark imagery all fit the narrative, jilting and apropos to the detective genre; and the decision to film the ending scenes (Gong Li) at the safehouse on a grey day resulted in shots that could not have been more stolid and perfect. I don't think the negatives outweigh nor override all the positives. Even though Foxx has been called a prima donna, his acting was good. I did think the "nookie" scenes were a bit much. The only thing I didn't like about Tubbs was that out of nowhere he was a Cessna pilot; but C&T could've very believably been Army warrant officers with their kind of operational savvy. Colin Farrell did a great Crockett. Switek and Castillo were great in their roles, and it was a shame that we didn't hear more from the other supporting cast, including Zito. I do think that toward the middle, there was a bit of sloughing off, between the introduction to Jose Yero in Haiti and during the build-up between Gong Li and Crockett. This was a very good update to the series. A lot of the issues I think you might find in interagency coordination, counterintelligence and capability were well-interpreted and impressively presented.

7 pointsWith the recent remake of Footloose, I started to think about what could have been with this MV movie. It's clear Footloose embraced much of the elements from the original film. Pretty much everything from the series was lost in this movie. Like many have said before, this movie was decent as a standalone film. But to call it Miami Vice was a let down for us fans.

I gave it a 7 and I'm not at all ashmed of it. I really enjoyed the movie. As how Vice would be in modern times I feel the movie gave a real experience of it. Yes, it was NOTHING like the show which we all know, love and cherish. MM had some spectacular footage and angles in this movie and the sound effects blew my mind. Yes I wish it was more like the series we love yet it had such a fascinating spin on things. I know alot went into it and it's kinda a bummer so little came out of it. If you could script a movie today with todays technology and fasion, how would you do it and who would you want to be in it to make it real as undercover officers? Not an easy thing to do. I may go watch it again... Mike

• 2 weeks later...