Why John Diehl left

cageyJG

O.k., if there is going to be Switek posting going on tonight, there oughta be some Zito too!Can't remember the last time we talked about this, but I tried to remember the reasons why Zito left the series, see if you do before you read on.'MIAMI VICE' FREES ACTOR BY KILLING LIEUTENANT ZITOBy LESLIE BENNETTS Published: January 09, 1987

By the time ''Miami Vice'' is over tonight, Detective Zito will be dead, murdered by a bunch of thugs in a gruesomely ironic way for a vice-squad cop to die.However, John Diehl, the actor who has played Larry Zito since the successful NBC series began, will be celebrating with a group of friends, all of whom have been told to wear black.The occasion marks a momentous break for Mr. Diehl, who decided months ago that he wanted to leave the series. His impending departure inspired a two-part episode, beginning tonight, that revolves around the killing of Detective Zito, a member of the backup team that conducts surveillance and stakeouts for Sonny Crockett and Ricardo Tubbs, the lead characters played by Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas.Mr. Diehl's reasons for leaving ''Miami Vice'' evoke a familiar dilemma for many actors: whether to stay with a lucrative television job that may be less than fulfilling artistically, or opt in favor of better creative opportunities and a drastic loss of income.Although he earned more than $200,000 on ''Miami Vice'' last year, Mr. Diehl decided he would rather come to New York to attempt a serious career in the theater.''I learned a lot doing 'Vice,' but I really didn't feel I could go any further, the way they were writing for the character,'' he explains. ''I read somewhere - I think it was Ron Howard quoting Henry Fonda - that unless you do something different every 18 months, change your career, scare yourself, you're not growing. I needed to keep growing.''

A great answer to a great dilemma. Fulfilment or income? For me at least, it will always be fulfilment. I don't remember what he left to do immediately after Vice, but I say good for him. His character was definitely missed though.http://www.nytimes.com/1987/01/09/arts/miami-vice-frees-actor-by-killing-lieutenant-zito.html

Great post! I also have vintage articles on the subject, although, a bit different.Thank you for posting this! :thumbsup:

Dang, man! I re-read it and the b-b-bling bling for the ching-chang didn't register in my head last time. $200K?! I might've stuck with it longer. He had his reasons and walked away though, I respect that. I hope he doesn't ever regret it.

Dang' date=' man! I re-read it and the b-b-bling bling for the ching-chang didn't register in my head last time. $200K?! I might've stuck with it longer. He had his reasons and walked away though, I respect that. I hope he doesn't ever regret it.[/quote']That was in 86 - 87 dollars. Wonder what that would be like in todays dollars? $400 or $500k? More? Less?

That was in 86 - 87 dollars. Wonder what that would be like in todays dollars? $400 or $500k? More? Less?

Having worked in tv, I would guess he would be pulling in about $50 -$75,000 these days if he had a small role on a hit series. Mind you, this would be for the 2nd or 3rd season. If he kept on until the 4th or 5th season, he'd probably be close to $80 - 90,000 per episode.Multiply that by 22 - 26 episodes and...ka-ching.One of the reasons some shows go off the air even if they're a hit is because it's just so dang prohibitive to pay the fees of the actors and executive producers. This is especially true with hour long dramas where the syndication isn't as lucrative as sitcoms. As the saying in tv goes: You can laugh twice but you can't cry twice.

The irony is that Diehl wanted off the show so badly but has since been one of the most accessible and visible former cast members to speak about the show, attend fan conventions, etc. -- more than PMT, and especially more than DJ. It's kind of a shame because if the stars aligned and the gods smiled and gave us a proper reunion show, Zito couldn't be a part of it in the present day.

The irony is that Diehl wanted off the show so badly but has since been one of the most accessible and visible former cast members to speak about the show' date=' attend fan conventions, etc. -- more than PMT, and especially more than DJ. It's kind of a shame because if the stars aligned and the gods smiled and gave us a proper reunion show, Zito couldn't be a part of it in the present day.[/quote']Perhaps if they did flashbacks to things that may have happened in the past, or visualized what it would be like with him in the present. Kind of like an OBI WAN KENOBI thing with him with Switek in ghost form or something. I dunno.

• 2 months later...

It's certainly my lack of knowledge on the TV business. But I've never ever dreamed John Diehl made that money in Miami Vice. Good for him, I like his character and his acting, and time proved he was able to keep a career.

• Administrators

No way would I walk away from that kind of money. Not now or then!He was nuts.That was the equivalent of Kate leaving NCIS! What was she thinking? I'd ride that sucker out to the bitter end.

• 1 year later...

I was always under the impression that was why he left was for the boxing career. Because I found it ironic that his last episode dealt with boxing. Am I wrong or correct?

I was always under the impression that was why he left was for the boxing career. Because I found it ironic that his last episode dealt with boxing. Am I wrong or correct?

The rest of the article went on to say the Diehl wanted to pursue theater options and would even turn down tv offers. I do know he did some boxing though and also had a number of guest spots in various tv shows.

I had read that John Diehl was dissatisfied with his role as Larry Zito. He allegedly had said that he was tired in sitting in his caravan for hours waiting for a scene to play. His plan to playing more theatre had supported his wish to leave Vice.

• Administrators

You can read John Diehl's answers to these questions in the interview he gave the mvonline.com in 2008--->>> click to read!:done:The whole topic was also discussed in detail during the French Twist Reunion I in 2011. The DVD is still available.

• Administrators

That's the story I remember hearing. :thumbsup: